Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2899986 times)

JeffertonFromTX

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #11415 on: June 05, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
This week's show was a real barnburner. Highlights include the brass crotch marbles of Brad getting their just punishment, every bit of the YLT interview (I had never really heard them in an interview capacity but they are really, really charming), Tom throwing us listeners under the bus when Charley Morgan called in, "Thank you for getting in my car, Patti. Fun thing about me, I've seen every movie!", Superfan Billy and his glorious exclamations, and the first female (?) Bad Companying being narrowly avoided.

This was an episode that started strong and never dipped in quality once (aside from my call, apparently).
Wailin' the eff outta that vibraslap!

Jason from Huntsville, AL

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #11416 on: June 05, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
Here's the "angry talking record" Tom mentioned early in the Yo La Tengo segment.

The Americans: A Canadian's Opinion By Gordon Sinclair: https://youtu.be/oJ_okAgAUGE
"A Man Can Make a Dog Break Its Gaze." - Tom

Crusherkc

« Reply #11417 on: June 10, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
Kevin Corrigan is amazing on last night's show.  I love an actor who is also as big a fan as we are.  You'd think you had heard Walken and Brando impressions up the yazoo but his take on First Blood was inspired and out-of-nowhere.  I'm inspired to re-watch a movie that amused me but not impressed me: "Wolf of Wall Street" with new Corriganated eyes, as well as "Gangs of New York" with director's commentary.  I'm glad I happened to re-watch "Goodfellas" a couple of months ago ("It's over there!  Go straight ahead!  Ovah theeeere! Go 'head!") and "Mean Streets" this past weekend ("That's the Tuesday which has just passed before the next Tuesday which is coming up").  Glad to hear him relaxed and game for whatever.

Worst: the "We" guy about the Knicks.  He came off as a peeper.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11418 on: June 10, 2015, 04:14:18 PM »
Last night's episode is one of my favourites since the show came back. It was a laid back conversation but it went in so many fun places. There are so many different structures the show can take and so many speeds, but episodes like these where it is just a conversation where Tom and the guest reach unpredicted areas with almost no callers (and that could just be a podcast, but it's special when you are hearing it live) are great.

Mike Desert

« Reply #11419 on: June 10, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
Great show. I also hated Mad Max, not too many people seem to agree with me. Always love listening to Kevin Corrigan. The Adam Ant talk was a little triggering though.
Another San Fransisco Toilet Person

justinmh05

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11420 on: June 10, 2015, 06:54:59 PM »
Corrigan doing Brando and Walken in First Blood was an all-time great Best Show moment.

BadGuyZero

• Administrator
« Reply #11421 on: June 10, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »
Great show. I also hated Mad Max, not too many people seem to agree with me. Always love listening to Kevin Corrigan. The Adam Ant talk was a little triggering though.

I won't go so far as to say I hated Mad Max: Fury Road. I found it very "meh." I went in with very low expectations and it still managed to underwhelm me. My issue is with the lack of story. Characters keep popping up and I have no idea who they are. Characters that were foes become allies at the drop of a hat for unknown reasons. There's a series of DC Comics coming out that are supposed to act as a prequel to the movie [and apparently tell the backstories of some of the characters]. Someone told me that if I'd read the promotional articles that appeared in various magazines and website in the weeks prior to the film's release I would have known who the characters are. I hope this "you gotta read the promotional articles" doesn't become a trend.

mostlymeat

« Reply #11422 on: June 11, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

I won't go so far as to say I hated Mad Max: Fury Road. I found it very "meh."

Hey me too! Maybe Best Show fans just can't hack it. I got pretty bored with the relentless onslaught of physics-defying "action" and though the Bain-esque villain was pretty uninspiring next to the Toe Cutter and Lord Humongus. 

"That's a strange position to take" said my wife, "coming from the guy who loves Crank 1 & 2".

JesseFromVegas

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11423 on: June 11, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
Yeah, please don't speak for all FOTs, mostlymeat, I loved it and have seen it twice.  The lack of story was not even remotely a problem for me.

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #11424 on: June 11, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
I can see where Tom is coming from with Mad Max. I loved it, but it's this movie that's complicated and simple at the same time so it can get boring. I think Cirque du Soleil with cars is pretty dead on, but it's also this movie that's so big and fast you're just going to miss things and if you're not with it , you aren't going to care about it . I have to see it a second time just to get a handle on it.

Entourage on the other hand is really dumb, but I don't think I've been that relaxed with a movie in a long time. And it's dumb but it's also the most confident dumb thing and it's aiming so low. It knows what it is completely.

fidget

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11425 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »

I won't go so far as to say I hated Mad Max: Fury Road. I found it very "meh." I went in with very low expectations and it still managed to underwhelm me. My issue is with the lack of story. Characters keep popping up and I have no idea who they are. Characters that were foes become allies at the drop of a hat for unknown reasons.

I felt the exact opposite about the confusion. I loved the fact that they dropped you into this world without any explanations and expected you to run for fear of being trampled.  Also the details were great; even the small ones. Like the Brannock Device as the gas pedal and the cult of Steering Wheels they had going on.  It made my imagination run a little bit to figure out why all this was happening without the characters explaining everything. Felt a little like archeology. Plus some of the cars made me laugh out loud.

Was this story between Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome?  I don't think Max had his interceptor in Thunderdome.

crapawolf

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #11426 on: June 12, 2015, 05:59:08 AM »
Corrigan doing Brando and Walken in First Blood was an all-time great Best Show moment.

definitely...amazing!

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11427 on: June 12, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
Although trumped by Gary doing Edith Bunker doing Goodfellas.

Kurz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11428 on: June 12, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »

I won't go so far as to say I hated Mad Max: Fury Road. I found it very "meh." I went in with very low expectations and it still managed to underwhelm me. My issue is with the lack of story. Characters keep popping up and I have no idea who they are. Characters that were foes become allies at the drop of a hat for unknown reasons.

I felt the exact opposite about the confusion. I loved the fact that they dropped you into this world without any explanations and expected you to run for fear of being trampled.  Also the details were great; even the small ones. Like the Brannock Device as the gas pedal and the cult of Steering Wheels they had going on.  It made my imagination run a little bit to figure out why all this was happening without the characters explaining everything. Felt a little like archeology. Plus some of the cars made me laugh out loud.

Was this story between Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome?  I don't think Max had his interceptor in Thunderdome.
I think it's more of a reboot/update than actually fitting in with the established story/universe of the first three. Of course, there are references in the flashbacks to his wife and daughter dying, events from the first Mad Max. I agree a hundred percent with you on the rest though. And I think a lot of backstory and character development is told through those details, without explicit explanation and with visual storytelling.

Epic Soundtracks

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #11429 on: June 12, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
Why is Fogelnest so much quieter than Gary? It's kind of maddening!