Author Topic: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)  (Read 13533 times)

Chris L

• Space Champion!
Re: Top Chef D.C. (Season 7)
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »

I've been trying to place who this guy reminds me of.  Feels like someone shitty from the news.  He might also be Pete Campbell from Mad Men's no-good grandson.

NJL

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 01:47:35 PM »

thom

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 08:25:38 PM »
Don't bitch to the Hitch; you're just cutting your switch.

Kim Kelly

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
Ha, I just came across this article by Toby Young in the Guardian.  I had no idea I didn't like him as a judge because he's British, not because his insights were nonexistent and his labored jokes painful.

Read the comments section.  He has a nice tussle with Jay Rayner.

I'm saying this before I read the article and comments section: I like Jay Rayner.

Edit: I like him even more now.
Too soon?

ben

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 01:59:55 AM »
There are moments where Young and Rayner both come across as arrogant, unlikeable jerks.  Jay Rayner has a smile on his face at times though, and seems far less one dimensional and unpleasant.  I've definitely warmed to him, though he has laboured jokes as well. 

Who is most respected, Young, Rayner, or Gael Greene?  I'm assuming Gael Greene because she is old and wears silly hats.  But she comes across as a lovely indivual - then again she has not been on the regular Top Chef, has she?  Maybe as a guest judge once in a while?

Ha, I just came across this article by Toby Young in the Guardian.  I had no idea I didn't like him as a judge because he's British, not because his insights were nonexistent and his labored jokes painful.

Read the comments section.  He has a nice tussle with Jay Rayner.

I'm saying this before I read the article and comments section: I like Jay Rayner.

Edit: I like him even more now.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

Sarah

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:26 AM »
Rayner's jokes are not as labored, and, more important, they do not take as long to tell.  Toby Young always reminded me of the kind of bore who deliberately draws out his every utterance in order to keep the attention on himself as long as possible.

ben

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:28 AM »
James Oseland really came off poorly tonight.  Insufferable even.
Sounds like someone was working as a conduit for nature's natural vengeance.  Just like Jesus.  And some of the others.

redmedicine

• Policemans heel
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
James Oseland really came off poorly tonight.  Insufferable even.

It was the highlight of the season watching James striving and failing to relate to the "Tailgaters".  The scene where he tries to stir up the crowd was pure comedy gold.  I wonder how many hours it took him to dress down appropriately for the challenge.  I enjoy Masters a lot more this season, it seems the judges and Kelly are less stiff.

Sarah

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 12:50:56 PM »
Where should I watch Top Chef online?  Bravo only allows certain shows to air on Hulu, and I don't know if this will be one of them.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
You might have to download it (as I do).

Sarah

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
I figured you'd have the answer to this, Martin.  I will happily break the law for the cause.

senorcorazon

• Space Champion!
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
Why are there only 9 people (cheftestants, ugh) on the subway/bus ads?

Sarah

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
Notes upon my first viewing:

QUICKFIRE

* This is a pretty old bunch of contestants.
* Padma's heels during the Quickfire were ridiculous.
* Kenny was pretty speedy, although his arrogance makes me want to punch him in the face.
* Angelo is an ass, too, but I'm still glad he beat Kenny.

ELIMINATION
* When Kenny selected "the young lady at the end," my desire to punch him increased.
* Later, however, I wished to punch said young lady (Tracy) for her ridiculous snootiness about Ohio Boy (Stephen).
* As soon as this round started, I thought, "Old hippy John should go home; this is just going to make him cry."  Later, sure enough, he did both.
* The statement "A little bit risky but also a safe bet" made me shake my head.
* Timothy Dean said, "Are you joking me?"  The first time I ever heard that construction was when Julie said it to Tom during a call. 
* The fifty-one-year-old said she was from the Culinary Institute of America.  That's even worse than when someone says, "My name is Dr. So-and-so."
* How does one deconstruct char?  I mean, short of boning it?  Or, I guess, dissolving it in acid.
* Speaking of which, Gail's obsession with acid continues.
* We're going to get to see Mike I. again.  Ain't that grand?
* Based on this first episode, my favorite is Alex.  Could be because I want the arrogant Americans to be whupped by a Russian.

There.  Not terribly insightful (and strangely obsessed with language).

Sarah

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
Oh, one more thing:  lots more bosoms for the boys this season, now that Padma is all postbaby voluptuous.  Hubba hubba, right?

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
As usual, I agree 100% with Sarah's recap.  My pick for the winner (Ohio Boy) needs to step it up.

Alex was also my fave; while Angelo is indeed an Ash Ole, I don't mind that trait on Top Chef as long as it is backed up with culinary skillz.

Tracy seems like the worst (other than, I guess, Hippy Dessert Boy, who obviously will never get a chance to redeem himself).  An Atlanta chef who can't make shrimp and grits?  Disturbing to say the least.
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies