Author Topic: Gene Simmons visits MSNBC, espouses..."ladies of the night"  (Read 4751 times)

kray

• Policemans heel
this is good.

Gene Simmons rocks ‘Morning Joe’
July 11: Rock star Gene Simmons stops by the “Morning Joe” to discuss his new book, “Ladies of the Night.”
 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25640888#25640888

"THAT IS INCORRECT"

Fido

• Space Champion!
Re: Gene Simmons visits MSNBC, espouses..."ladies of the night"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
Great find!! Hilarity. So now he's a scholar of prostitution. I wonder though, what's with the shades?

I was hoping he'd say something like, "I've taken a prodigious number of lovers.."

I'd love to walk by his book signing at Barnes & Noble, but there would be too much fuss involved.

TL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
"It'll become what in some areas it already is: CRACK WHORES."

Now write me a receipt so I can tip on outta here...

Son of Dorvid

KickTheBobo

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »
When did Gene start donning a black velvet hood?

It's a good look for him.

Pat K

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
"Definitely a more intellectual look at the oldest profession..."

Dig him talking like a sholar: "My research...", "The reasearch that I did..." Yeah, I'm sure he spent a lot of long hours in the library for this one. Oh, what's that? He just had a bunch of personal assistants and ghostwriters cobble together a bunch of shit and pad it out with lots of illustrations? Oh, nevermind.

I went to the amazon page - its only 176 pages! Whatsamatter, the guy who's had over 9 jillion women can't even fill up 200 pages of a sex book, including ilustrations?

Also on the amazon page: ""In good times and in bad times," Simmons writes, "ladies of the night will always do well."

I can think of a few million ladies from every inhabited continent that might disagree with that statement.
I'm warning you with peace and love.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:39:51 PM »
"It'll become what in some areas it already is: CRACK WHORES."

Someone get Gene a "Weekend Update" audition. 

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »
I know he's pompous and he looks ridiculous wih the hair and glasses, but I agree with his points.

I never could understand why it's ok to hire a guy to cut your lawn or some person to scrub your floors and clean your toilet but you can't legally hire someone to perform sexually. What is the logic behind those laws? Of COURSE it should be illegal to force someone into that or have people under 18 working in those areas. Between consenting adults though I don't see where the government has any right to regulate what someone chooses to do with their body.

jamesp

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »
I know he's pompous and he looks ridiculous wih the hair and glasses, but I agree with his points.

I never could understand why it's ok to hire a guy to cut your lawn or some person to scrub your floors and clean your toilet but you can't legally hire someone to perform sexually. What is the logic behind those laws? Of COURSE it should be illegal to force someone into that or have people under 18 working in those areas. Between consenting adults though I don't see where the government has any right to regulate what someone chooses to do with their body.

Because our bodies don't have a sexual response to mowing a lawn. They are not at all alike, period. You also don't get threatened by the people who hire you to do landscaping (even if you perform your act) and possibly get stiffed on money, only to be beaten by your "boss" later on. Also, you'll see an enormous amount of sex-workers who don't want to be in the trade anymore but continue for their own personal safety or the safety of their families. Pimps don't take it too lightly when their workers leave them to go straight and often continue to threaten and harm former workers.

While we may think legalized prostitution is all great from what we see on horrible programs like Cathouse on HBO, it's far from the truth. I can't imagine the prostitutes from the Bunnyland Ranch getting to discuss the negative points of being a prostitute on a national television series without their pimp having a few problems with it.

Prostitution could work if the johns weren't pathetic scumbugs who threatened and harmed sex-workers and if sex-workers were robots without emotional attachments or fear about their safety, but until robot prostitutes come along, it's not safe.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 02:58:03 AM »

Prostitution could work if the johns weren't pathetic scumbugs who threatened and harmed sex-workers and if sex-workers were robots without emotional attachments or fear about their safety, but until robot prostitutes come along, it's not safe.

They should be more like Julie Christie in McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:38:42 AM »

Because our bodies don't have a sexual response to mowing a lawn. They are not at all alike, period. You also don't get threatened by the people who hire you to do landscaping (even if you perform your act) and possibly get stiffed on money, only to be beaten by your "boss" later on.

Clearly you haven't met the bosses of the lawn guys around here, who are often referred to as the "Gentlemen of the Day".

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »

Because our bodies don't have a sexual response to mowing a lawn. They are not at all alike, period. You also don't get threatened by the people who hire you to do landscaping (even if you perform your act) and possibly get stiffed on money, only to be beaten by your "boss" later on. Also, you'll see an enormous amount of sex-workers who don't want to be in the trade anymore but continue for their own personal safety or the safety of their families. Pimps don't take it too lightly when their workers leave them to go straight and often continue to threaten and harm former workers.

While we may think legalized prostitution is all great from what we see on horrible programs like Cathouse on HBO, it's far from the truth. I can't imagine the prostitutes from the Bunnyland Ranch getting to discuss the negative points of being a prostitute on a national television series without their pimp having a few problems with it.

I wish I had the skills to express my arguments more clearly. But don't you see the failure in your logic there? There are pimps because the trade is made illegal, that is why there is such a thing as a pimp or a madam. Things will organize themselves  organically or not the only choice is whether you want to make the system regulated or not. It seems to me if anyone cares about sex workers they would want regulation.

Maybe that's not clear let's see if we can agree on one singular point:

Does prohibition stop the trade of sex for money?

I guess the argument that could flow from that is murder etc. isn't stopped by prohibition but of course no one would argue we stop trying to stop that.

So the 2nd thing I would ask is: do you think there is something intrinsically demeaning in sex for women?

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »

if sex-workers were robots without emotional attachments or fear about their safety

This point in particular seems offensive, do you understand the implications of that?

mokin

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »
Trembling Eagle making cogent points and using capitalization and punctuation? Wait, whuuuuuuuuut?

Seriously, though, prostitution is never going to be a glamorous profession, but it's not always a terrible thing where women are exploited by pimps. It's legal in Austria and Amsterdam, and they have unions and mandatory testing and it works for them.

There are still cases of human trafficking and underage prostitution, but making prostitution entirely illegal is not going to stop that.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »

There are still cases of human trafficking and underage prostitution, but making prostitution entirely illegal is not going to stop that.

Not only not stop it, it makes those things worse one by taking up law enforcement resources on sex trade between consenting adults.