Author Topic: Maps, Charts, and Shit  (Read 85980 times)

JustSheaNo

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Maps, Charts, and Shit
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
Not sure where this could go, so now its here. Enjoy.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2010, 03:31:36 PM »
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »
thought this was neat
it's big so I won't post directly

http://geeknaut.com/fredperrot.jpg

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »

Sarah

« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »
I like that very much, Bryan.  It was a nail-biter (and, apparently, sphincter-tightener), wasn't it?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
I watch hockey approximately once every four years, so I don't have much of a yardstick to measure it by. But, yeah, it was a good one.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »

I read an article in Harper's a few years back about - well - where poop goes when it's out of homes and businesses in NYC. It included fascinating data about water consumption and sewage treatment by time of day. From 8-9 am is called "The Big Flush" because NY sewage output rises from a rate of 70 million to 150 million gallons per day.

The power of coffee and cigarattes.

(For those of you who are Facebook friends with me, yes, I pasted this from one of my comments there).
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Sarah

« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2010, 02:17:59 PM »
I watch hockey approximately once every four years, so I don't have much of a yardstick to measure it by. But, yeah, it was a good one.

I never watch hockey, but even I could tell that game was interesting, even if one didn't care who won.  Not as gripping as curling, of course.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »

I never watch hockey, but even I could tell that game was interesting, even if one didn't care who won.  Not as gripping as curling, of course.

I like hockey in a casual way. Its pretty dang exciting, and those boys whip around on the ice like nobody's business. I've got a pal who is nutso for the Rangers and holds season tix ... he invites various buddies so I get to see a couple games a year. I don't give a shit who wins, really, and he's happy if you buy him a burger beforehand, and we trade off rounds of shitty light beer in plastic bottles. It's fun!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

JustSheaNo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #236 on: April 19, 2010, 09:12:12 PM »
Font finding flow-chart by Julia Hansen. File is too big for this window, so check it here.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2010, 06:47:30 AM »
Could've posted this in the tattoo thread, but since this is the maps, charts, and shit thread...

This was posted in another forum I frequent, I'm assuming for a laugh so maybe I'm making a bigger deal of it than it really is... but I got pretty annoyed with it.

I hate the idea that every tattoo needs to have a special, personal meaning and a backstory - you know, your kids' names, your dead grandfather, 9-11 ("Does the tattoo have special meaning to you?"). It's a ridiculous notion spurred on by awful tv shows like "Miami/LA Ink", and I don't care for it. Hey munch, how about you don't do a hideous portrait of your precious cat that died ten years ago, and go for something artful instead? Why does it have to be about you?

Also, that chart was made by moralist squares who need to deal with their own issues about women and gays before going off about other people's tats. "Appropriate to show to children"? "Do you want men to think you're easy"? "Do you prefer to 'catch'"? Proud moments.

I'm not crazy, am I? Or do I just have too much time on my hands?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2010, 09:49:22 AM »
I guess I am a moralist square. I don't care whether or not people have tattoos (I work closely with amazing people every day, some of whom are upholstered in tats,) but that chart made me laugh very hard.

For me, there's an analogy with a common quote about Republicans: Not every Republican is an idiot, but almost all idiots are Republicans. It's this; Not everyone with a tattoo on the small of their back is an easy girl from Knoxville, but virtually all easy girls from Knoxville have a tattoo on the small of their back.

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Could've posted this in the tattoo thread, but since this is the maps, charts, and shit thread...

This was posted in another forum I frequent, I'm assuming for a laugh so maybe I'm making a bigger deal of it than it really is... but I got pretty annoyed with it.

I hate the idea that every tattoo needs to have a special, personal meaning and a backstory - you know, your kids' names, your dead grandfather, 9-11 ("Does the tattoo have special meaning to you?"). It's a ridiculous notion spurred on by awful tv shows like "Miami/LA Ink", and I don't care for it. Hey munch, how about you don't do a hideous portrait of your precious cat that died ten years ago, and go for something artful instead? Why does it have to be about you?

Also, that chart was made by moralist squares who need to deal with their own issues about women and gays before going off about other people's tats. "Appropriate to show to children"? "Do you want men to think you're easy"? "Do you prefer to 'catch'"? Proud moments.

I'm not crazy, am I? Or do I just have too much time on my hands?

Moralist squares? You're the one deconstructing their joke flow chart, friend.