Author Topic: Berlin Alexanderplatz  (Read 4351 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Berlin Alexanderplatz
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:09:05 PM »
At 931 minutes, Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Berlin Alexanderplatz is arguably the longest narrative film of all time.

Has anyone seen it?  Have you had a relatable experience with any other epically long film?  I was thinking of renting and burning all seven discs of the Criterion version from Netflix, and then having a single day Platz-A-Thon with a few friends.  Good idea?/Bad idea?

Also encouraging is this review:
[youtube]UkAJ8mlo3U4[/youtube]

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
Re: Berlin Alexanderplatz
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Great movie. I laughed in spots.
See God, Kai

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
It's strictly speaking not a film, it's a TV series.

[/jerk]

harris

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
yeh i think it is to be watched as a tv series. ill probably never watch it as i am not a big fassbinder fan but i was kiand of bummed when i heard it was coming out on dvd. i always thought it was more impressive that such a giant film was so hard to find. i reember being impressed when linklater said he had watched it like five times.

bruce

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:09:30 PM »

Also encouraging is this review:
[youtube]UkAJ8mlo3U4[/youtube]
he loses points for the US maple poster in the background.

No Underbites I saw Von Trier's The Kingdom* in one sitting when it was showing at Art House theaters and that was long enough

*then had to wait years to see what happened next

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:34:56 PM »
Good idea?/Bad idea?

If you're in the New York area in the next few days you can catch it at PS1, which has it playing nonstop in a weird set up and a bunch of background info, pictures and related stuff. I saw some of it, and it was, uh, a little too German for me.

http://www.ps1.org/ps1_site/content/view/281/63/

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »
Good idea?/Bad idea?

If you're in the New York area in the next few days you can catch it at PS1, which has it playing nonstop in a weird set up and a bunch of background info, pictures and related stuff. I saw some of it, and it was, uh, a little too German for me.

http://www.ps1.org/ps1_site/content/view/281/63/

Wow, I'm considering this.  On one hand, I'm nary a car + train ride away.  On the other, I kind of want to watch this in the comfort of my home so I can play ping-pong and eat Platz Snackz while I watch.

Either way, thanks senor.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:37:53 AM »
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
I'm gearing up for BA.  I've got to get a few other movies out of the way first.

Also, am I the only one on Earth who didn't like Ali: Fear Eat the Soul?* Maybe I should watch it again.  I did really like Marriage of Maria Braun.

*I also plan to raise this question at this year's Super Bowl party.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »
It is FINISHED!  Has anyone else seen it since the dvd release? 

To echo that YouTube reviewer, it's... good.  It's funny how reminiscent this film (yes, that's what I'd call it) seems to The Sopranos today, what with the weird magnetism of its anti-hero, the chunks of tedium giving way to riveting drama, and the hallucinatory epilogue, which doesn't seem nearly as jarring as it must have in the early 80's. 

Recommended for casual-paced viewing.  No need to try to tackle it all in one weekend or whatever. 

nkrauter

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 08:32:56 PM »
I'm about 2/3 of the way through it.  It seems to be taking me a long time, like the one-hour episodes feel like two-hour films to me, but I like it.  It's really odd and compelling in a way that's hard to describe.  It took a few episodes before it stopped making me feel weird and confused.  Anyway, I'm anxious to hear what other people have to say about it.