Author Topic: Everyone should listen to the archives regularly  (Read 6075 times)

Sarah

Re: Everyone should listen to the archives regularly
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
Today I'm revisiting my revulsion for Stevie Blue.  God, the sound of that phlegm-choked voice and that forced ersatz vibrato have caused me to yell "I hate you" at my computer more than even Captain Jack's drivel did a few days ago.  Still, even Mr. Blue has sparked fewer outbursts than did Officer Tom, who is the biggest winner (?) of all.

Don't know if anyone ever posted a link the the NYT article (published March 3, 2002) ol' Stevie was so proud of.  Here 'tis, just in case anyone's interested.  When you can't hear him, he comes off as more pitiable than disgusting.

Have to say, during this recent flurry of archive listening, M.C. Steinberg has sparkled, as annoying as I found his calls when I heard them live.

John Junk

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 03:04:10 PM »
Have to say, during this recent flurry of archive listening, M.C. Steinberg has sparkled, as annoying as I found his calls when I heard them live.

Yeah, Steinberg turned out to be a non-mutant who knew when to push and when to pull back.  It turns out he's like a good guy too!

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »
MC Steinberg is the only funny-voiced caller I ever actively encouraged (much to Tom's initial dismay--if my memory serves, he got regularly gomped on his first few calls). He ran the Gomp Gauntlet and came out on top (unlike my other protege, Larry the Perv, who will remain forever one of the biggest disappointments of my call-screening career).
See God, Kai

Sarah

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »
Ooh, I like this:  Confessions of a Call Screener:  An Intimate Look Behind the Glass, by Associate Producer Mike.

Sarah

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 09:01:38 AM »
Ha, during a game of "I love, I hate," I understood Timmy von Trimble to say he loves kreplach, which I thought revealed interesting depths.  Turns out, though, he loves Kraftwerk.  Much less surprising.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 09:15:21 AM »
Ha, during a game of "I love, I hate," I understood Timmy von Trimble to say he loves kreplach, which I thought revealed interesting depths.  Turns out, though, he loves Kraftwerk.  Much less surprising.

Ha!  If I recall correctly, Timmy was particularly fond of Kraftwerk's "icy beats."
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »
As a newbie, I'm making my first way through the archives... just enjoyed Tom's list of the ten unfunniest people, from Nov '05... I wonder if he did it now, who'd be added? Dane Cook (possibly Darren Cook, deceased?).
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
I'm spending the day doing laundry and packing and listening to some BS archives.

Right now I'm listening to Tom, Jason and Matt discuss fast vs slow zombies and it is so entertaining! I love it. Good callers too! (Just heard old-school Petey)

I hear PBR makes an appearance on this one too but I haven't gotten there yet...

Listen to April 27, 2004 archive! Loads of fun time!

(PS: Officer Tom!)

from the land of pleasant living

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
I never knew Jason was Captain Jack! I always thought it was some random caller. What parts did Bruce play?

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »
Confessions of a Call Screener:  An Intimate Look Behind the Glass, by Associate Producer Mike Gregory.

Fixed.

That joke will never get old.

emma

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »
Oh my goodness. I have been listening to the June 20/06 show and I had forgotten about this moment:

Zachary is proud of his girth, but Tom does not consider an unidentifiable obesity photo in Newsweek true fame. Zachary's retort: "Nigga please.”

This + Tom's reaction = BEST

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »
I'm spending the day doing laundry and packing and listening to some BS archives.

Right now I'm listening to Tom, Jason and Matt discuss fast vs slow zombies and it is so entertaining! I love it. Good callers too! (Just heard old-school Petey)

I hear PBR makes an appearance on this one too but I haven't gotten there yet...

Listen to April 27, 2004 archive! Loads of fun time!

(PS: Officer Tom!)

I think I just listened to this one recently- it culminates in an oddly entertaining on-air arm-wrestling contest, right?

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:37:16 PM »
Oh my goodness. I have been listening to the June 20/06 show and I had forgotten about this moment:

Zachary is proud of his girth, but Tom does not consider an unidentifiable obesity photo in Newsweek true fame. Zachary's retort: "Nigga please.”

Is this the call where he talks about The Fudge Tub and calls regular fruit (with no fudge coating) "dumb fruit"? That's one of my favorites.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

emma

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 01:48:06 AM »

Is this the call where he talks about The Fudge Tub and calls regular fruit (with no fudge coating) "dumb fruit"? That's one of my favorites.

Yes! I ended up relistening to that call like three times.

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 03:53:51 AM »
I've been listening to at least one episode per night since about January ... Life's good.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.