Author Topic: Saturn Scene Podcast w/ Jon Wurster!  (Read 5110 times)

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Saturn Scene Podcast w/ Jon Wurster!
« on: January 28, 2011, 11:03:07 PM »
http://saturnscene.com/category/podcast/

"Host Brian Palmer uses the astrological chart of guests as a jumping off point to discuss their life and career."  Five episodes so far, with Jen Kirkman, Paul F. Tompkins (does a 2-parter!), Michael Cera and Jamie Denbo.

I'd assume some FOT would be interested, based on the guests.  If you're like me, you have to listen to these now (but you don't have time).  Only got through Part 1 of the PFT episode so far, but it seems interesting... maybe a bit dry at times.  I've been too busy (making hilariously photoshopped pictures that no one acknowledges) to listen to all of them.

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Saturn Scene Podcast w/ Paul F. Tompkins, Jen Kirkman
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:52:23 AM »
I just finished listening to the second PFT ep. It's a lot of fun but not very joke-heavy if that's what one is looking for. More of a 'who is the REAL Paul F Tompkins?' kind of thing.

The astrology angle really bugged me at first and I almost switched off a few minutes in, but the host is very unassuming and rather likable so I was gradually won over. He also seems not to mind that every time he says 'well that's probably because cancer is in your fourth house' or whatever, Paul sort of ignores him or finds a way to talk around the woo woo stuff.

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
I'm a fan of Brain Palmer's work (the host), so I will check this out soon!

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:38:05 PM »
Oh, what do you know him from?  Er, from what do you know him?  All I could see was that he does astrological consultations, sometimes for famous people.  Is he the same as the journalist/photographer Brian Palmer?

Keith Whitener

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:41:15 PM »
That's the one!

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
Weird, that guy doesn't look like how he sounds.  Also, I guess I don't usually equate astrology enthusiasts with... someone to be taken seriously.

geneparmesan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »
Hey, I'm pleased to see people are enjoying the podcast.  I should say that this is me: http://brianmpalmer.com/
Not the photographer who shoots for CNN, etc.  Also not the Brian Palmer of brianpalmer.com who is a real estate agent with the tagline "Everything He Touches Turns to Sold."

Also, I'm totally fine with Paul and other people not believing, or buying into it.  I'm not trying to persuade anyone.  I'm simply using it as an angle to look at the person's life, and I think with the format it allows the guests to really open up.  I'd argue that the interview with Paul is one of the most in-depth he's ever done.  More to come in the future, including with FOT Julie Klausner. 

Oh, and here's an itunes link if that's your thing: http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/saturn-scene/id408503665 

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
Hi Brian!  Hope my explanation did your podcast justice.  The episodes with Paul and Jen were really good (and I plan to listen to the others soon).  The astrology angle works surprisingly well as a background for interesting in-depth discussions with people about their lives and personalities.  It's also exciting to learn that you're a Best Show fan!

Denim Gremlin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »
I really like this podcast alot.

I can't say I'm really into astrology, I'd say I'm pretty much on par with how Jen Kirkman described herself. kinda of don't believe or not believe anything. I like the idea of believing in the supernatural in spite of understanding the skeptic side. it's fun.

also, I'm also a Virgo like Jen and Paul so it was interesting hearing about what a Virgo's supposed to be. I haven't listened to the others yet so I don't know if i'll be as interested when talking about another sign.

I like that you started with comedians too, I think there tends to be this sort of elitist "everything is stupid, you're an idiot if you believe in anything supernatural, etc." kinda attitude in the comedy world, so it's nice to see those two worlds blended.
I was the first guy in hardcore to whip people with his belt.

geneparmesan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
Hi Brian!  Hope my explanation did your podcast justice.  The episodes with Paul and Jen were really good (and I plan to listen to the others soon).  The astrology angle works surprisingly well as a background for interesting in-depth discussions with people about their lives and personalities.  It's also exciting to learn that you're a Best Show fan!

You did a great job fish.  Though I haven't posted much on here, I've been a Best Show fan for years.  In fact, I even called in a couple years back and threw Henry Owings under the bus for his poor phone manners. 

Also, the Jen and Paul episodes have way more astrology in them than any others.  When I recorded those I was still working out the format of the interview.  The most recent episode with Jamie Denbo is probably the guide I'll follow.  I think I bring up like five or six different things, and the rest of the conversation is about how that plays out in Jamie's life.  We also spend a good amount of time discussing women in comedy (including how unfunny Hate Pit Denizen Olivia Munn is), Mad Men actors, and other topics I think Best Show fans would like. 

crumbum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
I guess it's too late to edit my first post so I don't seem so rude.

In any case Brian, I really enjoyed the Michael Cera episode. Just caught up with it yesterday. Call me hooked.

geneparmesan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
I guess it's too late to edit my first post so I don't seem so rude.

In any case Brian, I really enjoyed the Michael Cera episode. Just caught up with it yesterday. Call me hooked.

Don't worry about it.  The main thing I took out of it was "unassuming" and "rather likable."  Glad you enjoyed the Cera episode. 

fish

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Re: Saturn Scene Podcast w/ Many FOT Guests, Including...
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »
Just heard the new episode, which was hinted at in another thread.  There's no writeup for it yet but... you should look.

geneparmesan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
Actually that's not supposed to be there yet.  For some reason podbean went ahead and posted it briefly, then went promptly offline and I've been unable to correct that.  A proper post and writeup and promotion for that coming on Wednesday. 

geneparmesan

• Policemans heel
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
The episode with Wurster is now officially up!  You can find it here: http://saturnscene.com/2011/03/podcast-episode-7-jon-wurster/
Best Show specific talk comes in at 19:53, but I think the whole interview is worthwhile.  Jon and I discuss coincidence, sobriety, the genesis of Philly Boy Roy, and many other things.

Fish, can you edit the title of this thread to include Jon's name?