Author Topic: Humorless Politics Thread  (Read 854110 times)

Trembling Eagle

Re: Humorless Politics Thread
« Reply #720 on: October 19, 2008, 08:25:04 AM »
Don't get all worked up over anecdotal stuff, the cold hard numbers look good.

This was right over by the court house that decided the Dredd Scott Supreme Court case. The good guys can win one.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #721 on: October 19, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »
Racist Ohioan Mike Lunsford Hangs Obama Effigy from Noose in Tree

Ew Buoy.

Nasty!

I have to confess, every time something like this comes out of Ohio ppl in Indiana breathe a sigh of relief.  Not that we don't have nutjobs aplenty.

This goes double for those of us in the South.  I am not alone among Southerners in having met much more virulently racist people from the Northern part of the country than the South, but, unfortunately Southerners are the ones in the black-and-white videos with the dogs, the axe handles and the firehoses.

Preach it brother guff! Sadly, while we're not all racists down here, way too many of us are.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #722 on: October 19, 2008, 10:11:33 AM »
She's trying to prove she's a good sport who can take a joke at her expense.  I believe the hope is that, if people believe this, they will forgive her for championing ignorance and mongering hate.

I hate to say it, but I'm really worried about Maine.  A few weeks ago, I had faith in this surprisingly Democratic state, but I had forgotten the deep streak of racism that flows within the average Mainer.  I had forgotten the numerous arguments I've had with young white men here who complain about people of various hues taking their jobs--a particularly jaw-droppingly stupid claim given that there are only about seven blacks and Hispanics in the state.  I had forgotten that when Jesse Jackson won here it was semimeaningless, since caucuses attract only the most active Democrats.  Now I'm hearing that McCain-Palin signs are everywhere.  Worse, when someone is asked what s/he thinks of Obama, the response all too often is, "Oh, he seems like a nice guy, but . . ."  Mostly no one dares complete the sentence, but its conclusion is clear. 

If Obama loses (and more and more I'm thinking he will), anyone who attributes this to anything but race (or "cultural differences," as the code now goes) is naive, dumb, or a big fat liar.

Guess how I feel about Tennessee.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #723 on: October 19, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »
She's trying to prove she's a good sport who can take a joke at her expense.  I believe the hope is that, if people believe this, they will forgive her for championing ignorance and mongering hate.

I hate to say it, but I'm really worried about Maine.  A few weeks ago, I had faith in this surprisingly Democratic state, but I had forgotten the deep streak of racism that flows within the average Mainer.  I had forgotten the numerous arguments I've had with young white men here who complain about people of various hues taking their jobs--a particularly jaw-droppingly stupid claim given that there are only about seven blacks and Hispanics in the state.  I had forgotten that when Jesse Jackson won here it was semimeaningless, since caucuses attract only the most active Democrats.  Now I'm hearing that McCain-Palin signs are everywhere.  Worse, when someone is asked what s/he thinks of Obama, the response all too often is, "Oh, he seems like a nice guy, but . . ."  Mostly no one dares complete the sentence, but its conclusion is clear. 

If Obama loses (and more and more I'm thinking he will), anyone who attributes this to anything but race (or "cultural differences," as the code now goes) is naive, dumb, or a big fat liar.

Guess how I feel about Tennessee.

damn
dems are some beaten down mofos

si se puede people

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #724 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:57 AM »
Whether he wins or not I'm just happy I can cast my vote (for the first time) without sighing and feeling like I'm choosing the lesser of two evils or voting just to vote against the republicans. I actually truly believe in my candidate. I don't hang my head when I watch the debates, waiting for him to embarrass himself and the rest of the democratic party. It's so refreshing.
from the land of pleasant living

Sarah

« Reply #725 on: October 19, 2008, 01:21:54 PM »

damn
dems are some beaten down mofos

It's less that I'm a Dem than that I'm aging and infirm, Tee(h)E(e).  At this point, I'm banking on the sweet naivety of the young'uns who are still unbruised enough to be hopeful.

<<<<<

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #726 on: October 19, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »

Sarah

« Reply #727 on: October 19, 2008, 04:06:32 PM »
I am not reassured.

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #728 on: October 19, 2008, 08:37:21 PM »
Now is not the time for negativity or doubt! Now is the time for optimism and hope! Just for like 16 days. You can do it!

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #729 on: October 19, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »
I'm not just being optimistic for the sake of hope or change or blah blah blah. I actually like the man's policies and the character he displayed in [at least two of the three] debates.

In fact, I'm not optimistic that he'll win at all. I think he'll lose because the voting systems are fucked. But I'm glad to be voting for someone who's politics I agree with and who's personality I don't despise. I couldn't tell what Kerry was all about and Gore was an embarrassment in the public eye.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #730 on: October 19, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
I couldn't tell what Kerry was all about and Gore was an embarrassment in the public eye.

I like Gore a lot more than I did in 2000.  He's become a lot more mellow and human-seeming.  No doubt the lack of pressure, or maybe it was that retreat he went on in 2002 with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #731 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
Oh absolutely. I grew to like Gore when he wasn't being over-handled or separating himself from Clinton like he was the devil...

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #732 on: October 20, 2008, 12:20:23 AM »
Oh absolutely. I grew to like Gore when he wasn't being over-handled or separating himself from Clinton like he was the devil...

Hey Erika that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is member of the tribe?

something about her seems a little .....urban to me.

Sarah

« Reply #733 on: October 20, 2008, 06:20:31 AM »
Now is not the time for negativity or doubt! Now is the time for optimism and hope! Just for like 16 days. You can do it!

No, I can't. 

chrisfoll577

« Reply #734 on: October 20, 2008, 08:38:40 AM »

Hey Erika that Debbie Wasserman Schultz is member of the tribe?

something about her seems a little .....urban to me.

I'm with Tom... I don't know what to make of TE.  He's one of a kind. Thank God.