Author Topic: Joanna Newsom  (Read 8115 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Joanna Newsom
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 05:32:23 PM »
Echoing what Jane said, it's not just that her voice is annoying.  I often don't have a problem w/ "difficult" singers.  It's like you can hear how long she spent cultivating the most elf-ish, forest creature-y voice she could manage, with the Dark Crystal look to go along with it. 

jane

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 08:42:44 PM »

Also: Steve Albini called Newsom a "bad-ass".  He claims he once saw her beat up David Yow.

Wow, i wouldn't want to mess with her...but I think I could take Albini.

John Junk

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
The new album is much less tolerable than her prior work which was more tune-like.

Yes is far more tolerable than The Milk-Eyed Mender, i.e., the vocals are much less annoying. 

I totally agree!  I'm partial to "Starship Troopers", and the Peel Session versions of "Dear Father" are excellent.

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 03:27:38 PM »
Pigasus -

I'm glad you like Joanna Newsom. The stuff didnt work for me. That's what makes horse races, I guess. I'm also in the minority around most parts for not being on board the new folk train.

It's also nice to see that you're enough of a fan to distribute her catalog for free to anyone who asks. With support like that she'll be working at a Blimpie's in no time.

Tom.

Grimlock

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
It's not the "long formed" quality of Joanna Newsom's work that annoys me, it's her quirky, impish style...she's Bjork with a harp. 

( To self: Oh I hope that this quoting works right, or else I'll feel like a doofus)

Here's what's funny is that I wasn't quite sure who this Joanna Newsom was, but reading this description, it reminded me of this lady I sometimes here on the New Afternoon Show on that NYU station, and I thought, I wonder if it's that same lady, because it sure does sound like it, and, sure enough, I listened to some song samples, and in two seconds I was validated!

Thanks Jane.

And for the record, I always felt like I should like this up-til-now-personally-unnamed Joanna Newsom because i really like Mia Doi Todd, but felt kind of like this was some kind of romper room music, or perhaps a Pan loving Polyphonic Spree heresy, or Animal Collective protege, and just never liked it much.

So, there it is. I'm no punk-fighter, (although I like lots of what Tom plays) and could be more than happy listening to Achtung Baby and both Baby Dayliner's and DB's Heroes (just that one song) for the rest of my life.

But this lady reminds me of something that I don't like, like perhaps gorging oneself on candy canes for a week, puking, and then rolling around in it with a smile stapled to your face.

grimlock out

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »

Also: Steve Albini called Newsom a "bad-ass".  He claims he once saw her beat up David Yow.

Wow, i wouldn't want to mess with her...but I think I could take Albini.

That guy must have gotten his ass kicked every single day in high-school. With a mouth like that and his nautalis sculpted physique...

Tim K in DC

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 01:17:53 AM »
My vote re. Joanna Newsom (as I mentioned in the chat): she sounds like a caterwauling retarded little girl.

The best (and only) David Yow joke I ever heard came from David Yow himself. There was this cable access show in the mid-90s called HYPE TV and when they weren't plugging the Freedom Rally or doing promos from wet t-shirt contests in Providence, they would occasionally get some pretty cool inteviews and live footage. One episode, they managed to get some time from the Jesus Lizard (circa Down or Liar). Shred from WBCN was interviewing Yow after the show at some godawful Landsdowne Street venue and he asked him how he keeps his voice in shape on the road considering his booze and weed intake. Yow responded thusly:
"What does David Yow and a shetland pony have in common?"

(wait for it)

"They're both a little horse."

Ba-dum. CRASH!
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

John Junk

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:44:17 AM »
Is it me or is Joanna Newsome the second coming of Jewel?  She's like Jewel for record snobs.  Jewel-squared.  Jewel for the authenticy-conscious.  Jewel for people who know who David Yow is.

pigasus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
It is you.
...Gorcey?

Richard_From_CHI

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
Love her or hate her, her music has little to do with Jewel other than the facts that they are both women who sing.

The shetland pony joke is genius.

Oh David Yow, why aren't you still making records...

Tim K in DC

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »
David Yow is still making records, actually. With a new band called Model/Actress that includes Todd Phillips (x-Bullet LaVolta) and at least one of the former members of Braniac. They have an EP out on Thick (a Chicago label, in fact) and a full-length in the works.
- Killing FOT threads dead since July 24, 2006 -

Laurie

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
Mactress is a much better name for a band.

pigasus

• Policemans heel
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 03:52:42 PM »
Please create a new discussion thread for all this David Yow chat. I find it distracting. Thanks!
...Gorcey?

Jason

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »
I'd rather watch Newsom than Yow.
He's like GG lite.

John Junk

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 04:45:37 PM »
I once saw Jewel beat up GG Allen.