Author Topic: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)  (Read 928219 times)

TheeChrisDee

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Stuff you hate (aka: the new f. you thread)
« Reply #2280 on: February 19, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »
I hate people who live on golf courses complaining about their house getting hit with golf balls.

this was a story on the news the other night.
Can I use the "F-word", Tom?

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2281 on: February 20, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
I hate recipes that call for bay leaves.  Bay leaves are a scam.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Sarah

« Reply #2282 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
You are so wrong, ben.  Bay leaves are wonderful.  Try crushing one between your fingers and sniffing.  Lovely.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2283 on: February 20, 2011, 10:37:27 AM »
I also think you are wrong. If you can find fresh bay leaves, you'll see what they can do for you. In general, if you think that a spice or herb doesn't have much flavor, it probably means that the stuff you are using is too old.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2284 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »
Is it true that if you eat the stems of bay leaves they will cut up your insides?  I was told this as a kid.

Sarah

« Reply #2285 on: February 20, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
Why don't you try it and see?

Alex_from_the_woods

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2286 on: February 20, 2011, 04:41:53 PM »
It's nothing against Israel in particular; I just always hear conservatives refer to it in that way and at this point I think it's the only country really referred to as such in English.

Maybe the real problem lies in always putting yourself in a position to hear conservatives. I myself, have never, ever, heard anyone refer to Israel as "she" until reading this thread.
Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Exsanguination?

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #2287 on: February 20, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
What I call the "Laugh and Look." (When the person next to you turns to you to make sure you're laughing.)

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2288 on: February 20, 2011, 06:13:35 PM »

I fear bodily harm.

Pidgeon

« Reply #2289 on: February 20, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »
It's nothing against Israel in particular; I just always hear conservatives refer to it in that way and at this point I think it's the only country really referred to as such in English.

Maybe the real problem lies in always putting yourself in a position to hear conservatives. I myself, have never, ever, heard anyone refer to Israel as "she" until reading this thread.

And maybe I should stop leaving my TV on when I go to bed so I wont have to wake up to Biblical prophecy talk shows.

Sarah

« Reply #2290 on: February 20, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »

I fear bodily harm.

Coward.  (Or are we done with our faux fight now?)

I did a little Googling and was surprised by the number of people who are afraid of bay leaves.  My mother instilled no such fear in my sisters and me; in fact, in my family, getting the bay leaf (in, say, a serving of spaghetti) was considered good luck.  Of course, we never ate the damn things; no sensible person would want to.  But I bet the number of bay-leaf-related fatalities is pretty small.

ben

« Reply #2291 on: February 20, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
I also think you are wrong. If you can find fresh bay leaves, you'll see what they can do for you. In general, if you think that a spice or herb doesn't have much flavor, it probably means that the stuff you are using is too old.

I will give them another shot.  I've never seen fresh bay leaves but will look for them at the Piggly Wiggly.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

cutout

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2292 on: February 20, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
What I call the "Laugh and Look." (When the person next to you turns to you to make sure you're laughing.)

Oh man. I have a family member who's dating a really nice guy and in the process of getting to know our family, he sort of goes out of his way to make jokes somewhat compulsively. They are pretty corny jokes and always followed by direct glances to everyone to make sure they laugh. Everyone is good about laughing, but it is uncomfortable. We all sympathize b/c we assume he's just nervous.

I had a friend in my college dorm who would always pick up an acoustic guitar and stare you in the eye while he was playing it so you knew how talented he was. I sympathize less with him.

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #2293 on: February 21, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »
I did a little Googling and was surprised by the number of people who are afraid of bay leaves.  My mother instilled no such fear in my sisters and me; in fact, in my family, getting the bay leaf (in, say, a serving of spaghetti) was considered good luck.  Of course, we never ate the damn things; no sensible person would want to.  But I bet the number of bay-leaf-related fatalities is pretty small.

It is good luck THAT YOU SURVIVED!!!

James W

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2294 on: February 21, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »

Oh man. I have a family member who's dating a really nice guy and in the process of getting to know our family, he sort of goes out of his way to make jokes somewhat compulsively. They are pretty corny jokes and always followed by direct glances to everyone to make sure they laugh. Everyone is good about laughing, but it is uncomfortable. We all sympathize b/c we assume he's just nervous.

I had a friend in my college dorm who would always pick up an acoustic guitar and stare you in the eye while he was playing it so you knew how talented he was. I sympathize less with him.
My brother combines "the look" with immediate, barked laughter of his own, just so everyone knows what time it is. Laughin' time.