Author Topic: Picture Thread  (Read 944882 times)

yesno

• Space Champion!
Re: Picture Thread
« Reply #375 on: March 17, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
I actually saw this on a car yesterday. Seriously, Democrats?

I am trying to understand the problem with this sticker.

The problem is it's the kind of dumb, opportunistic campaign-season sticker that sums up something horrible (Bush) by pointing out something a lot of people are complaining about (gas prices).  It diminishes the bigger issues, I think.  There's a lot more at stake in the world than gas prices.  How many people who complain about gas prices buy a small car, a hybrid, or a bicycle in the USA?  More than ever perhaps, but still, very few.  I went to an auto show last weekend which had all of the new models of cars for the year, and the majority of them are still SUVs and poor-mileage cars, with a few exceptions such as the Prius, a few hybrid SUV's which are still gas guzzlers.  Nothing really groundbreaking, however.  And let's ask our European friends their opinion about our "high" gas prices in the USA... ;)

So, what you're saying is, if everything you say is not universally overreaching, don't say anything at all?

Campaigning is always oversimplified. How could it be otherwise?  So the sticker doesn't really bother me.

(Not that I don't realize that gas prices are a result of macroeconomic forces (for instance, an overvalued dollar) that have been building for decades, but Bush's combination of massive tax cuts with even more massive and wasteful spending increases sure didn't help so it's not like the sticker is totally off base.  Of course, buying into the notion that the President alone is to praise or blame for whatever economic trend is afoot while he's in office is rhetoric that can easily boomerang and lets too many other culpable parties off the hook, in addition to feeding into the notion of the imperial and all-powerful presidency which has been a pretty disastrous development in our government.)

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #376 on: March 17, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
I heard a young girl on the Dusty show a few weeks back say she was for Obama because she thought he would improve the public housing system in New York state. If only I could get here address, I would write her, and boy would I straighten her out! Oh wait, no I wouldn't.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »
from the land of pleasant living

kimota

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2008, 09:00:58 AM »

Sara Cookson, of the Breastfeeding Network, with one of the knitted breasts

They are the latest vital assets for an expectant mum looking to give her little darling the best start in life – knitted boobs.
A Lancashire knitting group has eschewed their usual jumpers and blankets in favour of creating the woollen mammaries.

The knitted breasts – which come in different shapes, sizes and colours – are being used in practical demonstrations to give new mums information on breastfeeding.

http://www.lep.co.uk/weirdnews/Women-knit-false-boobs.3874982.jp

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #380 on: March 18, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
Me at Chris "Frank Sobotka" Bauer's dressing table at about 1AM, trying to write a play.  I didn't get to meet him but I touched his hat.

I also ate a lot of Girl Scout cookies that night.  Thin Mints and Tagalongs.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
Is it wrong that I think this girl looks douchey?

from the land of pleasant living

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »
Is it wrong that I think this girl looks douchey?

everything is douchey about her but her sunglasses.  I have those sunglasses.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »

Laurie

« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2008, 08:00:10 PM »
pr0n!

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Laurie

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
"Dark side of love"? Is this about $5,000 an hour S&M hookers?

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »
HOLY SHIT BLACK TISSUES YOU DID IT AGAIN JAPAN

"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!