Author Topic: Hate Pit Continued  (Read 75686 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Hate Pit Continued
« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »
Matt, I'm getting a little of that Abraham vibe from you.  I have an MFA and I teach creative writing, so believe me, I know how tedious it can be, but everybody has to start somewhere.  In my experience almost no one starts out as a genius, and the few who do rarely progress beyond that.

I don't know who this Abraham character is, but if this is a veiled criticism of me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it.

But seriously, I was hoping my post wouldn't come off as know-it-all or superior, or anything like that; I'm certainly in the same boat ability-wise as all these people, and all their stories have had at least one moment that I found to be really great writing. I think I might have just gotten a little too angry about this "Wakefield" guy and decided to make an unfair statement about my writing class in general, which was wrong of me.

But, oh, this "Wakefield" guy, he got my goat good. We had an English class together last semester and "Wakefield" was one of the texts covered, so I know he's read it. It was plagiarism, pure and simple, and I think it's right to be upset about it, since everybody else had no problem bringing something new to the table. If Hawthorne could have read this guy's story, he would have beaten him with Robin's oaken cudgel. (Hawthorne joke!) So, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm taking the story-readin' out of the Hate Pit, and putting "Wakefield" guy in there instead.

I feel much better.

Abraham was the guy who got GOMPed the week before last - the whole actor thing?  Obviously you're nothing like that guy, but I was referring to the criticism of people who haven't yet gotten where they're going, if that makes sense.

But I've definitely hate-pitted specific people in my writing classes.

I actually have a lot of very established writers in my hate-pit, mostly middle-aged white men who have achieved a great deal of success (as in Pulitzer nominations, plays on Broadway and/or made into movies) but whose work I don't like and who like to throw their weight around.  I feel totally OK hating them.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

emma

« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2008, 10:25:29 PM »
I actually have a lot of very established writers in my hate-pit, mostly middle-aged white men who have achieved a great deal of success (as in Pulitzer nominations, plays on Broadway and/or made into movies) but whose work I don't like and who like to throw their weight around.  I feel totally OK hating them.

David Mamet's in my hate pit.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #287 on: February 20, 2008, 10:37:03 PM »

David Mamet's in my hate pit.

Me too!  Me too!  But I'm not actually talking about him.

Now that I think about it, the biggest jerks I've encountered are the people who had all the successes you're supposed to have, but are still not famous in any real world way (that is, famous like Mamet, or Neil LaBute, whose work I hate but who I hear is a very nice guy, or Tony Kushner, who actually is a really nice guy and very approachable).  I bet that just drives them nuts.  They don't really have any kind of downtown arty cachet either, so they lose out on both ends.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
Has anyone mentioned John Mayer yet?

That dude is in my hate pit for sure.

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2008, 05:32:45 PM »
Has anyone mentioned John Mayer yet?

That dude is in my hate pit for sure.
when I was studying celebrity gossip, I thought this guy john mayer was hot, despite his white trash hair style. Then he opened his mouth and starting speaking, which is an effing shame.
I have a long history of booing

Julie

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
Matt, I'm getting a little of that Abraham vibe from you.  I have an MFA and I teach creative writing, so believe me, I know how tedious it can be, but everybody has to start somewhere.  In my experience almost no one starts out as a genius, and the few who do rarely progress beyond that.
Jasongrote, you aint in my hate pit.
I have a long history of booing

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »

Jasongrote, you aint in my hate pit.

Aw, thanks, Julie.  You make a guy feel not so common!

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7CygpIOH8c[/youtube]
hate pit
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #293 on: February 22, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
hate pit

I guess the word "douchebag" is officially over.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #294 on: February 22, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
when I was studying celebrity gossip, I thought this guy john mayer was hot, despite his white trash hair style. Then he opened his mouth and starting speaking, which is an effing shame.
At my gym one day I saw a guy and in my head thought 'Who's that handsome guy?'. It was John Mayer. He's terrible at both music and comedy, but in person he is strikingly handsome. Very tall.
The only hate-pit worthy thing he has done is stand-up and the only thing that makes it hate pit worthy to me is when that was happening I was doing stand-up and because he is famous (weirdly famous considering his terribleness) he was able to drop-in at the Comedy Cellar which is the hardest club in NYC to get passed at. For his first time. I found that annoying, but not hate pit worthy.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #295 on: February 22, 2008, 11:15:30 AM »
keep your rules off my hate pit.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

John Junk

« Reply #296 on: February 22, 2008, 01:10:07 PM »
hate pit

These kinds of guys are just one of the various "types" you will find at Improv 101 classes.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #297 on: February 22, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »
hate pit

[using the word "douchebag" a lot] PLUS [plucked eyebrows] EQUALS [Comedy!]
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #298 on: February 22, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »
hate pit

These kinds of guys are just one of the various "types" you will find at Improv 101 classes.

Perhaps, but I have no doubt that this guy stayed up all night rehearsing. And it worked! I think he's hilarious! I haven't laughed so hard since Hulk Hogan did his "Dumb Musclehead" character on Conan a month ago!
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #299 on: February 22, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
At my gym one day I saw a guy and in my head thought 'Who's that handsome guy?'. It was John Mayer. He's terrible at both music and comedy, but in person he is strikingly handsome. Very tall.
The only hate-pit worthy thing he has done is stand-up and the only thing that makes it hate pit worthy to me is when that was happening I was doing stand-up and because he is famous (weirdly famous considering his terribleness) he was able to drop-in at the Comedy Cellar which is the hardest club in NYC to get passed at. For his first time. I found that annoying, but not hate pit worthy.

Wait, John Mayer does stand-up?