Author Topic: I Don't Get It '08  (Read 32932 times)

Sarah

Re: I Don't Get It '08
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »
First of all, "Listen here, Siddhartha:" = best opening line of a response to a post of mine I've ever gotten.

I know!  Wasn't that just beautiful?  I loved it all the more because the Zenniness of your post had earlier caused me to chuckle.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

Second, my point is just that you obviously DO care - you have opinions!  Trust me - I'm with you on which tidbits of info I'd rather have clogging my synapses - but it is what it is - I just want you to be able to embrace your inner non-"straight"-ness.

Ok, you got me on this one. What I SHOULD have wrote was:

I Don't Get It '08 - Whatever compels me to give a toss about the things I, and other people, wear (aka 'Fashion').

I did, after all, give TBSOWFMU listeners carte blanche to shoot me in the face if I ever tucked my t-shirt into shorts.

Also, my apologies to any 'straight' or 'non-straight' or 'somewhere in-between' folks out there: It was dumb of me to somehow associate high fashion with non-straightness. This is a stereotype, and as You Can't Do That On Television taught me many years ago: Stereotypes Are Wrong. I'm sure there are as many men, both gay, straight and in-between that are kickin' the sweatpants and BIG DOGZ t-shirt look.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
Sidenote here, which I found interesting. I was gonna post a pic of one of those Big Dogz t-shirts, but then I thought that maybe a good anti-fashion combo would be sweatpants and a 'Remember 9/11" type shirt, so I did a google image search for "9/11 t-shirt".

Almost all of the results are 9/11 CONSPIRACY t-shirts! Wow, it's amazing how much things have changed in the past 7 years. It's sorta like Google Image Search is the new Zogby Poll.

andrew in philadelphia

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »
-Sleater-Kinney

I only like 'The Woods', which is the least Sleater-Kinney-ey of all of them. It's the aural equivalent of 'Mission Impossible 3', which came out the same year, and I must say I very much enjoyed. All the pre-'Woods' stuff, though, I don't care for.

I think The Hot Rock and Dig me Out are great records.

amen - though "the woods" in no slouch either. they're maybe the best example i can think of regarding a band that others tell me they don't get and i can totally understand why.

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »

Second, my point is just that you obviously DO care - you have opinions!  Trust me - I'm with you on which tidbits of info I'd rather have clogging my synapses - but it is what it is - I just want you to be able to embrace your inner non-"straight"-ness.

Ok, you got me on this one. What I SHOULD have wrote was:

I Don't Get It '08 - Whatever compels me to give a toss about the things I, and other people, wear (aka 'Fashion').

I did, after all, give TBSOWFMU listeners carte blanche to shoot me in the face if I ever tucked my t-shirt into shorts.

Also, my apologies to any 'straight' or 'non-straight' or 'somewhere in-between' folks out there: It was dumb of me to somehow associate high fashion with non-straightness. This is a stereotype, and as You Can't Do That On Television taught me many years ago: Stereotypes Are Wrong. I'm sure there are as many men, both gay, straight and in-between that are kickin' the sweatpants and BIG DOGZ t-shirt look.

Stereotypes are wrong*, but you, KTB, are right!

*but not necessarily not funny

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 01:52:27 PM »
Hey, TL, do rock stars get lots of free records?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »

Stop that.

Stan

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

Stop that.

Seriously Dave, let's try to keep this thread on topic.
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

perry

• Policemans heel
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
bluetooth in your car

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
Bobo, where did you find that picture of me?

I gotta say: Judd Apatow.  People I generally agree with love him, and I actually watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin twice just to make sure, but I came away from it even more convinced that it was a big piece of crap-ola.  Apparently he's a really nice guy or something, because everyone seems to like him.  And no, I haven't seen Freaks and Geeks yet.  It's somewhere on my Netflix queue.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
Judd's been running his cred engine off the goodwill from Freaks and Geeks for years now.  But that shit's not a renewable resource.  I thought knocked up was okay but 40y.o.v. stank.  Superbad was better, but Seth Rogan wrote that, Judd Apatow mostly produced it and acted like a guiding light.  To me, I see these Sarah Marshall ads and my goodwill towards Apatow starts thinkin' about shopping for a coffin.  I'm beginning to think Freaks and Geeks' awesomeness has more to do with the other writers and co-producers of the show, and that Apatow had a really great year of casting in him that he's been living off ever since.  That one guy from Freaks in this Sarah Marshall movie, though, ---this guy canNOT carry a film.  sawry!

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
This reminds me of a funny story: my good friend Danny*, who is a big-faced, happy, ruddy Irish guy, got snapped up for an outstanding bench warrant and was taken to the tombs for the weekend (he's fine).  He said his nickname in the clink was "That Seth Rogan N****."  It's funnier out loud, especially when he says it.

*Ex-Batistick roommate, JJ
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »
Two and a Half Men. It's a show I expected to last five minutes that has become a primetime cornerstone. I've never watched it and really don't want to. Why does it exist? I don't get it?

OMG, Yes.  My parents love that show.  Although they are pretty prim and proper, they get all giddy when masturbatory jokes are featured.  The theme for the show is Bobby McFerrin 2.0 and makes me cringe.  But if Tony Coulter looped it, I would probably love it.  I don't get it, and don't want to get it.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 08:11:06 PM »
-Sleater-Kinney

I only like 'The Woods', which is the least Sleater-Kinney-ey of all of them. It's the aural equivalent of 'Mission Impossible 3', which came out the same year, and I must say I very much enjoyed. All the pre-'Woods' stuff, though, I don't care for.

I think The Hot Rock and Dig me Out are great records.

amen - though "the woods" in no slouch either. they're maybe the best example i can think of regarding a band that others tell me they don't get and i can totally understand why.

One Beat is in the top 10 of the 00's in my opinion. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their stuff. I didn't like The Woods at all and The Hot Rock and Dig Me Out are just ok. I don't know why One Beat is so different for me.

TL

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2008, 12:27:47 AM »

Define "records."
That is to say, at my level, you tend to get a lot of demos, if you know what I'm sayin'...
But free "records?"  I'll ask Eddie Vedder for you.
Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...