Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 872688 times)

Kormod

Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #1275 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
As far as libertarians wanting to get laid goes, emphasis on "wanting to." If talking endlessly about an old man who looks like an 1880s gold prospector ever becomes an aphrodisiac, we're in serious trouble.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1276 on: September 11, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
Hearing Paul talk about why everything but abortion is not the government's purview is the same as hearing Scalia talk about how the states' rights are all-encompassing except when it comes to marijuana.

I DESPISE unconscious hypocrisy.  Own that sucker.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

roubaix

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #1277 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
I think there's noob appeal in his (overly) simple solutions.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1278 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
Rick Perry Struggles to answer Question on Abstinence

What a dummy.

That was the most non sequitor-filled answer I've heard in quite a while. He has the gift of appearing to be self-possessed while mentally scrambling around in the dark.

He sounds so much like George W that it's nightmarish. Take the visuals away and it really sounds like W. I feel like I'm experiencing PTSD just listening to that voice.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1279 on: September 12, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
In regards to Ron Paul and his 20-30 something internet fanbase: That age group has lived basically their entire life watching two parties fight and run the country into the ground. They probably voted for Obama or at the very least were intrigued by his anti-Wall Street stance. They've graduated from college in the past decade and have no other option but to work a corporate dead end job to try to live a shadow of  whatever the American dream is these days. So, while I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul, you're blind to state of American youth if you don't understand why they rally around him.

What I can't believe is that more older conservatives don't love him. My dad likes him a lot and he's a 60 year old moderate who's voted Democrat the past 20 years because he's rational enough to know how terrible neo-conservatism is. You don't have to like Ron Paul's ideas and you don't have to vote for him, but we could do a lot worse and have done a lot worse than Ron Paul as the Republican nominee. At least his campaign is based on ideas, right?

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #1280 on: September 12, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »
First of all, I am one of America's youth so I think I have an idea what the state of them is.

Second, yeah, his campaign is based on ideas. However, those ideas are more extreme and foolish and not based in reality than most of the other Republicans.

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1281 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:31 AM »
The thing about Paul is that he's what a lot of conservatives actually want. They vote for the electable guy because moderates would never vote for a non-mainstream candidate but Paul is what a good chunk of conservatives have been begging for. A guy who will screw everyone over in the name of the economy. But, if Paul was elected, it might be the last time a Republican gets elected for a long time because conservatism is all well and good until it hits your own home, and Paul's ideas would hit a lot of Republican homes that never have seen the ugly side of the conservatism and have turned a blind eye to it.

Kormod

« Reply #1282 on: September 13, 2011, 01:50:54 AM »
I dislike Paul, but I can't help but root for him when he gets into a foreign policy dispute with a jingoist like Rick Santorum:

Ron Paul Booed at CNN - Tea Party Debate

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1283 on: September 13, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
I remember that moment from the debate, and when it happened, all of a sudden I warmed up to Ron Paul quite a bit. He was the only one willing to talk about foreign policy in a way that connected with reality.

Sarah

« Reply #1284 on: September 13, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »
I can't believe people booed what they booed.  Well, I can, of course.

It was nice to hear someone say something off script for a change.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1285 on: September 13, 2011, 11:58:18 AM »
In regards to Ron Paul and his 20-30 something internet fanbase: That age group has lived basically their entire life watching two parties fight and run the country into the ground. They probably voted for Obama or at the very least were intrigued by his anti-Wall Street stance. They've graduated from college in the past decade and have no other option but to work a corporate dead end job to try to live a shadow of  whatever the American dream is these days. So, while I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul, you're blind to state of American youth if you don't understand why they rally around him.

What I can't believe is that more older conservatives don't love him. My dad likes him a lot and he's a 60 year old moderate who's voted Democrat the past 20 years because he's rational enough to know how terrible neo-conservatism is. You don't have to like Ron Paul's ideas and you don't have to vote for him, but we could do a lot worse and have done a lot worse than Ron Paul as the Republican nominee. At least his campaign is based on ideas, right?

Two reasons:
1. He's perceived to be weak in the area of national defense, which is a huge black eye against him in the minds of many conservatives. The isolationist foreign policy that Paul espouses may have won him favor in the Republican Party of 70 years ago. But in the hawkish GOP of today, it's rendered him a pariah.

2. Rightly or wrongly, he's perceived to be on the wrong side of certain social and cultural issues (i.e. marijuana decriminalization, prostitution, etc.) While social issues aren't going to dominate this coming election cycle (as they did in 2000 and 2004), the social conservatives still wield a great deal of influence in the Republican Party. And his stances on those issues aren't going to win him many supporters within the socially conservative wing of the GOP.

Those two things seem to be the principal points of contention when it comes to Ron Paul. At least that's what I've gathered from reading various conservative blogs over the last few years.

Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

orator

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #1286 on: September 13, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
You don't have to like Ron Paul's ideas and you don't have to vote for him, but we could do a lot worse and have done a lot worse than Ron Paul as the Republican nominee. At least his campaign is based on ideas, right?

It's kind of a wash when for every good idea he has, he has two absolutely horrible ones. While I appreciate his honestly and passion, he might be even more dangerous to the country than your generic Republican. Then again, he wouldn't be able to do much legislatively, so maybe not. And some of the things a president has power over, like wars and the DOJ being able to stop the drug war, I'm in favor of.
"Come partake of my fruit baskets."

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #1287 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »

I graduated high school in 2007, during the heat of the Ron Paul ReLOVEution. A few of my friends jumped onto his campaign, but not necessarily for the reasons you mentioned. They like pot a lot and he was the only candidate was for legalization. They then picked up the rest of the baggage that goes with right wing libertarianism. The friends I have that are actually interested in politics moved farther to the left, especially as the 2 major parties moved farther to the right over the last 5 years or so.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1288 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
New Palin biography makes me hope that Todd calls the Best Show again soon:
The book, scheduled for release in the US next week, quotes a Palin family friend as alleging that Palin's husband, Todd, also used cocaine and that he was "on the end of the straw plenty".

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #1289 on: September 16, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
Unlike probably all of you, I've gone back and forth on capital punishment over the years, but this simply takes the cake:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/16/duane-buck-execution-stayed-supreme-court

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/15/texas-executions-controversial-cases?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

This MF wants to be president of the United States?  And might well be in January 2013.  This is a guy who has to be overruled by a Supreme Court that hates with a passion to overrule death penalty cases.  His bloodthirstiness seems to know absolutely no bounds.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!