Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 857031 times)

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1260 on: September 07, 2011, 04:08:59 PM »
Mitt's Battleship Earth fandom actually came up during the 2008 primaries. Maybe it's just his way of reminding people that there are other churches just as nutty as the Mormons.

As for Huntsman, I seem to have heard somewhere that in college he belonged to a prog band named "Wizard." Isn't that the proggiest name ever for a proggy prog band?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #1261 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1262 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Rick Perry Struggles to answer Question on Abstinence

What a dummy.

That was the most non sequitor-filled answer I've heard in quite a while. He has the gift of appearing to be self-possessed while mentally scrambling around in the dark.

Stan

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1263 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:54 PM »
                                 "This must be where buffcoat left his pants."

Kormod

« Reply #1264 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »
Read this, it's really depressing:
http://www.truth-out.org/goodbye-all-reflections-gop-operative-who-left-cult/1314907779

The one consolation I have is that the country is really starting to sour on the Tea Party, and "the Tea Party" is almost starting to become a toxic label. The latest polls show that despite Obama's low approval ratings, the Tea Party is much more unpopular than he is, and have had about a 15 point drop in popularity since February. We can only hope that the popularity of these turkeys continues to flag.

After watching parts of the Republican debate tonight, I think Perry is in a considerable amount of trouble. He didn't back away from his comments about Social Security AT ALL, and said that it was a Ponzi scheme several times. The crowd didn't seem to like this, and, to give you a sense of how conservative they were, they cheered voraciously when Brian William stated that 234 people were executed during Perry's term as governor. If Perry backpedaled hard on what he wrote in Fed Up!, I think his views on Social Security would have only been a medium-sized problem for him, but after tonight's statements, he should probably kiss his 10 point lead over Romney goodbye.

But who knows? Maybe people will buy into this jive bullshit about Social Security being a Ponzi scheme. I don't think so though.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1265 on: September 08, 2011, 08:03:56 AM »
Just in case anyone is on the fence about this issue, or has friends or relatives who are:

"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Kormod

« Reply #1266 on: September 08, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
Just in case anyone is on the fence about this issue, or has friends or relatives who are:

I still can't believe he's sticking with this. He could have backpedaled on only this claim and simply toned down the other crazy ones, and still have had a good chance at winning the election. My guess is that he's being pushed hard to do this by the billionaire jerks backing his campaign, who want this social insurance stuff done away with NOW NOW NOW.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1267 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:51 PM »

My guess is that he's being pushed hard to do this by the billionaire jerks backing his campaign, who want this social insurance stuff done away with NOW NOW NOW.

Koch anyone?
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1268 on: September 08, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
From a tweet I read:

All I know is Ponzi would have been pissed if the feds kept robbing his scheme to pay for tax cuts for the koch brothers

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1269 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Rick Perry Struggles to answer Question on Abstinence

What a dummy.

It works because it works.

He really reminds me of 43 in this answer.  Good Lord, can I go through 4 or 8 more years of that?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Kormod

« Reply #1270 on: September 10, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »
Perry, in schoolyard bully mode, picking on a helpless old man:

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1271 on: September 11, 2011, 12:15:46 AM »
What is it about Ron Paul that gets internet twenty year olds so excited? I mean he holds some truly horrible ideas in that old noggin of his.

Sarah

« Reply #1272 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
I think it's 'cause he's a rebel, man.

Kormod

« Reply #1273 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
What is it about Ron Paul that gets internet twenty year olds so excited? I mean he holds some truly horrible ideas in that old noggin of his.

I have no idea. It seems that they love him for wanting to end the war on drugs and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but there are other "fringe" presidential candidates, like Ralph Nader, who share these views and don't at the same time want to overturn Roe v. Wade, do nothing about global warming (because "it's a hoax"), get rid of most, if not all, government regulations, and abolish Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Despite the amusement he's currently providing by being Perry's gadfly, I hope we stop hearing about this weird old man once he retires from Congress in 2012.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1274 on: September 11, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
Libertarians are Republicans who want to smoke dope and get laid.  I'm in favor of drug legalization, but if I were one of these dweebs for whom that trumps every other issue, I guess he'd be my guy too.