Author Topic: I have no beef with Spike!  (Read 4841 times)

Pastor Josh

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
I have no beef with Spike!
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:09:28 PM »
Dear Spike,
I didn't mention you when I called in this week.  I'm not trying to pick a fight!  I'd love you to come to my church, but, according to mapquest, we're about a fourteen hour drive from the NYC Metropolitan area, it might not be feasible, unless you're just in the area.  What do you look for in a church, Spike?
Who I don't have chocolate?

Big Plastic Head

Re: I have no beef with Spike!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
Dear Spike,
What do you look for in a church, Spike?

Can open. Worms everywhere...
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

LesSavyFan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
What do you look for in a church, Spike?

I'm sure a dungeon is a must.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:45:59 PM »
Pastor Josh, are you prepared to wear a Freddy mask and share the pulpit with a doo-wop choir?
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
If Freddy mask not available, leather zipper mask a must. Ball gags handed out to the congregation at the door.
Silence...is golden. Duct tape...is silver.

Viceroy Slim

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »
I'm sure a dungeon is a must.
catholic?
i was wearing short pants when you were in curls.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
Pastor Josh, are you prepared to wear a Freddy mask and share the pulpit with a doo-wop choir?

Freddy mask, yes.  Doo wop choir?  Never in a brazillion years.  I did actually talk about Freddy and Jason in a recent sermon, though.

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:05:22 PM »
Which one represented Jesus?

Pastor Josh

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
Which one represented Jesus?

Johnny Depp, who is brutally murdered for the sins of others.  Actually, I was talking about how those movies are startling, but not really scary, because they never step outside thier pattern, whereas with something like Eraserhead or the Black Lodge scenes in Twin Peaks you can't figure out what's going on, which leads to real fear.  (But I didn't talk about that in my sermon.  I would have gotten way too many blank stares.)

gravy boat

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
Man of the cloth or not, starting a link claiming that you have no beef with someone clearly indicates you do have a beef with them.

Humbly yours,
gb

Pastor Josh

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »
Man of the cloth or not, starting a link claiming that you have no beef with someone clearly indicates you do have a beef with them.

Humbly yours,
gb

He started his call last week saying I had brought him up in my call, and he didn't sound happy about it.  I just wanted to be clear that I didn't bring him up and I ain't trying to.  It would be cool if he came to  church, though.  Just wanted all that on the record.

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 01:26:25 AM »
I was talking about how those movies are startling, but not really scary, because they never step outside thier pattern, whereas with something like Eraserhead or the Black Lodge scenes in Twin Peaks you can't figure out what's going on, which leads to real fear.  (But I didn't talk about that in my sermon.  I would have gotten way too many blank stares.)
You could've. But followed that up with an analysis of The Straight Story and The Elephant Man, both by Mr. Lynch. Two of the finest compassionate and human films ever made. The Savior and the Apostles would be proud of those.

Pastor Josh

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »
I actually haven't seen _The Elephant Man_, but I agree with you about _The Straight Story_, which apparently Lynch hated.  He said he only did it to raise money to make _Mulholland Drive_.  I still think of the scene with Sissy Spacek in the gorecery store buying supplies for her father's trip and tear up.   "Having a party?"  Wonderful film.

spaceprophet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »
OK, I'll give you that sir. But watch The Elephant Man. And tell me that doesn't make you think, even with what a priest has to deal with. I guarantee that film will stay with you the rest of your life. In a good way.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 04:06:40 AM »
I actually haven't seen _The Elephant Man_, but I agree with you about _The Straight Story_, which apparently Lynch hated.  He said he only did it to raise money to make _Mulholland Drive_.  I still think of the scene with Sissy Spacek in the gorecery store buying supplies for her father's trip and tear up.   "Having a party?"  Wonderful film.

I don't know about that.   I've never heard that he "hated" The Straight Story.  It may not be as personal to him as his usual fare but it was cowritten by his longtime ladyfriend and was certainly made with great care.  It's not an Alan Smithee film like DUNE anyway. 

Wait, what thread is this again?