Author Topic: Movies I don't recommend  (Read 14978 times)

Martin

• Space Champion!
Re: Movies I don't recommend
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
Let the Right One In is OK. Just OK.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »

I thought it was especially well-done, especially "that shot" at the pool.  It's about 50 times better than a vampire movie based on a novel named after a Morrissey song has any right to be.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
I've heard good things about the Let the Right One In. I'll put it on my Netflix list and get back to you.

I think it's available to stream, so you don't even have to wait! Instant gratification!

I don't watch movies on my computer and probably never will. What's the point of getting a flat screen if you're going to watch stuff on your computer? Plus, my computer chair isn't all that comfortable.
See God, Kai

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:03 AM »
For most of the running time, I was thinking it was only pretty good, until the "pool shot" made me think I might have been underestimating it.

Chris L, how dumbed-down were the DVD subtitles? You mean compared to the theatrical subtitles or to the original Swedish?

Mike, I think if you get some kind of box from Netflix you can watch streaming movies on your teevee, but I don't really understand the details.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »

I thought it was especially well-done, especially "that shot" at the pool.  It's about 50 times better than a vampire movie based on a novel named after a Morrissey song has any right to be.

Yes, "that shot" is 100% mega-fantastic. Masterpiece stuff. It's probably worth seeing for the cinematography alone.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
Chris L, how dumbed-down were the DVD subtitles? You mean compared to the theatrical subtitles or to the original Swedish?

A blogger compared the US dvd release with the subtitled theatrical release and found that the studio had new subtitles done which very noticeably eliminated or simplified large chunks of dialogue.  It caused enough of an uproar that they released a new dvd w/ the theatrical subtitles but plenty of the old ones are still out there. 

jbissell

• Space Champion!
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »
Mike, I think if you get some kind of box from Netflix you can watch streaming movies on your teevee, but I don't really understand the details.

Quite a few of the bluray players that have wifi have Netflix streaming accessiblity. I use my XBOX for HD streaming and it looks really great (obviously depending on your connection).

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
I've heard good things about the Let the Right One In. I'll put it on my Netflix list and get back to you.

I think it's available to stream, so you don't even have to wait! Instant gratification!

Wonder if it's the version initially released on dvd with the dumbed-down subtitltes?

Also, this movie isn't really "slow" or "arty," at least not by reasonable standards.  

Mike i cant believe you still haven't seen Let The Right One In its pretty great. The version i was sent from Netflix didn't have subtitles it was actual dubbed in voice overs and it was awful really took me out of the movie.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
I didn't mind Funny People. My friends kept telling me it stunk, but I liked it. (spoiler!) I liked how it didn't give sway to some cornball romantic ending. I thought Sandler did an acceptable job. It wasn't perfect, but people like Jonah Hill can make it really hard to hate a movie. Hill is easily the funniest in any Apatow movie.

waltkellysghost

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »
I've heard good things about Let the Right One In. I'll put it on my Netflix list and get back to you.

Let The Right One In is the best vampire movie in many years. My only irk with it is the cat attack scene. It just didn't feel right. The effects in that scene were "not so special" and the movie would have done fine without it.

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
I'm with Martin on this. I thought Let the Right One In was OK. Just OK. With good cinematography. I checked the clock an hour in and couldn't believe I still had another hour to go!
See God, Kai

ben

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:41 AM »
I liked it a lot, but watching it again, the scene where the guys fight and drink in his room and he explains his 'hurt locker' was too obviously exposition.  I prefer a little more subtlety.

I didn't see Year One. I did see The Hurt Locker. I liked it, but thought it got a little repetitive as it went along.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

effecT

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 05:02:02 AM »
I'm with Martin on this. I thought Let the Right One In was OK. Just OK. With good cinematography. I checked the clock an hour in and couldn't believe I still had another hour to go!

yes, i don't really get all the buzz about it...
can someone explain.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 02:40:41 PM »

can someone explain.

I felt like "This is just OK" the first time I watched it, but the second time through I really, really loved it. I can't explain why (though I agree that the afore-mentioned cat attack scene is a misstep). I too liked the pool scene at the end quite a lot. If you look at the Filmspotting message board, there are plenty of people claiming that the scene ruins the movie.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »

can someone explain.

I felt like "This is just OK" the first time I watched it, but the second time through I really, really loved it. I can't explain why (though I agree that the afore-mentioned cat attack scene is a misstep). I too liked the pool scene at the end quite a lot. If you look at the Filmspotting message board, there are plenty of people claiming that the scene ruins the movie.

Wasnt the cat all stuffed looking?