Author Topic: .gifs  (Read 166940 times)

Pidgeon

Re: .gifs
« Reply #495 on: March 19, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
Hey, you're the one who said that they're funny.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #496 on: March 19, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
Hey, you're the one who said that they're funny.

My sister, who died in 1978, was one. So I got lots of opportunities to see pricks laugh at her.

Pidgeon

« Reply #497 on: March 19, 2011, 01:15:27 PM »
Well, I'm sorry I didn't consult everybody before I posted it.

The guy sprays his hair in a funny way. What do you want me to say?

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #498 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
Classy.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Sarah

« Reply #499 on: March 19, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »
Look, the guy was obviously being deliberately funny.  Is he not allowed to try to amuse people just because he has an extra chromosome?  I understand your sensitivity, DfK (and I'm sorry about your sister--she must have died young), but is it not possible that Alex P. was just posting something he found entertaining in and of itself, regardless of the genetic condition under which the perpetrator of the joke operates?

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #500 on: March 19, 2011, 03:02:04 PM »
Yes! Thus, me asking, rather than assuming he's an asshole. I gave him a chance to identify which camp he was in; he chose to make a vague response that seemed to toss it back at me, so I rather more pointedly voiced my potential problem with the situation.

I was 20 when she died, on her 27th birthday. One of my stories I have not shared on the show. Should I? Seems like it wouldn't fit the general tone.

In my experience working as a summer camp counselor at Easter Seals Camp, my opinion that many Down's Syndrome kids were naturally hilarious was confirmed over and over. I had a couple of kids that did the greatest Elvis impression you ever saw (Well it's a 1 for the money.....(dramatic, REALLY dramatic pause, the the arm would whirlwind like Pete Townshend, and ) 2 for the show.))

The older kids we would take to the mall, and of course, they would draw attention, and like any kids, would love the attention. Some would go into their patented routines, like the Elvis impersonation. Lots of lovely people in the crowd would laugh along with the kids good-naturedly, and would talk to them afterwards. The kids LOVED it.

But there was always a little group of fuckwads, standing in the back, laughing and pointing at the "retards". Yep, I heard it more than once.

So, out of context, I was curious to see which perspective Alex P's enjoyment was coming from. His response didn't really clear that up for me, and I am "at an age" where I have quit giving people the benefit of the doubt. I would love to have seen Alex P respond with something in the neighborhood of "That kid is great". Instead I got, "you're the one who called them funny", so, while I bear no ill will against him, I felt it the responsible thing to make it very clear to everyone where I am coming from, in case they considered making "retard" jokes in my presence.

My sister was Down's and severely mentally retarded. People laughing with her added joy to all our lives. People laughing at her was never really good for anyone.

Sorry, Alex P, if my response seemed harsh. Had you been "laughing at the retard", it was not harsh enough.

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #501 on: March 19, 2011, 03:36:20 PM »
Yes! Thus, me asking, rather than assuming he's an asshole. I gave him a chance to identify which camp he was in; he chose to make a vague response that seemed to toss it back at me, so I rather more pointedly voiced my potential problem with the situation.

I was 20 when she died, on her 27th birthday. One of my stories I have not shared on the show. Should I? Seems like it wouldn't fit the general tone.

In my experience working as a summer camp counselor at Easter Seals Camp, my opinion that many Down's Syndrome kids were naturally hilarious was confirmed over and over. I had a couple of kids that did the greatest Elvis impression you ever saw (Well it's a 1 for the money.....(dramatic, REALLY dramatic pause, the the arm would whirlwind like Pete Townshend, and ) 2 for the show.))

The older kids we would take to the mall, and of course, they would draw attention, and like any kids, would love the attention. Some would go into their patented routines, like the Elvis impersonation. Lots of lovely people in the crowd would laugh along with the kids good-naturedly, and would talk to them afterwards. The kids LOVED it.

But there was always a little group of fuckwads, standing in the back, laughing and pointing at the "retards". Yep, I heard it more than once.

So, out of context, I was curious to see which perspective Alex P's enjoyment was coming from. His response didn't really clear that up for me, and I am "at an age" where I have quit giving people the benefit of the doubt. I would love to have seen Alex P respond with something in the neighborhood of "That kid is great". Instead I got, "you're the one who called them funny", so, while I bear no ill will against him, I felt it the responsible thing to make it very clear to everyone where I am coming from, in case they considered making "retard" jokes in my presence.

My sister was Down's and severely mentally retarded. People laughing with her added joy to all our lives. People laughing at her was never really good for anyone.

Sorry, Alex P, if my response seemed harsh. Had you been "laughing at the retard", it was not harsh enough.

I, too, have a person with Downs in my family and both my parents are special educators. You are the man, Dave.

Sarah

« Reply #502 on: March 19, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »
One of my stories I have not shared on the show. Should I? Seems like it wouldn't fit the general tone.

I could follow up with a call about my recently dead aunt and the ladies selling daffodils to raise money for a cancer charity who started giggling uncontrollably when I told them that it was her death that prompted my purchase of ten stems yesterday afternoon.

We'd kill, Dave!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
One of my stories I have not shared on the show. Should I? Seems like it wouldn't fit the general tone.

I could follow up with a call about my recently dead aunt and the ladies selling daffodils to raise money for a cancer charity who started giggling uncontrollably when I told them that it was her death that prompted my purchase of ten stems yesterday afternoon.

We'd kill, Dave!

We got to take this act out on the road, Like Lisa Lampanelli and Dino Stampopolous

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #505 on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:16 PM »

Smelodies

« Reply #506 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:48 PM »

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2011, 05:34:06 AM »
I want to not be this way to be a role model to all you idealistic youngsters (you know, not to be so idealistic), but Chuck Norris' World Net Daily column really destroys my enjoyment of the Chuck Norris is the Toughest Man Alive meme.

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Sploops

« Reply #508 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
Spike! Shaved and finally taking that iron rod out of his ass, amirite?
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau