Author Topic: Sunday good movie bi-fecta  (Read 38937 times)

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Sunday good movie bi-fecta
« Reply #90 on: January 01, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
So I watched Babel today.  What a heavy-handed, manipulative, contrived, pointless, portentous piece of crap--and, yes, very reminiscent of Crash
Exactly! I saw Babel in a theater late 2007 and I walked out just shy of half way through. I don't walk out of movies very often, this one I have almost completely blocked out of my mind. Brad Pitt and Kate Blanchett sitting in some third world country commiserating about their first world problems. Enough already. Darjeeling Limited, I really enjoyed that film...I have no perspective regarding Wes Anderson films. I love all of them.

Sarah

« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2009, 06:00:48 AM »
Oh, don't get me wrong--I enjoyed it.  I just didn't like it as much as others.  It seemed to be trying too hard to be fey.  So, so brittle.  My point was merely that it displayed more insight and sensitivity than that other pretentious pile of twaddle (or pile of pretentious twaddle).

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »
I understood your point and agree completely, just shamelessly expressing my fandom for Wes Anderson. I think that is what I like about movies in general, the attempt to not directly reflect reality while telling a story. Wes Anderson seems to do that, with varying degrees of success. Still, I look forward to his next effort.

Sarah

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »
This morning, unwilling to start the day with the desolation of Ghosts . . . of the Civil Dead, I decided to prime the pump with Michael Clayton.  It was pretty okay, though I did wonder which came first: it or the TV show Damages.  I was especially taken with Tilda Swinton's twitchy portrayal of a small-time amoralist.

Onward to hell!

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
Though yesterday wasn't Sunday, I watched what I thought would be a good movie bi-fecta but didn't turn out to be so. First up was Man on Wire, which I loved. I followed it up with Straw Dogs, which I'd heard so many raves about that I just assumed it would be good, but I thought it stunk.

Good movie bi-fecta denied.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
New Year's Eve

The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit: awesome.

Tropic Thunder: mediocre.

Sarah

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »
I look forward to his next effort.

As do I.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
So I watched Babel today.  What a heavy-handed, manipulative, contrived, pointless, portentous piece of crap--and, yes, very reminiscent of Crash

I thought no one would see this movie ever again after I jumped off the top rope on it.  Slam!
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sarah

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »
Just finished Ghosts . . . of the Civil Dead.  As expected.  Well worth watching.  Although I now feel fairly desolate and slightly sick.  Maybe I'll watch Salo next.

Sarah

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
I decided to watch Eastern Promises instead.  Not bad at all.  But I can't help wondering whether we'll ever see the David Cronenberg of yore again.  I mean, I liked this one and A History of Violence, but I'd hate to think old D.C. had turned his back entirely on the squelchy horror that caused me to love him in the first place.

Sarah

« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
I'm just going to keep talking to myself about movies here.

Last night, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.  I recognize that it was well done, that the acting was good, that blah blah blah.  But it left me cold.  When it was done, all I could think was, "What was the point?"  Now, why this movie would seem less pointful than the others I've watched recently, I don't know, but it did.  Maybe it was that it tried so hard to be unrelenting and dismal.  Maybe it was--unfairly--because I was a bit tired of movies stuffed full with time switches and changing POVs.  Maybe it was because we never find out what Hank's comeuppance is--or does he simply flail off into the distance with his duffel bag full of drugs and money (I know he left some cash for the sister, but he didn't give her all of it), and, if so, why doesn't he merit retribution?  Who knows.  Maybe I just watched too many movies yesterday.

theyellowchair

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
I was especially taken with Tilda Swinton's twitchy portrayal of a small-time amoralist.
I'm entirely smitten by Tilda Swinton. Am I destined for hell?

Sarah

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2009, 12:04:55 PM »
I can see how she could be an object of fascination. 

SJK

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2009, 03:31:49 PM »
I just saw Tilda Swinton in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button. She is breathtaking, not convinced she is entirely human. Her role in Michael Clayton was excellent.

Erik

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »
Friday night I cozied up to Hated — the gg allin documentary. Really hilarious at some points and quite sad at others. Even watched some of the bonus footage!

Saturday was The French Connection. Classic. I had seen it before, but lately Ive been on the kick of rewatching favorites rather than digging for gems I haven't seen.