Author Topic: Top Ten Books of 2007 (my picks)  (Read 5098 times)

bruce

Top Ten Books of 2007 (my picks)
« on: December 26, 2007, 09:35:53 AM »
Since I actually cover books that people would enjoy reading. Not the type that you force your way through to seem like some high brow hipster.

Top Ten Books of 07

Sarah

Re: Top Ten Books of 2007 (my picks)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:08:02 AM »
Now if only you'd put together a list of the kinds of books I like to read:  fiction, humorous though not exclusively comical.  Examples:  Kingsley Amis, Evelyn Waugh, Neal Stephenson, Michael Malone's Handling Sin, John Irving at his best, David Lodge,  (which he has not been for ages), Carl Hiaasen, Elmore Leonard, Jonathan Ames . . .  You get the gist.

To hell with depth; I just want to be entertained.

bruce

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 10:31:22 AM »
I love Elmore Leonard and cover him when I can but they are mainly his older stuff. These picks were the ones that I received to review. In other words newer books buy the likes of Hiaasen and Leonard never come our way. I've only read one Kingsley Amis book and that was his James Bond one Colonel Sun. I do know he has a new book coming out later this year lets hope for a review copy coming my way.

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »
I know, Bruce.  I just wish I liked the kinds of books you review so I could take advantage of your recommendations. 

bruce

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
I think you got the wrong Kingsley Amis there, Bruce. He's dead. I enjoyed his most famous book, Lucky Jim. And I didn't feel like a high brow hipster after I read it.

What's your take on Joseph Conrad? I'm currently reading The Secret Agent. I'm enjoying it even if it's slow-going at times. I'm not sure whether he would qualify as a high brow hipster writer. I just like it.
See God, Kai

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Bruce.  I'll check 'em out.

B_B, Bruce knows his stuff:  Kingsley Amis wrote Colonel Sun under the pseudonym Robert Markham.  (I didn't know this off the top of my head; thank you, Wikipedia.)  And you might like The Anti-Death League.  I remember it fondly, anyway.  But, hell, I'm reading the last Harry Potter at the moment; who am I to recommend anything?

bruce

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 03:02:56 PM »
I think you got the wrong Kingsley Amis there, Bruce. He's dead. I enjoyed his most famous book, Lucky Jim. And I didn't feel like a high brow hipster after I read it.

No I've got the right one The Distilled Kingsley Amis. I never said it was something new by him just something new coming out.

I read Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent back in High School, did not much care for it. Since as you even stated slow going. Still its better then forcing myself through another LeCarre tome.

I do have Anti-Death League on my shelf Sarah keep meaning to read it.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:16:25 PM »
Yeah, I was unaware of that Bond book he wrote under a pseudonym, too. The mention of a new book threw me. I guess they're digging through his papers. 
See God, Kai

Skiddy Kid

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 03:35:37 PM »
Since I actually cover books that people would enjoy reading. Not the type that you force your way through to seem like some high brow hipster.

Top Ten Books of 07

This is quite possibly the most idiotic thing I have ever read. Equating high-brow books with hipsterism in order to make a case for your own low-brow tastes being underground and cool is a fallacy and a hypocritical one at that. A reviewer should approach a book on individual merit not its genre or a notional association with the kids that got more action than you in college.
I can certainly understand the appeal of the pulp novel and its modern day emulators, but if any of the books you've chosen are as poorly written as your reviews then I doubt I'd make it past the first page.

bruce

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »
What I'm referring to are these books that get all this high praise and once you try and read them your like huh.

I mean how many folks ran out and read that new Dennis Johnson book. After reading both Already Dead and Jesus's Son I'll take a pass. I've spent many years reading books that in the end were nothing but long winded disappointments.

So I'll leave the Vollmans and the Wallaces to others out there to read.

BTW Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite writers

Sploops

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 04:21:12 PM »
You nerds read books?  Pshaw!  Books are for nerds.  Which you are.  Nerds.

Nerds!

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »
I mean how many folks ran out and read that new Dennis Johnson book.

Certainly not me.  I asked Sonta Claus for it and he delivered.  It's up next right after Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion and Dave Eggers'* What Is the What, all of which I'm reading solely to impress those chicks in the American Apparel ads.

*NOTE: I hated ...Staggering Genius, if that restores my credentials as a normal person.

bruce

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
Certainly not me.  I asked Sonta Claus for it and he delivered.  It's up next right after Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion and Dave Eggers'* What Is the What, all of which I'm reading solely to impress those chicks in the American Apparel ads.

*NOTE: I hated ...Staggering Genius, if that restores my credentials as a normal person.

I read Genius and You Shall Know Our Velocity, I enjoyed only one of them and was still some what left disappointed.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:58 PM »
What I'm referring to are these books that get all this high praise and once you try and read them your like huh.

I remember having this experience a few years back with Don DeLillo's Underworld. After a great intro/first section it became one of the biggest reading chores ever.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.