Author Topic: New Mountain Goats on NPR  (Read 1642 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
New Mountain Goats on NPR
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
Something familiar about the tall guy.

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/27/134056034/first-listen-the-mountain-goats-all-eternals-deck

My God, there are always a couple of songs that make you wonder why anyone else tries writing songs anymore.

Mine are "High Hawk Season" and "Beautiful Gas Mask" from this record.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Re: New Mountain Goats on NPR
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Just gave my first listen to this one so not sure what the songs are that will blow me away in the long run.  But from their past albums, "Pale Green Things" is the one for me that crushes everything else and always leaves me either holding back tears or crying outright.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

Lothar_Brightblade

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:04 PM »
Just gave my first listen to this one so not sure what the songs are that will blow me away in the long run.  But from their past albums, "Pale Green Things" is the one for me that crushes everything else and always leaves me either holding back tears or crying outright.

The two I have been blown away by are the first song, "Damn These Vampires" and the tenth "Outer Scorpion Squadron." The latter is sort of atypical of TMG, but a nice demonstation of John's talent and depth.

I managed to get this through other means about a week ago (I fully intend to buy this on vinyl when it comes out) and have listened to it a dozen time or so and I think there are a couple of musical callbacks to some of TMG's albums of the last decade. I also have noticed an some chords and phrases that are used on a few different songs just on this album... Just some interesting minutiae.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
It was nice of John Darnielle to offer a tribute to Zachary Brimstead with the barbershop quartet part of the song "High Hawk Season."

I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!