Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853732 times)

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #150 on: September 02, 2008, 03:03:09 AM »
How many people are you talking to that actually believes that creationism should be taught in the classroom? I don't know many Christian's who believe that....

Are you kiddin' me? There are tons and tons and tons of people who believe that.

What's to teach??  It's like one chapter in the Old Testament and then all further inquiry is shrugged with some aloof form of "wisdom".

"Because that's just the way it is." 

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #151 on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:06 AM »
I think the people who are fighting for creationism to be taught in public schools have their kids in private schools or are living in small towns where everyone agrees with them and are teaching it anyway. On a national level, they're fighting a losing battle because everybody else thinks they're insane. Sure, there are a lot of people who think the Bible belongs in the school, but they don't outnumber rational thinkers and I don't think we'll ever see the day where it's standard in the public school system.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #152 on: September 02, 2008, 03:47:35 AM »

What's to teach??  It's like one chapter in the Old Testament and then all further inquiry is shrugged with some aloof form of "wisdom".

"Because that's just the way it is." 

Yeah, but they go a lot further than that. They've spent the last few decades inventing a bullshit "science" out of whole cloth. And they're pretty savvy about marketing it. There's a market out there ... all the people buying those "Left Behind" books,  for example. They've got a pretty sweet Creation Museum in the Cincinnati/Kentucky area. Looks like a nice day out for the family.

My stepdad recently retired from the engineering department at Virginia Tech, which is pretty well-respected for engineering. He had a couple of colleagues he complained about because they were advocates of the whole creationist thing. Granted, engineering isn't the same thing as the biological sciences ... but still, these guys are supposed to have some respect for the basic tenets of scientific inquiry, right? Right?? ?
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Gilly

• Space Champion!
« Reply #153 on: September 02, 2008, 04:03:41 AM »
The Left Behind books/Christian marketing and teaching creation in the classroom are two entirely different things. Christians can read and buy whatever they want, it just shouldn't be taught as fact. I have no problem with the book of Genesis or the Left Behind books being read in a literature class. Not that Lahaye/Jenkins would ever be taught in American Lit 101.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2008, 05:26:04 AM »
The Left Behind books/Christian marketing and teaching creation in the classroom are two entirely different things. Christians can read and buy whatever they want, it just shouldn't be taught as fact. I have no problem with the book of Genesis or the Left Behind books being read in a literature class. Not that Lahaye/Jenkins would ever be taught in American Lit 101.

I'm just saying that if the people who want creationism in the schools want to recruit soldiers to their cause ... they'll find them and put them to work.  And they can do it very effectively. The "Left Behind" demographic is just one of many places they can go. These folks are NOT stupid when it comes to outreach. As Fido and Trembling Eagle pointed out, they've already made a lot of progress in pushing this agenda.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
They've got a pretty sweet Creation Museum in the Cincinnati/Kentucky area. Looks like a nice day out for the family.
My girlfriend's family actually moved a few minutes away from the Creation Museum, so it's only a matter of time before I go there out of curiosity.  Last time I was in the area, if I had gone, I could have been their 500,000 visitor.  It looks like they have some pretty sweet animatronic dinos and I'm curious about the Noah's Ark musical. The saddest part is, it's probably 100x better than the Cincinnati Natural History Museum, which might be the saddest museum I've ever seen.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
As an additional resource, please see the film "A Flock of Dodos".

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
They've got a pretty sweet Creation Museum in the Cincinnati/Kentucky area. Looks like a nice day out for the family.

I'd go just for the gift shop, which is available online for anyone who wants to have a peek. Scary scary.
from the land of pleasant living

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »
I read that McCain allegedly already knew the daughter was pregnant.  Don't know if I believe that though.  But if I did, there's a conspiracy theorist in me that thinks it's all part of some grand design, a weird baiting of Democrats and the left wing to jump on her and then to yell "For Shame" from the right wing when they do.  That seemed to be the tone of the article I read on CNN this morning.

I can't believe McCain's people knew about this. If you're going to pick someone that no one's heard of before, with little appropriate experience, specifically to appeal to the family values crowd, you'll want to pick someone who can play the role PERFECTLY. It just makes them look better to say they knew. I think it's just hilariously bad timing.

<<<<<

« Reply #159 on: September 02, 2008, 11:47:39 AM »
They've spent the last few decades inventing a bullshit "science" out of whole cloth.

Or gold out of lead.  Whole thing sounds like institutionalized alchemy to me.  Maybe they'll teach the kids how to find the Elixir of Life too.

Jonathan Steven

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #160 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:14 PM »
They've spent the last few decades inventing a bullshit "science" out of whole cloth.
Maybe they'll teach the kids how to find the Elixir of Life too.

I think it may be at the top of 'nem escuhlator.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #161 on: September 02, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »

Dude, I've already found it!

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
I enjoyed Jerry Jenkins' work on "Gil Thorp."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

<<<<<

« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
That stuff is soooo much better than Leadschläger!

Julie

« Reply #164 on: September 02, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »

Dude, I've already found it!

Who don't know that?
I have a long history of booing