Author Topic: Wurster calls that fool the listeners  (Read 12628 times)

Big Plastic Head

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: Wurster calls that fool the listeners
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:40 AM »
One of my favorites - a guy (NY accent but lives in S Carolina) calls in during a conversation between Tom and Pudge. The man was just flipping the dial and landed on WFMU and called in to say how dumb the other callers seemed to be. Pudge agrees even though he is clearly who the man was complaining about. Tom and Pudge rope-a-dope the guy for about 10 more minutes until he hangs up exasperated. Ring any bells?

This was one of the three (3!) Best Shows I listened to on our 11 hour drive today and my wife and I were cracking up at this bit. He said that the show was "for idiots". 2006 seems late in the game for someone to be fooled so deeply. It was great.

And the Pudge calls? SO good.
Congratulations. You are now a mouse cursor inside a graphics program that the client can control by speaking, emailing and instant messaging.

bakersfieldchimp

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
It didn't really trick me, per se, but I love the fake Ed Francis book they reference on one of the calls from around the time I started listening: The Horse That Went Away to the Other Side. I'm not the only one, apparently, because someone went so far as to create a GoodReads page for it.

Guy Whitey Corngood

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »
If you go back and listen to Philly Boy Roy's first call, or even his second and third, there appears to be folks who took that seriously too. I also enjoy Philly Boy's early appearances because they are like Season 1 Simpsons episodes where Homer still sounded like a poor man's Walter Matthau. Philly Boy Roy gradually evolved into the more high pitched and adorable tenor we know and love today. If there was  a Philly Boy Roy plush toy with a string to pull that played catch phrases, oh man...I'd but the s-HIT out of it!
Wait Whaaaaaaa[Phone Buttons being pressed]aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt?!

greasers_palace

• Policemans heel
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
There's listener interaction in a lot of the early calls but they stopped after a while as more people caught on.

My favorite might be when that Adrian woman was on with the character who was bitter about Tom snaking that last slice of pizza in high school.

Can anyone point me to the archive of this episode? I've been dying to hear it again.

Rick in Salt Lake

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
There's listener interaction in a lot of the early calls but they stopped after a while as more people caught on.

My favorite might be when that Adrian woman was on with the character who was bitter about Tom snaking that last slice of pizza in high school.

Can anyone point me to the archive of this episode? I've been dying to hear it again.

The best I could do is tell you to check out the show archive. But you probably already considered that...
"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now. Only much, much better."

"This heaven gives me migraine."

mrCoffea

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »
I've never met or heard a Canadian who didn't say where they're from without giving both the province and their country. It's kind of adorable.

that's just a western Canada inferiority complex thing

I just say Montreal because no one needs to be reminded where Montreal is. Also, you rarely hear someone say "Toronto Ontario"

But everyone from the West has to say "Vancouver British Columbia" or "Edmonton Alberta"......

mackro

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
I can't speak in defense of "Edmonton Alberta", but there is a Vancouver in the U.S. which is a suburb of Portland, OR just north of the WA state border.  This is why the signs on I-5 north in Washington state have to say "Vancouver B.C." and not "Vancouver". I'm guessing Nardwuar expanded it out to province and eventually country, partly because of Vancouver, Washington state, United States Of America.

Ojingeo

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 12:20:49 AM »
I've mentioned before that I was totally convinced that Marky Ramone was calling the show. This was the first time I had heard the show--around the time of the mayorganubatorial madness.

I have a friend I've recently converted to the best show. I don't think he's on these forums...so I can safely say that I spent two conversations, about five-minutes a piece--trying to convince him that Spike was not a fake caller. And I'm not sure I have convinced him!
I can hear you judging me.

HaroldBlvd

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 12:24:48 AM »
When I first started listening I wasn't sure if those calls were real or not. When I Googled Newbridge I caught on. I also thought the Marky Ramone call was real on first listen.

bonnaventure

• Policemans heel
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »
I was really confused why Tom wasn't hanging up on the weirdo making intense references.

I'm 90% sure that was really Naurdwar!

VealCutlet

• Policemans heel
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
I'm 90% sure that was really Naurdwar!

At the time, I was convinced it was a purely brilliant JW call.  Until he referred to JW as Tom's "co-host."
That's just the tip of the ice cube.

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
I have a desk job and they let me listen to the radio so I have been downloading archives and putting them on a jump drive. I am back in 01 right now and nearly everyone is falling for the Wurster calls. I think the last time I went through these was in 08. I liked the original Ye Olde Burger Barn one and the follow up. This lady totally chewed him out. I also like when the callers play along. The improvisation on both ends is awesome.

Athrogate

• Policemans heel
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
The character that got me was Gene Simmons. I totally did NOT think it was Wurster. I want to say I was 39% sure it may indeed have been the real God of Thunder.

Patton got me good with Travis Edgekin, too. I totally believed it was a real dude, and if he didn't call out to his roommate Ryan I never would have known.
If honesty changed the hearts of men, who could contend? If all I thought were true, in this great divide that is my life, I fear to think of all that I'd undo, if all i thought were true.

Mr. Spacely

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2010, 02:18:33 AM »
The improvisation on both ends is awesome.

Oh, man, there are a couple callers during the Tony Torgvort "Mr. Loophole" call that are almost as funny as Wurster.  The guy who says he's found a loophole that lets him ride in the Space Shuttle for free is hysterical.
If I tried, I could probably make at least six figures for shaking my moneymaker.

I'm on Twitter @asmuniz

Paul DeLouisiana

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
The improvisation on both ends is awesome.

Oh, man, there are a couple callers during the Tony Torgvort "Mr. Loophole" call that are almost as funny as Wurster.  The guy who says he's found a loophole that lets him ride in the Space Shuttle for free is hysterical.

Wanna know a loophole that lets you know exactly which callers Spacely is referring to, their social security numbers and access to their wives whenever you want?...............

...........Ya gotta read the book!