Author Topic: Scaring the p*ss out of Tom was not my plan....  (Read 8130 times)

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Scaring the p*ss out of Tom was not my plan....
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
Because of the unrelenting radio silence I have decided to write.

Point the First: I am not a stalker. I don't want to know anybody's private lives on The Best Show. No phone numbers, no addresses, no private emails, no real name for Good-n-Poochy. That said....

Point the Second: I really wanted an answer to that long running, barn-burner question. I had spoken to Mike, assumed that Mike had told Tom. When no response came, I said I would call randomly in that thread weeks ago.

Point the Third: I realized very quickly that the call was a dud, so I ejected before switching it over to asking about making PeeperTalk a thing (and I am dead certain that WhipTalk is a parody of the concept).

Finale: Because the whole thing was that unsettling to Tom*, I have decided to abandon my quest for an answer. I will be taking the PeeperTalk concept to this crappy radio show I do on a Mr. Microphone-powered college radio station and seeing if the creeps will call in because it's a social experiment.

*Whom I do not want to see abandon the show "because my fans are psychos" and "the callers are getting weirder." I already went through that with Chappelle's Show, never again.

bdb318

• Policemans heel
Re: Scaring the p*ss out of Tom was not my plan....
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:51 PM »
It doesn't sound like you understand why your call flopped, though. If you are curious as to why it did and would like me to share with you my analysis, do let me know.

Point the First: I am not a stalker. I don't want to know anybody's private lives on The Best Show. No phone numbers, no addresses, no private emails, no real name for Good-n-Poochy. That said....

Point the Second: I really wanted an answer to that long running, barn-burner question. I had spoken to Mike, assumed that Mike had told Tom. When no response came, I said I would call randomly in that thread weeks ago.

Point the Third: I realized very quickly that the call was a dud, so I ejected before switching it over to asking about making PeeperTalk a thing (and I am dead certain that WhipTalk is a parody of the concept).

Finale: Because the whole thing was that unsettling to Tom*, I have decided to abandon my quest for an answer. I will be taking the PeeperTalk concept to this crappy radio show I do on a Mr. Microphone-powered college radio station and seeing if the creeps will call in because it's a social experiment.

*Whom I do not want to see abandon the show "because my fans are psychos" and "the callers are getting weirder." I already went through that with Chappelle's Show, never again.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
It doesn't sound like you understand why your call flopped, though. If you are curious as to why it did and would like me to share with you my analysis, do let me know.

Do tell.

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 04:12:35 PM »
1) You came on the Show with an agenda. Tom routinely hangs up on people who try to commandeer the Show off topic or steer it off in a way that does not fit the sensibilities of the Show. The ultimate arbiter of what the Show's sensibilities are is Tom, because it's his show.

2) You assumed a level of intimacy between caller and callee that was not mutually understood to be the case. This is somewhat spooky. I know that you have called several times in the past, but you may also lack skills in picking up vocal cues.

3) You introduce yourself as being "from the Board". Now, I like this board, too, but let's face it: it's mostly dead. Nobody really uses this anymore, except a scattering of people once in a blue moon. In fact, Tom himself doesn't use it, and he is under no obligation to use it, either. Hounding somebody to respond to something that they are consistently not responding to can plausibly considered a form of harassment in the right circumstances.

4) You hung up on Tom. Hanging up on people is Tom's prerogative alone, and it is extremely bad form for a caller to hang up on the Host. This is the ultimate hallmark of a call gone off the rails and directly into a dumpster fire.

I don't want to make this about you, though. I'm sure you're a nice guy. You probably just don't have an intuitive sense of what makes a Best Show call good and what makes a Best Show call bad. Fortunately, I have an expert sense and will even offer counseling to other FOTs who routinely get GOMPed. Come one, come all.

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
1) You came on the Show with an agenda. Tom routinely hangs up on people who try to commandeer the Show off topic or steer it off in a way that does not fit the sensibilities of the Show. The ultimate arbiter of what the Show's sensibilities are is Tom, because it's his show.

2) You assumed a level of intimacy between caller and callee that was not mutually understood to be the case. This is somewhat spooky. I know that you have called several times in the past, but you may also lack skills in picking up vocal cues.

3) Now, I like this board, too, but let's face it: it's mostly dead. Nobody really uses this anymore, except a scattering of people once in a blue moon. In fact, Tom himself doesn't use it, and he is under no obligation to use it, either. Hounding somebody to respond to something that they are consistently not responding to can plausibly considered a form of harassment in the right circumstances.

4) You hung up on Tom. Hanging up on people is Tom's prerogative alone, and it is extremely bad form for a caller to hang up on the Host. This is the ultimate hallmark of a call gone off the rails and directly into a dumpster fire.

I don't want to make this about you, though. I'm sure you're a nice guy. You probably just don't have an intuitive sense of what makes a Best Show call good and what makes a Best Show call bad. Fortunately, I have an expert sense and will even offer counseling to other FOTs who routinely get GOMPed. Come one, come all.

Holy crud the condescension....are you the Mit Hamine guy? Or is this Captain Jack?

bdb318

• Policemans heel
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:38 AM »
Sorry, dude.

Bull Shannon

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
If I might add, maybe your call would go over better if you actually asked Tom the question you have for him instead of alluding to it when you call. As one of the few people who still haunts the board, even I had to connect the dots and hunt down your initial thread in order to understand what you were referencing. Calling to demand a response to a thread on a forum not many frequent comes off as a bit hostile.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:31 AM »
Now, I like this board, too, but let's face it: it's mostly dead.

:'(
 :-\
 :(
 >:(

"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Vinyl.Score

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Sorry, dude.
No need to be, it was a reasonable response imo
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you

Krokodil_Gena

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »
Now, I like this board, too, but let's face it: it's mostly dead.

:'(
 :-\
 :(
 >:(

Let me say first and foremost that I am not trying to create drama, just trying to communicate with Tom. Secondly, it kills me that this board is quasi-moribund, because the audience seems to use Twitter instead of the chatroom attached to this board. We need to advertise to FOTs.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:47:38 PM »
At least I didn't waste any time posting here.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Dammit

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
I don't FacePlant, InstaHam, or Twat, so the boredz is all I got.

Here's Richard Stallman speaking on the dangers of Facebook in Colombia, where I was an audience member: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imOwT2lPkpA

Here's Richard Stallman speaking on the dangers of IoT and Amazon Alexa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAP4N3KyLmM

Here's Richard Stallman not speaking on any subject, but eating something that he picked off of his foot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQxKURvE9iI

Dammit

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 01:51:51 PM »
Krok - Your call and post do seem to have revived the board a bit. I am not being sarcastic or mean. There is more positive activity recently than there has been in quite some time. You asked my question about Harlan Ellison on a call one time, since I was a-skared to call in myself. You're a good dood and I have always enjoyed your posts here. Fact.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »
Krok - Your call and post do seem to have revived the board a bit. I am not being sarcastic or mean. There is more positive activity recently than there has been in quite some time. You asked my question about Harlan Ellison on a call one time, since I was a-skared to call in myself. You're a good dood and I have always enjoyed your posts here. Fact.

Don't take any of this too seriously. It is show business.

Just keep doing your thing.

I like having you around here.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 12:36:45 AM »

3) Now, I like this board, too, but let's face it: it's mostly dead. Nobody really uses this anymore, except a scattering of people once in a blue moon. In fact, Tom himself doesn't use it, and he is under no obligation to use it, either. Hounding somebody to respond to something that they are consistently not responding to can plausibly considered a form of harassment in the right circumstances.

Holy crud the condescension....are you the Mit Hamine guy? Or is this Captain Jack?

bdb318 called it perfectly. I agree with every note to a T.