Author Topic: Malkmus on Fox News  (Read 6976 times)

Matthew_S

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Malkmus on Fox News
« on: March 31, 2008, 10:49:56 AM »
Stereogum posted this so I imagine many of you already saw it... but I figured the pavement/malkmus fandom here was enough to share it:

http://stereogum.com/archives/video/stephen-malkmus-visits-fox-news-red-eye_008644.html#more

anyone a fan of this show?

KickTheBobo

Re: Malkmus on Fox News
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »
I love the faces that dude makes.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
He is nothing without Spiral Stairs. Nothing. Garbage.

PAVEMENT FOR LIFE

Oh hey is it OK that I used styles and stuff in my post?? Wouldn't want to make anyone feel put out by overuse of font formatting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
from the land of pleasant living

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
He is nothing without Spiral Stairs. Nothing. Garbage.

PAVEMENT FOR LIFE

Oh hey is it OK that I used styles and stuff in my post?? Wouldn't want to make anyone feel put out by overuse of font formatting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeez, what a blowhard braggart!!  Get over yourself!  (kidding).

This new Malkmus album is breaking my heart with its mediocrity.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:58 PM »
“Cannonball” was a big crossover hit. Ever get sick of it?
No. That used to be a popular stance for indie-rockers to take. If somebody actually liked one of their songs, then they would hate the song. I was never like that.

Did the success of that song cause any jealousy among your indie-rock peers?
You know, [Pavement’s Stephen] Malkmus is being a bit of a bitch in interviews recently. One thing he said last summer referred to me as “trashy mouth.” And he just did this article in Spin where he alluded to me unpleasantly, saying [something like], “You know, I always thought that Pavement could have had one of those big hits in the early ’90s with ‘Cut Your Hair,’ but I guess people preferred ‘Cannonball.’ ”

Are you a fan of his music?
Yeah, I liked Pavement. But if he keeps fucking smacking his mouth off about me, I’m going to end up not being able to listen to any of their fucking records again. Anyway, I thought, God, man, “Cut Your Hair” isn’t as good of a song as “Cannonball,” so fuck you. How’s that? Your song was just a’ight, dawg.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
Your song was just a’ight, dawg.

Kim Deal channeling Randy Jackson. I love it.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:44 AM »
Pavement still crushes

CRUSHES

The Breeders.

and I like the Breeders.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
“You know, I always thought that Pavement could have had one of those big hits in the early ’90s with ‘Cut Your Hair,’ but I guess people preferred ‘Cannonball.’”

I saw this interview too, and I've gotta say, I don't really see where the big slam is in that sentence. He thought "Cut Your Hair" could have been a bigger hit than it was. "Cannonball" turned out to be a bigger hit. And? It's not like he said "I guess people preferred really shitty songs like 'Cannonball' instead." 

I think the idea that Stephen Malkmus might be jealous of The Breeders' hit single is a stretch. Number 1: as much as I love the Breeders, everybody knows Pavement kills them any day of the week. And number 2: a guy as smug as Stephen Malkmus being jealous of anybody? C'mon.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »
“You know, I always thought that Pavement could have had one of those big hits in the early ’90s with ‘Cut Your Hair,’ but I guess people preferred ‘Cannonball.’”

I saw this interview too, and I've gotta say, I don't really see where the big slam is in that sentence. He thought "Cut Your Hair" could have been a bigger hit than it was. "Cannonball" turned out to be a bigger hit. And? It's not like he said "I guess people preferred really shitty songs like 'Cannonball' instead." 

I think the idea that Stephen Malkmus might be jealous of The Breeders' hit single is a stretch. Number 1: as much as I love the Breeders, everybody knows Pavement kills them any day of the week. And number 2: a guy as smug as Stephen Malkmus being jealous of anybody? C'mon.

Maybe she was offended by his lumping together of "Cannonball" and "Come Out and Play". Whatever, though. They've both had successful music careers, and shouldn't be wasting time lashing out at each other.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 01:31:01 PM »
Pavement still crushes

CRUSHES

The Breeders.

and I like the Breeders.

Nah, Breeders crush Pavement.

Pavement's still good, but the Breeders are still phenominal. Last Splash? One of my desert island albums...
from the land of pleasant living

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »

Nah, Breeders crush Pavement.

Pavement's still good, but the Breeders are still phenominal. Last Splash? One of my desert island albums...

Oh Erika, what are we gonna do with you?

Spoony

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »
Ack. After all that Kim Deal took from the world, I was not ready to ever like the Breeders. This Ban still holds with me.

Remember when everyone was all huffy that Elastica had a song that sounded like Cannonball? I bought five of those Elastica albums just to spite Deal. Elastica was my stocking stuffer gift to everyone I knew that following Christmas. When they toured the US, there was a stop in Rochester, NY because of the rash of album sales going on there. The poor girls expected a sold out show, but it was just me in a Pixies t-shirt.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »
Pavement Confession: I have a long-running fantasy of performing a solo piano and vocal version of 'AT&T' in some smoky Vegas bar as part of a lounge act.

ericluxury

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
Pavement crushes Breeders, but in the Cut Your Hair v. Canonball? Canonball smashes. Its catchier and poppier and weirder at the same time. If you go by merits, its better and if you were to project which would be a hit, its much more striking a song.

Miss

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
I LOVE the Breeders.

but -nothing- tops Pavement.

And ladies, is Stephen Malkmus getting sexier with age? Rawr.