Author Topic: Basic things it took me forever to learn  (Read 6943 times)

chrisfoll577

Re: Basic things it took me forever to learn
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 09:35:50 PM »
that authority figures like parents and teachers are just as flawed and imperfect as anyone else and have a disproportionate ability to fuck things up.  (early to mid twenties)

to learn what good music is... it took me until well into my freshman year in college to go deeper than the staple beatles, kinks, dylan and neil young and the usual modern dreck.

that girls aren't all that interested in the quiet guy. (mid twenties)

Why "disproportionate"? Be gentle.

yeah... maybe i was a little unkind.  funny thing is that my father's a teacher, too.

i've also had amazing teachers that gave me a lot of guidance and encouragement. i guess what i meant was that i had a handful of terrible teachers to whom i gave much more credit than they deserved just because they were adults. now that im an adult i realize teachers are just as likely to go to work everyday and mail it in as anyone else.

henry

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 10:06:43 PM »
up until the day that i turned 25 i kept my passport, birth certificate and social security card in various haphazard locations.  never did i lose any one of those items.  the day i turned 25 i decided to try my hand at responsibility and put all of those items in a large envelope and stored it away for safe keeping.

four months later, when i have a opportunity to travel out of the country for work...the envelope is nowhere to be found. 

childhood: 1

adulthood: 0

Laurie

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 10:08:20 PM »
that girls aren't all that interested in the quiet guy. (mid twenties)

You're nuts. I had a mad crush on Robin John Gibb in junior high because he was the quiet kid. Ever since, I've continued to crush on quiet guys. I think most girls of all ages go for the shy, quiet guy.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 10:56:09 PM »

This revelation occurred just this year, when I realized that (gasp) my metabolism was slowing down.

I started putting weight in mid-twenties too.  A couple of years ago I quit drinking. Exercise never did squat.  Elimination of beer = 20 lbs loss. 

Monogamous relationships also cause weight gain:  fact.

Yeah, getting married packed the pounds onto me. Of course, I was really skinny when I got married (6'2" 165 lbs), so this wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I've been in a monogamous relationship for a few years now--that could totally have something to do with it. My boyfriend, who is 29, remains  however, as skinny as always. I swear, he has the highest metabolism in the history of mankind. He radiates heat in a way no other person does...it's crazy.

I can't give up beer at this point in my life,  because I enjoy it far too much.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 12:04:04 AM »
I'd rather run more than give up beer and I'd rather give up beer than drink light beer. Not that light beer is really much better.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

This revelation occurred just this year, when I realized that (gasp) my metabolism was slowing down.

I started putting weight in mid-twenties too.  A couple of years ago I quit drinking. Exercise never did squat.  Elimination of beer = 20 lbs loss. 

Monogamous relationships also cause weight gain:  fact.

Yeah, getting married packed the pounds onto me. Of course, I was really skinny when I got married (6'2" 165 lbs), so this wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I've been in a monogamous relationship for a few years now--that could totally have something to do with it. My boyfriend, who is 29, remains  however, as skinny as always. I swear, he has the highest metabolism in the history of mankind. He radiates heat in a way no other person does...it's crazy.

I can't give up beer at this point in my life,  because I enjoy it far too much.

Beth, that radiating heat thing will fade, and he'll struggle along with ye.  Metabolism slowdown strikes a lot of men in their early to mid 30s, in my experience.  Fortunately, it's often a slow decline rather than a huge one.  You have a little time to kick the midmorning snack of multiple Krispy Kremes.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »
I never learned to whistle and if one more person tells me I'm holding my chopsticks the wrong way, I'm going to scream.

I like to hold them the way I do! It took me a really long time to learn how to use them at all :)
from the land of pleasant living

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
Yeesh, my inspiration crack was based on the idea behind the Chuck Close quote, “Inspiration is for amateurs. I just get to work.” 

Yeah, well, his work is completely formulaic.  And I don't mean that as an insult.  He just does what he does.  Over and over. Still, I think there's a kick of inspiration, where you're obligated to write things down or draw or whatever, and then the real stuff comes later.  It's when you just work on that seed, but that seed is something nobody else really needs to see or hear about because the seed itself is probably not presentable to anyone but you.

Also, I hit 30 this year, and my man-breasts are really ripe.  I'm feeling yeasty and bloated after a night of drinking beers.  I'm actually thinking of drinking less without anyone even mentioning an intervention!

Anyway, a thing I learned:

Crisis and calamity are pretty much inevitable in life, so appreciate what you have today because it is impossible to hold onto things forever. Also, don't get too worried about avoiding crisis, because you can't. (late 20's) Sounds Cliche, but actually realizing it in full was intense.

Ed.--not basic and too nebulous and subjective

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
Also, I hit 30 this year, and my man-breasts are really ripe. 

Pic?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 08:02:17 PM »
Here I am relaxing over the weekend.

Gregory

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 08:48:46 PM »
How was the hoagie?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 01:01:27 AM »
A little dry.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 02:23:32 AM »
Something I learned towards the end of my college years:

It is acceptable to go to a concert or movie by yourself.  There were many times I didn't go to concerts because I couldn't convince anyone to go with me.  It reached a point where I decided there was no reason to deprive myself of a good show, just because no one would go with me.  Now I'm at the point where I almost prefer to go to concerts by myself (at least in small venues).

Miss

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 02:27:36 AM »
It reached a point where I decided there was no reason to deprive myself of a good show, just because no one would go with me.  Now I'm at the point where I almost prefer to go to concerts by myself (at least in small venues).

I notice that I like to be quiet and people watch while I'm at shows, and that's hard to do with any friends (let alone the dramatic ones I have.) The thought of going to one of my beloved local hip hop shows alone is a welcome thought!