Author Topic: Health Question  (Read 4517 times)

break

• Achilles bursitis
Re: Health Question
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:05 AM »
Anyhow, he was feeling around the wound and said sometimes bits of teeth or even a whole tooth can get left in the wound sometimes.

That happened to my dad when I was little.  He was bitten on the arm by a stray and weeks later when it finally healed up he noticed it still had a weird bump.  He went to the doctor, who made a small incision and found a cat tooth. 

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
If you get bitten badly, especially on your hand or near other bones, they'll give you an xray to also see if the cat's teeth nicked the bone. If any of the toxins get into your bone, you can get an insane infection and an abscess. So hopefully they weren't scamming you.

Luckily mine is in a fleshy spot and is more yellow-purple-blue than red. So I don't see any sort of infection.
from the land of pleasant living

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:43 AM »
No, he was a good GP. I was half-joking I remember, it was kind of a raised wound and placed near the knuckle. It was worth checking out, but he didn't find anything in the X-ray. And that was, I don't know, two years ago? It healed fine.

Has your cat tried to apologize to you? My jerk cat nipped me last night in bed. She was purring, so I reached over to give her a pat, and the little jerk nipped me! She didn't break the skin, though. She left the bed and came back to the bedroom door ten minutes later, meowing mournfully. I patted the bed, she jumped up and walked all over me as is her wont, and then she sat down next to my head, snuggled, and licked my hand. She is sweet. And sour sometimes, but mostly sweet.

As I'm sure you know, you should go to the doctor if you see any sign of infection. Hope it heals okay!
Too soon?

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »
The least the cat can do now is to try and raise medical funds for you on this board. 

Brilliant!

You'll know if it is getting infected. I think everyone else is right - you can just keep it clean, and keep an eye on it.

(Also, I believe this is yet more evidence of dogs' superiority! Cats bite their owners on a regular basis?)

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
Na, this is only the second time I've been bitten in my whole life. The other time, the kitty was stuck behind a dryer and I tried to pull her out and she got scared and chomped me.

Herc sleeps in our rec room in the basement so he was pretty much down there all night. But I did go visit him for a sec (when I was less mad) and he purred and gave me a head-butt. So I think we're ok. Now I just have to convince the stray kitties not to live on my porch anymore.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »
The least the cat can do now is to try and raise medical funds for you on this board. 

Brilliant!

You'll know if it is getting infected. I think everyone else is right - you can just keep it clean, and keep an eye on it.

(Also, I believe this is yet more evidence of dogs' superiority! Cats bite their owners on a regular basis?)

I'm not a fan of cats (as you may have already guessed). These stories have done nothing to dissuade me from my views, instead, they've reinforced them.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
Are you a fan of any pets? Because most species do this sort of thing from time to time.

erechoveraker

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
My cat only bites me when I'm beating him up, and even then we have to be really playing hard for him to lose his mind that much. He's a total sweetheart all the other time (aside from the occasional nursing nip when he's really catnipped up).

Amplituden

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
My wife works in a vet-clinic and she would tell you to get some medical attention.
One of the vets who is a surgeon got bit on his hand and it got really infected, he can no longer do surgeries.
I am not trying to freak you out howevers.
A poor man's Bronson Pinchot.

iAmBaronVonTito

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 02:23:58 PM »
good heavens. 

where's your cat collecting the money, paypal?  everyone send donations to: 7lbsofflesh4erika@yahoo.com

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
Are you a fan of any pets? Because most species do this sort of thing from time to time.

Dogs. The dogs I've owned have never bitten me, but I know that dogs will do this from time to time. Cats frequently seem to bite their owners, and this puzzles me.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »
Nah not frequently. In 29 years of owning cats it's happened to me twice. (bitten by my Lhasa-mix once too) But cats are definitely more frightened than dogs and more easily sketched out. Sometimes the "nipping" is just love bites.

Fido

• Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 06:55:09 PM »
I'm reassured to hear this.

My views are probably biased by my friends' dyspeptic cat Fred, who had the unfortunate custom of biting his owners when he wanted to be fed. I think Fred was the feline equivalent of a sociopath.

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »
And different cats have different temperaments. Zowie is usually sweet, but she sometimes has a sassy calico princess attitude. Sid, on the other hand, is a very sweet boy and has not bitten or scratched me once!
Too soon?

Sarah

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
Both my cats bite me regularly out of sheer love.  Painful, painful love.  Another cat of mine liked to chew on my knuckles and would slash me frequently.  Yet another, the very crazy Betty, would bite and claw with every intention of maiming even while she was purring ecstatically while being patted.  And three others never bit or clawed once in their lives.

That sums up my cat experiences of the last twenty years.  I think the results are inconclusive.