Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 853872 times)

AllisonLeGnome

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
I've probably said this before, but I think Obama supporters' blind trust is being overestimated. I hear people complaining about how he's a charismatic cult figure much more than I see people regarding him that way. Even the most excessively fervent Obama supporters I know will readily admit that they don't love everything about him or expect him to behave in a way radically different from any politician.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #496 on: October 06, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
The people declaring Obama a cult figure are the same media jerks who oozed "tonight was Sarah Palin's night!!" after the debate she clearly lost.  They live primarily to sensationalize stuff.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #497 on: October 06, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
I've probably said this before, but I think Obama supporters' blind trust is being overestimated. I hear people complaining about how he's a charismatic cult figure much more than I see people regarding him that way. Even the most excessively fervent Obama supporters I know will readily admit that they don't love everything about him or expect him to behave in a way radically different from any politician.

I'd agree that Fox News is certainly pushing the blind faith aspect way too hard but I do have several very politically active friends whose support approaches those levels. I will say that it seems to have dipped slightly since the end of the primaries.

Either way, November can't come soon enough.

Beth

• Space Champion!
« Reply #498 on: October 06, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »
She's now (mis) quoting Starbucks cups to try and gain the support of female voters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/05/palin-misquotes-albright_n_131967.html

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #499 on: October 06, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »
This lady is a mega bitch.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #500 on: October 06, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
I heard her say something this morning along the lines of "I'm glad that I'm providing work for Tina Fey".  Yes, the rise of Sarah Palin has lifted Emmy-winner Tina Fey from the depths of obscurity.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #501 on: October 06, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
I heard her say something this morning along the lines of "I'm glad that I'm providing work for Tina Fey".  Yes, the rise of Sarah Palin has lifted Emmy-winner Tina Fey from the depths of obscurity.

Not only that, but they may actually be looking to "spoof" Tina Fey now (David Zucker-style?).  Who says she holds grudges?

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #502 on: October 06, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »

Not only that, but they may actually be looking to "spoof" Tina Fey now (David Zucker-style?).  Who says she holds grudges?

Ugh.  Real-life politicians joking around with the people spoofing them is right up there with spoofs of Napolean Dynamite in my "Book of Worst Things".

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #503 on: October 06, 2008, 02:24:11 PM »

You see, being a Mayor is sort of like being the head writer on a TV show, except that you have actual responsiblilities.

Quote from: http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/zwecker/1203739,CST-FTR-fey05.article
It's looking more and more likely that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will appear on ''Saturday Night Live'' -- to have some fun with Tina Fey.

Please don't do that, SNL. The only thing that could redeem that scenario is Tina punching Sarah in the face.

The first skit (Tina & Amy as Sarah & Hillary) was brilliant ... but SNL does have a tendency to take a good thing, run it into the ground ...

... and then continue to burrow into the dirt until it's six feet under

... and then continue to burrow further, and fuhthuh, and fuhthuh.

(Hey Mawky, do you like my use of eclipses?)
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #504 on: October 06, 2008, 02:26:42 PM »
The first skit (Tina & Amy as Sarah & Hillary) was brilliant ... but SNL does have a tendency to take a good thing, run it into the ground ...

I think the Palin stuff is still pretty funny. The debate sketch had a lot of good stuff in it, including the devastating line: "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

I can see why Palin would want to hit back, but I agree that SNL should resist having her on. It would almost surely be horrible.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #505 on: October 06, 2008, 02:31:26 PM »

I think the Palin stuff is still pretty funny. The debate sketch had a lot of good stuff in it, including the devastating line: "I believe marriage is a sacred institution between two unwilling teenagers."

I can see why Palin would want to hit back, but I agree that SNL should resist having her on. It would almost surely be horrible.

It might be horrible, but you know everyone would watch it.  Plus it just gives the O'Reilly types more ammunition that the liberal media isn't being fair to poor little Sarah.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #506 on: October 06, 2008, 02:36:40 PM »
It might be horrible, but you know everyone would watch it. 

I'd be compelled to seek it out, in the same way Tom has a sick compulsion to see every Kevin Smith movie.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #507 on: October 06, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »

It would be more uncomfortable than if Nixon showed up and tried to clown around with Dan Aykroyd.  I'm of course talking about Nixon now

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #508 on: October 06, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #509 on: October 06, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

It would be more uncomfortable than if Nixon showed up and tried to clown around with Dan Aykroyd.  I'm of course talking about Nixon now

First they'd have to revive the corpse. I'm of course talking about Dan Ackroyd.