Author Topic: Shady Characters  (Read 80553 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Shady Characters
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2008, 11:20:09 AM »
It's made news over here as well (how could it not?).  I'm not sure how much cable news has jumped on it.  

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2008, 11:44:55 AM »
It's made news over here as well (how could it not?).  I'm not sure how much cable news has jumped on it. 

When I visited friends in Brooklyn recently, the TV was on pretty much all the time, tuned only to news channels like MSNBC and CNN, and I don't recall one single news item from outside the US in almost a week. Still, that might not be representative of media as a whole, so I'm sorry I made that assumption.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2008, 12:01:46 PM »
When I visited friends in Brooklyn recently, the TV was on pretty much all the time, tuned only to news channels like MSNBC and CNN

What, no Fox?  They might have covered it if only to gloat that it didn't happen in the US.

I've been reading about the story online at least.  We've got a secret Muslim with a crazy pastor running for president, so naturally cable news' attention is elsewhere at the moment. 

Sarah

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »
I like the caption to Frizl's photo:  "Mr Fritzl is described as domineering and authoritarian."  Really?

Your post made me laugh, Laurie.  Thank you.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »
You guys sucked all the fun out of my Rear Admiral Stufflebeem post.  I hope you're happy.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:33 PM »
You guys sucked all the fun out of my Rear Admiral Stufflebeem post.  I hope you're happy.

Someone in the White House sucked all the fun out of Admiral Shufflebeam. It wasn't us.

*rimshot*
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:33 PM »

"Judge allegedly napped, made baliff rub her feet"

Oh, I recommend reading this one all the way through.  Everyone involved sounds awful.  But the main character is definitely the star:

"Halverson did not respond to an interview request. A shirtless man who answered the door at her home pointed to a "no trespassing" sign and ordered a reporter off the property. The yard is clean these days, after the city cited Halverson for leaving it strewn with junk and letting the water in her pool grow murky and stagnant."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2008, 09:20:18 PM »

Someone in the White House sucked all the fun out of Admiral Shufflebeam. It wasn't us.

maybe it was this lady:

(sorry)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »
Speaking of Belgium, and underreported stories, has anyone noticed that the country's about to dissolve into factions of Walloons and Flemish any second now?
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2008, 04:14:28 AM »
Yeah, there's a lot of tension there, has been for years. The fact that the Belgian national identity/character is so messed up, due to all the various serial killer-pedophilia-corruption scandals during the nineties and onward, doesn't exactly help matters.

The whole situation was bizarrely brought to light by a very ambitious TV prank in 2006.

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2008, 05:40:26 AM »
Speaking of Belgium, and underreported stories, has anyone noticed that the country's about to dissolve into factions of Walloons and Flemish any second now?

what is this a Dr Seuss book?
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

Phantom Hugger

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

http://gothamist.com/2008/03/21/who_killed_obam.php

Fashion designer Doron Braunshtein, aka Apollo Braun, whose store on Orchard Street has been selling T-shirts and hoodies emblazoned with the question 'Who Killed Obama?' says the people leaving him angry messages and death threats just don't get hipster irony. See, he loves Obama, that's why he's selling products that invoke his murder!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »
Bleargh.

Gagneaux

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

http://gothamist.com/2008/03/21/who_killed_obam.php

Fashion designer Doron Braunshtein, aka Apollo Braun, whose store on Orchard Street has been selling T-shirts and hoodies emblazoned with the question 'Who Killed Obama?' says the people leaving him angry messages and death threats just don't get hipster irony. See, he loves Obama, that's why he's selling products that invoke his murder!

creep-zilla!!!

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2008, 12:04:35 PM »
I was flip-flopping on whether this belongs in the creepopedia or here:

An Australian motorist has been fined for putting a seatbelt around a case of beer instead of a five-year-old passenger.

The police officer said the driver looked at him "blankly" when he was issued with a $750 (£365) fine for failing to ensure a child was wearing a seatbelt and for driving a car that was unregistered and uninsured.

Four adults were in the car, two in the front seat and two in the back, said Constable Burnett. The carton of beer, which contained 30 bottles, was strapped in between the two adults in the back.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/13/australia