Author Topic: Maps, Charts, and Shit  (Read 85951 times)

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
Re: Maps, Charts, and Shit
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »
Yeah, that's true.  I would love to be in a band called "Orangutan Surfing Civilization."  And I'm frankly surprised there isn't a band called "United States of Lions."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
I think I have decided my next art project is to come up with album covers or show posters for all of the "band names" on that map.

Let's see...where did I put all that leftover time....
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

Pidgeon

« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
"Kangarat Murder Society"

Well, it's good to see Australia is still badass in the future.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »

Experiments are already underway at the 5,000 foot level, but the lab intends to run its dark matter experiments as deep as possible in a lab called the Xenon detector experiment, or LUX. Doing the experiments deep inside the earth isn't just a demonstration in mad science; it's also a way to keep out interfering cosmic radiation.

The effects of dark matter in these experiments are so minuscule that any interfering radiation could throw off any experiments done at ground level. To get any real data, these experiments require a lot of shielding. Thousands of feet of earth should do the job just fine.

This $550 million project should be up and running by 2016.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
I'm down with it.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2009, 01:28:51 AM »

Experiments are already underway at the 5,000 foot level, but the lab intends to run its dark matter experiments as deep as possible in a lab called the Xenon detector experiment, or LUX. Doing the experiments deep inside the earth isn't just a demonstration in mad science; it's also a way to keep out interfering cosmic radiation.

The effects of dark matter in these experiments are so minuscule that any interfering radiation could throw off any experiments done at ground level. To get any real data, these experiments require a lot of shielding. Thousands of feet of earth should do the job just fine.

This $550 million project should be up and running by 2016.

I wonder if you could get the bends from being that deep in the earth. 
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Trotskie

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
Cost to erect New Yankee Stadium: 1.5 billion $
Cost to build 8000' deep underground dark matter research laboratory: 550 million $

huh.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2009, 08:56:31 PM »
Cost to erect New Yankee Stadium: 1.5 billion $
Cost to build 8000' deep underground dark matter research laboratory: 550 million $

huh.

That kind of thinking will get you in trouble.

I know.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
I have a soft spot for this thread, I admit it.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2009, 12:56:51 AM »

I wonder if you could get the bends from being that deep in the earth. 
I don't think so.  If I remember correctly, the bends are caused by the additional pressure that the water applies to you and your body not being able to decompress from that as quickly as it is retired to when you surface too quickly.

I think the effects would be more akin to the thin air in higher altitudes, except the opposite (whatever that would be.)  But, I'm also dumb and have no proof to back that up.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Google tells me that much underground work involved the use of compressed air (to prevent cave-ins or to keep out water), so the bends might indeed be a danger for the people involved in the construction of such a facility.  

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »
"The Bends" would be somewhere out around Procyon, right?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:26 AM »
Enjoy your Punky Brewster, Formalhaut!

God, I have waiting DECADES to use that line!
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2009, 02:01:18 PM »
Google tells me that much underground work involved the use of compressed air (to prevent cave-ins or to keep out water), so the bends might indeed be a danger for the people involved in the construction of such a facility. 
but the cause of the bends is the differential in pressure outside of your body and how your lungs expand and contract with that pressure, I thought?  That's why it's called decompression sickness? The compressed air would lead to nitrogen narcosis, but not the bends, if I'm thinking correctly.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Sarah

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »
The bends are caused by dissolved nitrogen entering the bloodstream and moving into the soft tissues, then expanding, forming bubbles, when decompression takes place too quickly.  As long as one is under pressure, there's no problem.

Nitrogen narcosis, on the other hand, happens while one is under compression.  The nitrogen dissolved in the blood alters the way electricity is conducted in the brain, leading to loopiness.  One source I read said that every fifty feet of depth is equivalent in its effects to one alcoholic drink, which led me to wonder a bit about those driven to dive.