Author Topic: The City of St. Louis, MO  (Read 8519 times)

Steve in North Hollywood

• Space Champion!
Re: The City of St. Louis, MO
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »
Racism aside, St. Louis is clearly no friend to the endangered species. 

I drove through there a couple years ago on my way out to Lipstick City, CA.  I was horrified to see two o' nem gigantic elephant tusks reachin' up'ere into the sky and touchin' at the tips like a big archway, er somethin'!  It musta been over fifty feet high and it was surrounded by tourists!

At a gas station, I asked one of the locals about it and he seemed prouder than ever to have that monstrosity lubin' over the city like'at.

Being from the great state of PA which honors its animals, such as the Philadelphia Eagle, the Penn State Nitany Lion, the Pittsburgh Penguin, and the Hershey Bear, I was downright applaud!  I ain't never goin' back'ere.  No way and no day.
"I was in the shower and it occurred to me why the Hendersons named their guest "Harry."  That movie has layers!" ~ Jack Doneghy, 30 Rock.

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 10:02:41 AM »

Except for Vegas.  Everything they say about Vegas is absolutely true.

Even the part about what happens there, stays there?

I have to admit, the first thing that crossed my mind when reading this thread was that Trembling Eagle was working on a new character.

SaturdayAfternoonBeefClub

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »
You can take the racists out of St. Louis.

And you can put the affluent back into St. Louis.

But you can't take the boring out of St. Louis.

And you can't put Keith Hernandez back into a St. Louis uniform.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
I drove through there a couple years ago on my way out to Lipstick City, CA. 

So now MO is a drive-through state too?  Jeesh...j/k

I recently moved to St. Louis and work in NYC.

It’s the only place I’ve been where the wealthy, literally, have giant fenced-in neighborhoods to keep out the “undesirables.”   They even go so far to hire private security firms to patrol their blocks. 

Now, I’ve had the misfortune to do U-Turns in “private communities” in NJ, CT and RI, with their own moonlighting cops on patrol.  But usually they're off the beaten-path.  Not so in St. Louis.  They’re dropped right in the center of working class neighborhoods and border "blight."   

This makes me believe the only the difference boils down to visibility.   For the most part, St. Louis isn't hiding its poor with highways (as NJ does so well), or public works projects (good job Manhattan) or good public transportation systems (excellent job ‘L’). 

From what I can tell, they didn't have a visionary like Robert Moses, or the tax base, to due all the dirty work for them.

tomkaters

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
St. Louis' greatest problem is its pizza...seriously.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 01:34:48 PM »

What you don't like "Provel," the Velveeta-equivalent of mozzarella?

I found a decent pizza place.  They claim they're from New Jersey, and I went a few times.  But then I got in a fight with the owner because they charge full price for half toppings and he banned me.   Well, I shouldn't say "banned."  Or "fight."  It was actually anonymously submitted through their myspace account and he told me to "come in and we'll talk about."  In Jersey that means he would probably break my eye-lids, or something.  So I haven't been back.

I was going to call and complain to Tom during an appropriate topic.  But I didn't want to sound cheap. 

But seriously: half the toppings should equal half the price. If I wanted to pay full price I'd order a pizza with toppings on the whole thing.

Oh, 10-Speed, what's wrong with me....

todd

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »

Fuck you, Imo's is amazing.

By the way... breaking news from a St. Louis suburb: "Hit A Jew Day" announced at a junior high school!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/10/24/dnt.hit.jew.day.ksdk

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
It's Marky Mark's fault.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 01:51:18 PM »

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. Born and raised in St. Louis, I'm pretty much the gulliest sandwich in the game.

How I get down: An egg foo young patty, made up of multiple whipped eggs, some bean sprouts and a dash of minced white onions; two slices of white bread, Wonder Bread if you're a real baller, slather that mess generously with mayonnaise; throw on your various toppings, basically some combination of lettuce, tomato, and pickle, maybe some meat.
And enjoy!

Holler at your boy at Wong's Inn, Mai-Lee's, Chong Wah, La Chong Wah, Lam's Garden, Delmar Lee's, Big L Chop Suey, Bing Lau, Kam Wah, Young's, Hing Lung, Song's, Dr. King Chop Suey, Kingshighway Chop Suey, Hon's Wok, and all your favorite Chop Suey Chinamen spots.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=117760455

putkcbackinks

• Policemans heel
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »

At least until there's another "I-70" World Series with the Cards and the Royals, right?  That doesn't appear to be a threat in the immediate future, as the Royals have been far from those glory days. But you never know.

I get interested in stats like this "dissimilarity index," which I didn't even know existed until I read the above post. That list reads like a rogues gallery of rust belt/northern cities with real economic problems. And I say so as a New Yorker, dismayed to see my city's region in fourth place on that list. I haven't yet looked into how it's calculated, but it seems like lots of southern and western cities are conspicuous in their absence like:  Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc.

I think it's time to kill this thread or move it out of Show Discussion, or Tom will be angry.

The Royals were actually offered the chance to move to the National League before the Brewers. MLB thought a rivalry with the Cards might help their slumping ticket sales. They rejected the offer, citing some imaginary rivalry they had with the Yankees. Well, imaginary to Yankees fans, anyway. But yeah, a real missed opportunity there.

As for the index, it is interesting that some of the most integrated areas are in the South. I think its probably because in the 40s and 50s while some people in the North and West were getting rich and suburbanizing, NO ONE in the south was, so cities remained much the same til the banking booms in the late 80s and 90s. I don't quite know how to explain the West, other than that there are generally less black people there. Keep in mind this is only the dissimilarity between whites and blacks, not whites and Hispanics, Native Americans, Asian Americans, etc

So now MO is a drive-through state too?  Jeesh...j/k

I recently moved to St. Louis and work in NYC.

It’s the only place I’ve been where the wealthy, literally, have giant fenced-in neighborhoods to keep out the “undesirables.”   They even go so far to hire private security firms to patrol their blocks. 

Now, I’ve had the misfortune to do U-Turns in “private communities” in NJ, CT and RI, with their own moonlighting cops on patrol.  But usually they're off the beaten-path.  Not so in St. Louis.  They’re dropped right in the center of working class neighborhoods and border "blight."  

This makes me believe the only the difference boils down to visibility.   For the most part, St. Louis isn't hiding its poor with highways (as NJ does so well), or public works projects (good job Manhattan) or good public transportation systems (excellent job ‘L’). 

From what I can tell, they didn't have a visionary like Robert Moses, or the tax base, to due all the dirty work for them.

Those private streets in St. Louis you're talking about were actually built in the 1910s and at the time had the goal of protecting the super-rich from the "undesirables" which were the merely rich. All of that area deteriorated pretty quick in the 50s and 60s, but the houses on those private streets got rehabbed in the 80s largely by wealthy professors from nearby Saint Louis and Washington Universities. They have to have private security because everything, including the streets, are privately owned. If you own a house there, your property line extends out to the middle of the street. The owners have to pay in common to have it repaved, plowed, you name it. The police don't patrol private property. The point is the "blight" popped up around the gated private streets, nothing was plopped down in the middle of working class anything. The County certainly does have the private communities you're describing, though.

And visibility really is the issue here. That's why I was saying go check out Cabrini Green. In cities like NYC and Chicago it really can become "out of sight, out of mind."

The real problem is PAYING for St. Louis pizza. Same price as anywhere else, but its like a cracker with pizza toppings on it. I do like provel cheese though, and there are a few places that incorporate it into Chicago-style with amazing results. Feraro's "Jersey Style" is by far the best in St. Louis though.

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 01:58:21 PM »

I don't think I've ever had Chinese breakfast before...

Wow!  Did you just combine two, count them, TWO, threads in one?

Emily

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 02:00:21 PM »
Drove through it once. Love that arch!

putkcbackinks

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »

What you don't like "Provel," the Velveeta-equivalent of mozzarella?

I found a decent pizza place.  They claim they're from New Jersey, and I went a few times.  But then I got in a fight with the owner because they charge full price for half toppings and he banned me.   Well, I shouldn't say "banned."  Or "fight."  It was actually anonymously submitted through their myspace account and he told me to "come in and we'll talk about."  In Jersey that means he would probably break my eye-lids, or something.  So I haven't been back.

I was going to call and complain to Tom during an appropriate topic.  But I didn't want to sound cheap. 

But seriously: half the toppings should equal half the price. If I wanted to pay full price I'd order a pizza with toppings on the whole thing.

Oh, 10-Speed, what's wrong with me....

That guy used to be my neighbor. I assure you he is reasonable and won't break your eyelids or earlobes or any other body part that I have a hard time imagining how it would break. The secret there is that all the named pizzas with set toppings are usually way more than if you just individually pick them out. Not sure how that happened.

I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal. Born and raised in St. Louis, I'm pretty much the gulliest sandwich in the game.

How I get down: An egg foo young patty, made up of multiple whipped eggs, some bean sprouts and a dash of minced white onions; two slices of white bread, Wonder Bread if you're a real baller, slather that mess generously with mayonnaise; throw on your various toppings, basically some combination of lettuce, tomato, and pickle, maybe some meat.
And enjoy!

Holler at your boy at Wong's Inn, Mai-Lee's, Chong Wah, La Chong Wah, Lam's Garden, Delmar Lee's, Big L Chop Suey, Bing Lau, Kam Wah, Young's, Hing Lung, Song's, Dr. King Chop Suey, Kingshighway Chop Suey, Hon's Wok, and all your favorite Chop Suey Chinamen spots.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=117760455

I am by all accounts a sandwich connoisseur, so I am embarrassed to admit that I've never had a St. Paul Sandwich. I think the speed bump has been that any place that sells them looks like if you were to go in there and order it you'd accidentally be speaking in code and would be given some amount of methamphetamine or will have signed on to smuggle immigrants in your trunk from some barge on the riverfront to a meat packing plant outside of Joplin.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
I don't think I've ever had Chinese breakfast before...

Wow!  Did you just combine two, count them, TWO, threads in one?

Inadvertently, but I guess so.  DAMN that picture is making me hungry. 

tenspeed

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 02:33:45 PM »
Inadvertently, but I guess so.  DAMN that picture is making me hungry. 

I guess it's my duty as a transplant to try such a modern marvel of culinary creativity.

If I haven't posted by Saturday, call the paramedics...or at least a good upper GI doctor.