Author Topic: Treme  (Read 33437 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Treme
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
Good 2nd episode.  Gotta agree with Mike about the show's self-righteousness but damn if Simon & co. don't cast the perfect actors to put it all across.  Loved the gratuitous but completely satisfying dissing of cultural studies and Harry Fucking Potter -- who else currently on tv other than Bill Maher is caustic enough to take shots like that?

Plus, a "Slim Charles" cameo. What was that old lady thinking, not claiming him as her son?  There's your next series!  

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 12:48:32 AM »
Good 2nd episode.  Gotta agree with Mike about the show's self-righteousness but damn if Simon & co. don't cast the perfect actors to put it all across.  Loved the gratuitous but completely satisfying dissing of cultural studies and Harry Fucking Potter -- who else currently on tv other than Bill Maher is caustic enough to take shots like that?

Plus, a "Slim Charles" cameo. What was that old lady thinking, not claiming him as her son?  There's your next series!  

Don't forget the Uncle Ted cameo at the beginning.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:50:26 AM »
I'm disappointed this thread is not called "TremeTremeTremeTreme".

Why would it?

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
I'm still watching. Sometimes Simon goes overboard cramming local details into the dialogue to show that he's done his research, though. My eyes just glaze over during those moments. It's like the mumbo jumbo in Star Trek. I have a feeling that by the time I'm done watching this series, I'm going to know every route possible to avoid traffic in New Orleans. I was also a little put off by the smug street musicians too good for the tourists.
See God, Kai

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I was also a little put off by the smug street musicians too good for the tourists.

Yes, those annoying people coming down to a decimated city to spend their money.

Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »

Why would it?

Because at the height of The Wire's popularity, when the FOT board was so entrenched in discussions about The Best TV Show Ever in the World that a The Wire sub-section of the forum was created, the mantra "TheWireTheWireTheWireTheWire" was used quite frequently (thread titles, etc).

TacoSmith

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »
I think you were supposed to be put off by that guy's smugness. At least I hope so, because I wanted to punch that guy in the mouth.
"Straight-up, helicopters are beyond fresh."

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
I think you were supposed to be put off by that guy's smugness. At least I hope so, because I wanted to punch that guy in the mouth.

In a later scene it was also implied he was full of shit about rescuing people during the flood.  Those tourists should have asked, "and where are you from, originally?  The movie ONCE?"

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
Oh, yeah, I got that he was a jerk. I guess I was objecting to the fact that another storyline was being devoted to another jerk.
See God, Kai

KickTheBobo

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »

Why would it?

Because at the height of The Wire's popularity, when the FOT board was so entrenched in discussions about The Best TV Show Ever in the World that a The Wire sub-section of the forum was created, the mantra "TheWireTheWireTheWireTheWire" was used quite frequently (thread titles, etc).

somewhere, deep in the Best Show archives, is a moment when Tom is talking about one of the countless friends/colleagues telling him that he HAS to watch the show. He starts going off about his annoyance with "TheWire!TheWire!TheWire!".

hence, the sub-sub-TBSOFMU meme.

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, I got that he was a jerk. I guess I was objecting to the fact that another storyline was being devoted to another jerk.

I wouldn't have taken you for a "not enough likable characters" kinda guy, Mike.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
somewhere, deep in the Best Show archives, is a moment when Tom is talking about one of the countless friends/colleagues telling him that he HAS to watch the show. He starts going off about his annoyance with "TheWire!TheWire!TheWire!".

I remember that call.  From what I recall, he was talking to a real drip at the time. 

B_Buster

• Tattoo Addict!
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »

I wouldn't have taken you for a "not enough likable characters" kinda guy, Mike.

I'm not. But if you're going to give us a jerk at least make him an interesting jerk.
See God, Kai

Barry Egan

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »
Anyone else remember Phyllis Montana LeBlanc, who plays Antoine's girlfriend, from Spike Lee's When the Levees Broke?

She's also written a book about her Katrina experience, and will no doubt appear in Spike Lee's upcoming sequel, which I read will focus in part on the making of Treme.  

This thread's gonna get pretty long!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY3kzrWL2Sw[/youtube]

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »

I remember that call.  From what I recall, he was talking to a real drip at the time. 

Ooooh you watch your back, L....
from the land of pleasant living