Author Topic: Amazonian ant has dispensed of sex and developed into an all-female species  (Read 3449 times)

A.M. Thomas

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7998931.stm

This is so awesome.  "This species - the first ever to be shown to reproduce entirely without sex - cultivates a garden of fungus, which also reproduces asexually."

Ants are such amazing creatures.  It makes me wonder why more species haven't evolved to regulate sexual reproduction.  Though, maybe we just haven't discovered them yet.  Evolution at work!

(Insert Andrea Dworkin joke here!)

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Kim Kelly

Too soon?

hugman

both of those things sound so hot....jpegs?  Whaaaaaaat?

Sarah

Science fiction has been positing this kind of thing forever.  Come to think of it, humans may be in the running sooner than we think:  sperm counts are dropping worldwide.

Trembling Eagle

sexual reproduction gives your species more versatility with genes.

I predict we'll soon ( in relative terms, maybe 5-600 years) dispense with purely random sexual selection and regulate or reproduction with our science.

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!
sexual reproduction gives your species more versatility with genes.

I predict we'll soon ( in relative terms, maybe 5-600 years) dispense with purely random sexual selection and regulate or reproduction with our science.

And you thought you had a hard time getting laid NOW.

Come on, Jason

Don't even get me started!

Emily

• Space Champion!
Wasn't this like the subplot of jurassic park?

Regular Joe

• Space Champion!

Don't even get me started!

I deserved this, 100%.

scratchbomb

The male ants died out because they wouldn't ask for directions to the womens' anthills! Am I right? Ladies, back me up on this!
scratchbomb.com: a potentially explosive collection of verbal irritants

Trembling Eagle

The male ants died out because they wouldn't ask for directions to the womens' anthills! Am I right? Ladies, back me up on this!

BOOM!