Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853688 times)

chrisfoll577

Re: Why The Dems Might Lose
« Reply #285 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:46 AM »
I think Obama has to worry about turnout among young people and African Americans more than The Bradley effect... I'm admittedly a geek and ran down to my city hall to register and fill out an absentee ballot on my eighteenth birthday, but turnout among normal people under thirty is pretty low.  Obama's got something like a 30 point lead among people my age.  Sometimes I wonder how much effort it takes that many people to get up and overcome inertia and vote for the very first time.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #286 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
I don't know about what the Obama campaign is factoring in, but I'm hearing pundits still mentioning the Bradley Effect an awful lot, if not by that name. I would think that the longer the campaign goes on, and it's gone on a long time, the less of a factor it will be in polling, as people disinclined to pull the lever for Obama would have plenty of reasons they could vote for McCain anyway, as lame as those reasons might be. I dunno.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #287 on: September 19, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
It's when people tell pollsters they're voting for a black candidate (to avoid appearing racist) but in fact do not.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #289 on: September 19, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
20% of people between the age 18-34 will probably be too busy playing World of Warcraft while the polls are open.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #290 on: September 19, 2008, 08:46:33 PM »
Tom will cause a massive delay in his precinct, causing hundreds if not thousands of Obama voters to have to wait on him while he makes a comprehensive list of the pros and cons of each candidate in his voting booth, an effort which will require hours, thereby throwing New Jersey to the Republicans, and therefore the entire nation.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
I just spent an hour trying to convince a lady I barely knew in high school why she shouldn't vote for John McCain, like she vows to. 
This is a lady who's pro-choice, pro-gay, and anti-war.

It seems like it would be the easiest argument of all time to make, but she was having NONE of it.

Stupid Facebook.  Stupid politics.

Trembling Eagle, let me know if you need a roommate in Toronto.  Or do they call it "flatmate"?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:07 PM »
Trembling Eagle, let me know if you need a roommate in Toronto.  Or do they call it "flatmate"?

Igloomate.

Jason

« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2008, 11:53:37 PM »
I just spent an hour trying to convince a lady I barely knew in high school why she shouldn't vote for John McCain, like she vows to. 
This is a lady who's pro-choice, pro-gay, and anti-war.

It seems like it would be the easiest argument of all time to make, but she was having NONE of it.

Stupid Facebook.  Stupid politics.

$100

Come on, Jason

« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2008, 12:08:42 AM »
I don't know what that meant but I don't like it.

Come on, Jason

« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:37 AM »
Wait, I think I do like it. 
I like it, right?

scotttsss

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #296 on: September 23, 2008, 02:47:33 AM »
20% of people between the age 18-34 will probably be too busy playing World of Warcraft while the polls are open.

fuck yeah... I'm working on my Warlock right now, trying to get her up to 70 just to keep up with everything...  it's a changing World, come Wrath.  Politically though, I'm a complete jackass, I probably won't even take the time to vote, given my dumb-ass demographic.  I'm a careless fuck, democracy-wise! 

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #297 on: September 24, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ

COURIC: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

PALIN: He's also known as the maverick, though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about — the need to reform government.

COURIC: I'm just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?

PALIN: I'll try to find you some, and I'll bring them to you ya'.

Lady looks like she's about to have a nervous breakdown.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #298 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
You know it's bad when you're getting taken to pieces by Katie Couric. I actually felt bad for Palin for a minute while that was happening.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

<<<<<

« Reply #299 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:46 PM »
You know it's bad when you're getting taken to pieces by Katie Couric. I actually felt bad for Palin for a minute while that was happening.

At this point I think the question everyone is wondering is just how hard Biden will/should tear into her.