Author Topic: Figure skating nostalgia (mainly for Laurie)  (Read 2380 times)

Sarah

Figure skating nostalgia (mainly for Laurie)
« on: January 30, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »
Toller Cranston:

[youtube]YZJr7g0C9S0[/youtube]

And John Curry, the man who inspired him and possibly the best figure skater ever:

[youtube]C-utXsdR9CQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Laurie

Re: Figure skating nostalgia (mainly for Laurie)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this!

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »
Katarina Witt was my favorite. Such a badass.

[youtube]r3OkF-lbh30[/youtube]

She flubs up a bit during this routine, but I remember being ten and seeing this. It really stuck with me, and she'd been my favorite for awhile. This sealed the deal.

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »
I loathed Katarina Witt as a skater: elephantine and melodramatic, I always thought, with far too much posing.  I have liked her fine as a commentator, but her skating made me shudder.

I haven't liked many female skaters; can't think of a favorite, in fact.  But I love   Torvill and Dean (of course) and John Curry and am very fond of the Duchesnay siblings, John Curry, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Paul Wylie, and Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner.

I must say I hate the current fashion among the women skaters of pulling the tights over the skates.  Makes 'em all look club-footed.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
I must say I hate the current fashion among the women skaters of pulling the tights over the skates.  Makes 'em all look club-footed.

I hate that too.

I liked Witt because I thought she was bolder and less delicate looking than many of her female counterparts. I also liked Michelle Kwan a lot. They were really marketed to girls my age at the time though, so that could be part of it.

I actually was the opposite of you, Sarah. I liked watching the women much more than the men. Although I do really appreciate Toller Cranston, and Johnny Weir is not only graceful but hilariously fabulous.

One figure skater I really couldn't stand was Nancy Kerrigan. Totally unoriginal, stiff, and bland bland bland

Sarah

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:40:49 AM »
There were quite a few sturdy skaters back in Katarina Witt's day, though. I mean, her chief rival was no fragile flower (and also to be admired for being the first woman to compete in trousers--I hate the way the women all feel compelled to flash their crotches).  Nowadays, many of them seem to be prepubescent.  Hell, the men are boys, too.  Can you imagine a 26-year-old skater getting anywhere nowadays?

Nancy Kerrigan was terrible, and if Tonya Harding could have been consistent and weren't a thug, she would easily have beaten her.  I remember seeing Harding compete in the Nationals before she was really considered a contender; not much grace, but boy that girl could jump.  Kerrigan excelled at nothing.

I miss prequad skating.  I miss the days when jumping wasn't everything.  I even miss the old judging system, though it used to make me shout at the television in frustration.  I trust the new system no more, but now I can't direct my hatred at individual judges.

Have you noticed how poor Dick Button is losing his marbles?  I'll be sad when he retires--he's one of the only commentators who speaks intelligently about both technique and artistry--but I hope he leaves before he's completely batty.

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 09:02:08 AM »
I watched figure skating with my mom when I was a little girl. I mostly watched it for sequined costumes and pretty ladies. I had no interest whatsoever in men's skating and was only marginally interested in pairs and even less interested in ice dancing. I lost interest in figure skating around 12, so I think I probably missed out on Michelle Kwan when she was good. I regained interest when I was in college. I hated Michelle Kwan. I hated that the commentators loved her. All I saw was a boring skater who did the same program every year and had a wobbly spiral sequence with a constipated face. Booooooo-ring.

I also hate Kimmie Meissner. She has a turd face. I mean, it looks like she's always smelling something bad! I don't know, there's just something bratty about her. I also hate how the commentators love her for no discernible reason. Her jumping technique is sloppy, she lacks grace, and she only gets marginally better with each passing year. Just compare her performances with Caroline Zhang, Mao Asada, and Yu Na Kim. There's no comparison. And thank god Caroline Zhang came along. There was a dearth of talent in American women's skating, and it's always a pleasure to watch her.

I'm shocked that Kimmie Meissner continues to medal. I just don't get it.

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
I'm shocked that Kimmie Meissner continues to medal. I just don't get it.

Well, she didn't this time around.  Of course, she's still on the U.S. team for the World Championship, because the winner and runner-up in the Nationals are too young, but she's only there by default.  Take heart.