Author Topic: Anyone seen Prop 8 the Musical on Funny or Die?  (Read 4570 times)

John Junk 2.0

Anyone seen Prop 8 the Musical on Funny or Die?
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »
I can't bring myself to watch.

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Anyone seen Prop 8 the Musical on Funny or Die?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 12:39:53 AM »
It's not terrible. And only a couple minutes long.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 02:03:22 AM »
It's not unwatchable.

(It does some of the really ignorant "Hey Christians, if you hate gays why don't you follow the entire canon of Jewish law" business, which bugs me.  An informed Christian-bashing is a more effective Christian-bashing.)

John Junk 2.0

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:13:12 AM »
Okay I just watched it.  It wasn't funny, but should it Die?  I don't know.  I give it a C.

I really hate that West Wing Mrs. Crabapple lady though.

Also, w.t.f., where was all this shit BEFORE the election??

Jixby Phillips

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »
man I dont know what it is, but the whole idea of funny or die is basically the opposite of enticing for me.

In fact I will see a video that WAS featured on funny or die on some other site, and like it, but it still won't get me to go over to funny or die to actually laugh at or kill videos. 

But I can barely tolerate any tiny-screen online streaming video sites unless I'm looking for something super specific, I guess that's just it really.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:42:17 AM »
It's not unwatchable.

(It does some of the really ignorant "Hey Christians, if you hate gays why don't you follow the entire canon of Jewish law" business, which bugs me.  An informed Christian-bashing is a more effective Christian-bashing.)

But that would require the Christian-bashers to actually know something about Christianity. This way, it's less work. In many ways it's like that sea of protestors who picketed Scorsese's "Last Temptation of Christ" without ever having seen the film or read the book. Ignorance cuts both ways!!!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:45:28 AM »
Of all "or die" things I much prefer "Skate".

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:03 AM »
i'll go with "Vote". I got'chu, Puffy!
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 08:47:31 AM »
In many ways it's like that sea of protestors who picketed Scorsese's "Last Temptation of Christ" without ever having seen the film or read the book.

They knew that if they saw it they'd be forced to admit that Willem Dafoe is Lord.

Sarah

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 08:57:34 AM »
Meh, as you young folks say.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:07:22 AM »
I'll watch it if someone digitally removes Margaret Cho.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »
Do you think she insisted on wearing a tanktop to show off her late-in-life (speculating) tats? (aka Lex Garofalo)

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
Margaret Cho:  hotter or funnier?

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:45 PM »
It's not unwatchable.

Could you explain the distinction? I'd like to understand, and I don't see it. To my mind, the Bible says a lot of things that seem completely crazy. Its interdictions against homosexuality fall into that category. I'm not sure how that is simple-minded, and I'd like to understand.

People who actually have to deal with homophobia and anti-gay forces in our world, frankly, need to marshal every available argument. It's not an easy task.

Also, fighting back against anti-gay Christians is not the same thing as Christian-bashing, although anti-gay Christians would probably like you to think so. For example, I am both gay and Christian, and I don't interpret most criticisms of Christianity with respect to gay/lesbian issues, or practically in any other context, as an attack on my faith. I sense that you already kind of realize this, and I don't mean to be obnoxious about it.

Gay and lesbian people are feeling a little demoralized right about now and could use some help from our straight allies.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
Maybe this is the distinction: It's one thing to say, "Leviticus says that God hates homosexual behavior, but it also says that people should not consume shellfish, and on and on. So that means that you Christians can't eat shrimp. Do you? If so, you're a hypocrite!"

It's another thing to place that so-called condemnation of homosexual behavior in the context of all the frankly nutty prohibitions and condemnations in Leviticus, many of which non-fundamentalists accept as the prejudices or beliefs of the writers/transcribers of what Christians now refer to as the Old Testiment. So maybe it shouldn't be considered God's law that gay people be condemned in the world of today. That kind of distinction I can grasp.