Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 950062 times)

jbissell

• Space Champion!
Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #660 on: May 24, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »
I am reading The Road right now as a matter of fact. Haven't gotten very far yet, though.

Someone just checked this out at the library! : "How the Japs Fight"
I can't find it anywhere online, otherwise I'd post a pic of the cover.

This is the back cover

and the front is Mr. Fuji throwing salt in someone's eyes.

DoodleJump!

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #661 on: May 24, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »
....how did you know?
"Enough with the bandana, already." -Trace Atkins to Donald Trump

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #662 on: May 24, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »
Shit, I loved The Road so much.  I love it's simplicity.

Agreed. Although very different, I have not seen stripped down prose like that since James Ellroy's "White Jazz."

I openly wept at the end.

I'm reading a book about clouds.  It's called The Book of Clouds.  Mammatus clouds rule!

Those are amazing! I am trying to write a book right now, and I think "mammatus clouds" just made it in. Thank you!
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #663 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57:14 PM »

Agreed. Although very different, I have not seen stripped down prose like that since James Ellroy's "White Jazz."

"I'VE GOT THE FLAME IN ME."

What an incredible line.  When I read that, I imagined Tom screaming it to motivate himself after a series of bad calls.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #664 on: May 25, 2009, 01:04:52 AM »

"I'VE GOT THE FLAME IN ME."

What an incredible line.  When I read that, I imagined Tom screaming it to motivate himself after a series of bad calls.

Considered reading it around the time it came out but when i saw the trailer for the film i got excited and went out and bought it.

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #665 on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
Considered reading it around the time it came out but when i saw the trailer for the film i got excited and went out and bought it.

Oh man, will you be disappointed.

I'm about to start on Blood Meridian, as soon as it comes in the mail. I'm reading it for the AV Club's new book club, Wrapped Up In Books. The last - and first - selection was Katherine Dunn's Geek Love, which was a pretty fun read but somewhat frustrating on a narrative level. Too many plots points not given proper impact and the like. I'd recommend it, though.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

wood and iron

« Reply #666 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »

I'm about to start on Blood Meridian, as soon as it comes in the mail. I'm reading it for the AV Club's new book club, Wrapped Up In Books. The last - and first - selection was Katherine Dunn's Geek Love, which was a pretty fun read but somewhat frustrating on a narrative level. Too many plots points not given proper impact and the like. I'd recommend it, though.

I also frequent The AV Club and am looking forward to their Book Club take on Blood Meridian.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »

What by the film?

wood and iron

« Reply #668 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »

What by the film?

I think he means that the trailer for the movie has a lot more action than was present in the book.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #669 on: May 25, 2009, 05:51:40 PM »

What by the film?

I think he means that the trailer for the movie has a lot more action than was present in the book.

Oh yeah i figured that much from the things ive heard. Im not into action films anyway.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #670 on: May 25, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »

I also frequent The AV Club and am looking forward to their Book Club take on Blood Meridian.

In his book 'How To Read and Why' (much better and more sophisticated than the title might suggest) Harold Bloom has a wonderful essay on this book, which he places on par with Moby Dick. After I finished the novel I was blown away by the control of language and imagery, but shocked and upset as well, and confused over what, exactly, McCarthy was attempting to do; Bloom's essay really helped me grasp what I'd just gone through.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2009, 11:39:41 PM »
Just finished Marilynne Robinson's Home, a mostly worthy sequel to Gilead, one of the most serenly beautiful books of recent years.

I may put off The Brothers Karamazov for the umpteenth time to catch up on some classic crime fiction, of which I've read unaccountably  little beyond Chandler.  Recommendations welcome.    I watched THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE last week and the dialogue was so sharp it made we want to check out the book, which doesn't often happen for me after watching a film adaptation first. 

wood and iron

« Reply #672 on: May 31, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »
I may put off The Brothers Karamazov for the umpteenth time to catch up on some classic crime fiction, of which I've read unaccountably  little beyond Chandler.  Recommendations welcome.

I really enjoyed Hammett's Red Harvest and The Maltese Falcon. Also, if you want something super breezy but also super fun, check out any of the Fletch books by Gregory MacDonald. Yup, the movies were based on them. Sort of.

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #673 on: June 01, 2009, 12:37:18 AM »
Just read The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever.  Very, very good.  Starting Creation, Gore Vidal.

A.M. Thomas

« Reply #674 on: June 01, 2009, 02:35:01 AM »
Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the number of 'must-read' classics out there.  There's just not enough time in life.

I'm starting The Savage Detectives tonight.  Exciting.

I'm not a chicken,  you're a turkey.