Author Topic: Fave Books / Currently Reading  (Read 947151 times)

jake8jazz

Re: Fave Books / Currently Reading
« Reply #540 on: October 09, 2008, 11:51:28 AM »
Just finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - very good read!

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #541 on: October 09, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »
I'm reading my favorite author, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio.

Why?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #542 on: October 09, 2008, 12:48:16 PM »
I'm reading my favorite author, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio.

Why?

Yes, what I love most about his work is how un-isolated and non-insular it is.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #543 on: October 09, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »
Nobel Prize judges looooove him.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #544 on: December 15, 2008, 11:36:30 PM »
Just started Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy by Stephen Duncombe.  The author thanks Jason Grote in the acknowledgments, so his every word is suspect.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #545 on: December 19, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »
Just started Dream: Re-imagining Progressive Politics in an Age of Fantasy by Stephen Duncombe.  The author thanks Jason Grote in the acknowledgments, so his every word is suspect.

Hey, that's my buddy.  I love that book.  Sometimes it seems like it doesn't know whether it wants to be an 05/06-type "what progressives should do now" book in the mold of What's The Matter with Kansas or Don't Think of an Elephant and more of an academic theoretical text, but I pretty much agree 100% with the ideas in there, and I appreciate that he keeps the ideas accessible to the average reader.  Not everybody feels up for reading Žižek 100% of the time.

For me: just started Roberto Bolaño's The Savage Detectives and am totally digging it.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

samir

• Space Champion!
« Reply #546 on: December 19, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »
I'm reading 'I Have Fun Everywhere I Go' by Mike Edison, which I think I first heard about in this very thread. There are some nice stories (define nice) about our old pal Kevin Allin.
"Son, there's a thin line between crazed and rabid"

Matt

• Space Champion!
« Reply #547 on: December 19, 2008, 08:16:28 PM »
For me: just started Roberto Bolaño's The Savage Detectives and am totally digging it.

I started this a couple nights ago; it is pretty awesome. The section where Garcia Madero wonders through the Fonts' house in the dark and eats all their food is AMAZING.

Gets a little smutty from there on, but in a good way.
It ain't ego, it's my love for you.

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #548 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

I started this a couple nights ago; it is pretty awesome. The section where Garcia Madero wonders through the Fonts' house in the dark and eats all their food is AMAZING.

Gets a little smutty from there on, but in a good way.

Yes!  I just read that same passage.  This is like an accidental book club! 

That belongs on a "move titles I don't want to see" thread: "The Accidental Book Club."
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

theaidan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #549 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Currently reading J.G. Farrell's The Singapore Grip.

The whole Empire Trilogy (Troubles, Siege of Krishnapur) is an amazing piece of work. 

Pete from oz

• Policemans heel
« Reply #550 on: December 20, 2008, 03:49:42 AM »
I'm reading The Lucifer Effect by Phillip Zimbardo which has been pretty interesting.  I'm also reading a bunch of comics as well - just finishing up with Stuck Rubber Baby, which took a long while to get going but had a really strong ending. 

Scot

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #551 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »
I'm reading "Invitation to a Beheading (Nabokov), Jimmy McDonough's biography of Neil Young, and "George, Being George."

The Nabokov is part of a larger thing - I'm trying to read through his stuff in more or less chronological order.

Ignore Function

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #552 on: December 20, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

Hey, that's my buddy.  I love that book.  Sometimes it seems like it doesn't know whether it wants to be an 05/06-type "what progressives should do now" book in the mold of What's The Matter with Kansas or Don't Think of an Elephant and more of an academic theoretical text, but I pretty much agree 100% with the ideas in there, and I appreciate that he keeps the ideas accessible to the average reader.  Not everybody feels up for reading Žižek 100% of the time.

Just finished it. I'm persuaded.  I have reservations about some of the people and organizations mentioned, but not his use of their example. 

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #553 on: December 20, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #554 on: December 20, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »

Just finished it. I'm persuaded.  I have reservations about some of the people and organizations mentioned, but not his use of their example. 

Mind if I ask who and why?  I'm just curious -- totally fine if you don't feel like sharing.