Author Topic: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show  (Read 2824091 times)

JackB

• Plantar Fasciitis
Re: The Best/Worst Moments of last night's show
« Reply #12165 on: November 16, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »
The 2006 plot about things going horribly wrong and the need to save the world via a wormhole was so connected to the election result that I wonder whether there was an alternate plan in case of a Clinton victory. I hope Tom will do an interview or some kind of commentary about it eventually. Anyway, it was great, and I thought the opening to last night's show was even better in a way. It's the right call to generally stay away from politics, but his segueway from telling the car accident story to discussing the future and the importance of people taking care of each other was pretty amazing. I'm so glad he's okay, and I'll slow down around exit 13 of the Turnpike at night!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12166 on: November 17, 2016, 12:31:39 PM »
 Omar's write-up?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis

rpm1200

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12168 on: November 17, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
Was this The Littlest Hobo episode the one they referenced? The dog isn't playing a video but he is erasing one.
https://youtu.be/wiRxtOv5yW0?t=19m9s

Flat1ander

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12169 on: November 17, 2016, 04:33:43 PM »
I was actually fooled until listening to this weeks show. As a bit of an excuse I did not hear the last 45 mins of the "lost" episode. I remember thinking immediately how Tom's voice sounded the same which gave me pause and obviously the Trump talk by JW as well but just didn't put it together...

Well done Tom! What a genius, well executed idea!

fonpr

• Space Champion!
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

stubing

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12171 on: November 17, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »
The 2006 plot about things going horribly wrong and the need to save the world via a wormhole was so connected to the election result that I wonder whether there was an alternate plan in case of a Clinton victory. I hope Tom will do an interview or some kind of commentary about it eventually. Anyway, it was great, and I thought the opening to last night's show was even better in a way. It's the right call to generally stay away from politics, but his segueway from telling the car accident story to discussing the future and the importance of people taking care of each other was pretty amazing. I'm so glad he's okay, and I'll slow down around exit 13 of the Turnpike at night!

I'm also curious about that. What was the plan? I fell for it until I re-listened to the podcast with my wife and she convinced me it was a new episode. I think I was at a disadvantage because I listened to the 2006 episodes last year and this one just sounded so much like those. MC Steinberg. The long walk. So many details. When I listened live I was too distracted to pay close attention. I think the restraint of the whole thing, until the last couple minutes, may be what's so amazing. Complete genius.

federationofideas

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12172 on: November 18, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
Top 20 Canadians = me shouting at the radio for 15 minutes:

NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER! NATHAN FIELDER!

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12173 on: November 18, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
"I don't think the Pet Shop Boys know Mike Watt"

John Junk

• Policemans heel
« Reply #12174 on: November 18, 2016, 03:02:41 PM »

Terre T and Tom talking about how Rye Coalition were poised to be superstars with their Dave Grohl produced major label debut (oof!).

Yes. Amazing. I truly liked that band until that album. It's terrible.

Yeah, they were awesome. I think/assume they must have been friends of the show or at least pals with Terre T.
The stuff I've heard from that era --it's almost shocking how subpar it is. There's an entire documentary someone made about the train wreck of their major label debut. Apparently the album was for Dreamworks, which stopped existing right after they finished making it, or something. Haven't seen the movie.
Sword of Almonds, Show Me The Things...

Carver

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #12175 on: November 18, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »
This is the only thing I ever heard of Rye Coalition. Remember it being pretty good.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #12176 on: November 20, 2016, 10:27:33 PM »
Here were a couple items I had planned for the 2006 show, but time didn't permit:

1. Before the show I asked Tom what he knew about German cinema, Werner Herzog in particular. I was about to embark on my own Werner Herzog retrospective via Netflix.

2. Before the show I had also invited Tom to visit my uncle's bar in Bayonne, Massa's. "I think you would like it. It's full of light-hearted storytellers. I think you would find it diverting." Maybe Tom could mention a personal dream I had of coming up with the perfect t-shirt for the bar.

3. Tom could also mention that before the show he had heard me talking to someone named Dennis outside the studio and that I was scolding Dennis, telling him he couldn't "come out to play," and then when Tom came out of the studio there was no one there. Was I talking to myself? Did I have a multi-personality disorder? Was I the male Sybil?! Very strange!

4. Also before the show, Tom could mention that I had given up drinking and that I was already seeing vast improvements in my life.
See God, Kai

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12177 on: November 21, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
All of those would have been funny... but number 4 would have been exceptional.

Shame John from Cincinatti was 2007 and not 2006.  That could have also been a fun touchstone.

bigginsjp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12178 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
4. Also before the show, Tom could mention that I had given up drinking and that I was already seeing vast improvements in my life.

Still laughing at this one in particular. Love it.

FredN.

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12179 on: November 22, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
Here were a couple items I had planned for the 2006 show, but time didn't permit:

1. Before the show I asked Tom what he knew about German cinema, Werner Herzog in particular. I was about to embark on my own Werner Herzog retrospective via Netflix.

2. Before the show I had also invited Tom to visit my uncle's bar in Bayonne, Massa's. "I think you would like it. It's full of light-hearted storytellers. I think you would find it diverting." Maybe Tom could mention a personal dream I had of coming up with the perfect t-shirt for the bar.

3. Tom could also mention that before the show he had heard me talking to someone named Dennis outside the studio and that I was scolding Dennis, telling him he couldn't "come out to play," and then when Tom came out of the studio there was no one there. Was I talking to myself? Did I have a multi-personality disorder? Was I the male Sybil?! Very strange!

#4 would have been transcendentally hilarious.