Author Topic: Ted Leo - First Call?  (Read 3071 times)

Omar

• A Recapper/A True Star.
  • Space Champion!
Ted Leo - First Call?
« on: June 20, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
Does anyone know the date of the show in which activist songwriter Ted Leo first called?  He seemed to become a major presence on the show in January 2006 when he battled MC Steinberg, but I'm pretty sure he was calling before that.

Thanks!
"Let's have a device-a-thon, just you and me." -- Montgomery Davies

moonshake

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Ted Leo - First Call?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
The first mention of TL in my notes is on Jan 10, 2006. For reasons I can't recall anymore, I'm missing notes from Nov. and Dec. of 2005- I have notes from all the other months in that year but he's not in any of them. What I'm saying is, I'm not 100% sure about that date but you're in the ballpark!
"You want me to recognize you and I won't. I won't acknowledge you! I deny you. So you keep begging and begging. The door is slammed on you. I want nothing to do with you. You will die unrecognized by me."
-Tom Scharpling

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:33:41 AM »
I recently relistened to archives from 07-08 and Ted goes from Ted from Bloomfield(right city?) to Ted to Ted Leo to Rock Star Ted Leo. I assume it's near one of his first calls in 07 because Tom says, "Wait, I know this Ted." He tells that great story about him in a mascot suit having to bite down on the fabric to see through the eyes.

Sarah

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »
All I can tell you is he registered on the old board on December 20, 2005.

Bryan

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 09:41:35 AM »
I don't know the answer to this question, but I recently listened to that Jan 17 2006 show, with the Ted Leo in-studio appearance, and it is aMAZING! Total classic.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Thanks for the input -- unless any additional evidence surfaces, I will flag 1/10/06 as TL's first call.  

Paul -- the Sugar Bear suit story is indeed a classic and was already slated to appear in the thing that relates to my question in this thread.  And let's not be as vague as "fabric" -- it was a disgusting Nerf tongue!

Steeley Chris

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:28:44 PM »
You could ask him. Right?
"Dad gets mad."

Tedstud

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks for the input -- unless any additional evidence surfaces, I will flag 1/10/06 as TL's first call.  

Hey Omar,

Ted calls very briefly on November 29, 2005 for the topic a classic topic, "the Unfunniest Funny People."  At about 2:50:00 in the show Ted suggests Margaret Cho should be on the list.  I know this because Ted blogged about the call on his website causing me to listen to the Best Show for the first time.  Thank you Ted Leo!  

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »

Hey Omar,

Ted calls very briefly on November 29, 2005 for the topic a classic topic, "the Unfunniest Funny People."  At about 2:50:00 in the show Ted suggests Margaret Cho should be on the list.  I know this because Ted blogged about the call on his website causing me to listen to the Best Show for the first time.  Thank you Ted Leo!  

Thanks!  I forgot about that one -- that was one of the first shows I recapped, although at that time I considered them more of a Best Show-related blog post.  That show also has the classic Mac/Jimmy Crespo exchange, which I hope to document in full sometime in the next decade.

Tedstud

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »

Thanks!  I forgot about that one -- that was one of the first shows I recapped, although at that time I considered them more of a Best Show-related blog post.  That show also has the classic Mac/Jimmy Crespo exchange, which I hope to document in full sometime in the next decade.

Yeah, that Mac / Jimmy Crespo exchange is great.  I've re-listened to it three or four times.  Rock in a Hard Place baby!

Paul DePhiladelphia

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »

Hey Omar,

Is there a possibility that calls like the Mac/Crespo call would ever be included in some kind of FOT archival youtube page. Clips of good stuff would def come in handy for introducing new people to the show.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Are you not aware of Best Show Gems, son?

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/BD

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 12:54:19 AM »
when i was a super newbie (as opposed to being just a regular newbie) i thought that the angry Mr. Bungle fan was Ted Leo. I was kind of disappointed when I figured out it wasn't.
I can hear you judging me.

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
He definitely, definitely calls in at some point all the way back in 2002-- I remember this because he mentions the ongoing World Cup at one point and says that he has "World Cup Fever" or something along those lines.  I think he just introduces himself as "Ted" and Tom doesn't seem to know him or realize that it's anyone semi-famous.  If someone actually wants to trudge through all the episodes during the stretch when the '02 World Cup took place, they'll find the call eventually.

Omar

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
He definitely, definitely calls in at some point all the way back in 2002-- I remember this because he mentions the ongoing World Cup at one point and says that he has "World Cup Fever" or something along those lines.  I think he just introduces himself as "Ted" and Tom doesn't seem to know him or realize that it's anyone semi-famous.  If someone actually wants to trudge through all the episodes during the stretch when the '02 World Cup took place, they'll find the call eventually.

Interesting.  I know of his 2006 call in which he discussed soccer/World Cup, but was unaware of his '02 appearance.