Author Topic: Comedy Death Ray XMAS  (Read 3459 times)

Barry Egan

Comedy Death Ray XMAS
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
Worthy of its own thread, I think: A cavalcade of Best Show Guests and Should-Be-Guests.  (LEGGERO!)

Hilarious and oddly touching, I guess moreso if you're the kind of dude who could name every single person in it despite never having been to a comedy show in New York or L.A.

http://vimeo.com/7590670

But seriously, why wasn't Tom in this thing?
Sick.  I bet he's so in the flesh.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
Re: Comedy Death Ray XMAS
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:48 AM »
Worthy of its own thread, I think: A cavalcade of Best Show Guests and Should-Be-Guests.  (LEGGERO!)

Hilarious and oddly touching, I guess moreso if you're the kind of dude who could name every single person in it despite never having been to a comedy show in New York or L.A.

http://vimeo.com/7590670

But seriously, why wasn't Tom in this thing?
Sick.  I bet he's so in the flesh.

Great idea, lots of funny moments in there (I would love to hear Tig Notaro on our favorite radio show one night,) and Paul F is as mellifluous as ever.

I guess I can't ask this without making someone angry, which is not my intent, but I gotta ask people with a good understanding of what's currently hot in "underground" comedy; does Doug Benson have a second joke? As soon as I saw him, I thought "Gee, I wonder if he's going to do a riff on being a pot-head?", and about 1 second later, he did exactly that. I have heard him say funny things, can someone near and dear to him suggest that the marijuana schtick is sort of played out, and that with the level of awareness he has achieved, it's enough to just be hilarious? It's worse than SNL catch-phrases that would be immortal if you heard them 2 or 3 times, but you "get" to hear them 12 times.

Or is that part of it, and the joke is "run this into the ground forever", and I am just not sharp enough to respond to the brilliant use of meta? As the kids were saying 3-5 years ago (which means I only just heard it this week,) he harshes my mellow.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »
Pot is a well that Benson can and will frequently return too ... he's found a faithful demographic. But he's got other topics. Check out his two albums (you can hear them at Rhapsody), and his "I Love Movies" podcast. Also, he's got a good segment on one the Kevin Pollack Chat Shows.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
Pot is a well that Benson can and will frequently return too ... he's found a faithful demographic. But he's got other topics. Check out his two albums (you can hear them at Rhapsody), and his "I Love Movies" podcast. Also, he's got a good segment on one the Kevin Pollack Chat Shows.

I too would like to say Doug Benson is much more than the "pot comedian". I'll be honest, that is exactly what my wife and I thought he was and we completely dismissed him. I even had an opportunity to see him about a year ago in Seattle when I was there and blew it off for that very reason. Turned out to be a mistake

One night, I couldn't sleep and I decided to watch "Super High Me" late one night on Netflix on demand. Know what? Very funny AND very smart. Then I got his latest album and it is super. Lot's of big laughs. Doug is sharp and observant with great timing and I was bummed I let my ignorant impression of him get in the way of finding that out sooner.

I am stoked he is coming to Eugene this spring. My wife and I will be there this time.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »

I too would like to say Doug Benson is much more than the "pot comedian". I'll be honest, that is exactly what my wife and I thought he was and we completely dismissed him. I even had an opportunity to see him about a year ago in Seattle when I was there and blew it off for that very reason. Turned out to be a mistake

One night, I couldn't sleep and I decided to watch "Super High Me" late one night on Netflix on demand. Know what? Very funny AND very smart. Then I got his latest album and it is super. Lot's of big laughs. Doug is sharp and observant with great timing and I was bummed I let my ignorant impression of him get in the way of finding that out sooner.

I am stoked he is coming to Eugene this spring. My wife and I will be there this time.

I am relieved that he is quite talented, but he's still not going to grab me if there's a sub-Chong stoner joke waiting around each corner. I want to appreciate him, though.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 05:41:39 PM »

I am relieved that he is quite talented, but he's still not going to grab me if there's a sub-Chong stoner joke waiting around each corner. I want to appreciate him, though.

I have little to no patience for potheads or pothead culture or any of that sort of thing and I love Doug Benson. He is definitely not a one-note comic by any means.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »

I have little to no patience for potheads or pothead culture or any of that sort of thing and I love Doug Benson. He is definitely not a one-note comic by any means.

100% agreed. I think he's very funny.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »

100% agreed. I think he's very funny.

Dave, you should definitely check out the I Love Movies podcast. I think it's a nice intro - it's Benson plus 2 or 3 guests, live on stage, discussing movies and riffing. He gets very funny people on there (folks like Patton Oswalt, PFT, Brian Posehn, and others) and it's a very entertaining program.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
I guess moreso if you're the kind of dude who could name every single person in it despite never having been to a comedy show in New York or L.A.

Come on, DC is a great place for comedy. What with all the clowns in Congress.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:05:40 AM »

Come on, DC is a great place for comedy. What with all the clowns in Congress.

HEY-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?