Author Topic: Hate Pit Nominee  (Read 11984 times)

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
Hate Pit Nominee
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
Couldn't listen to last night's show, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but could I nominate Gilbert Godfried for a lifetime in the hatepit without parole?

Pidgeon

Re: Hate Pit Nominee
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
How long are the rest in the Hate Pit serving for?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »
They are detained at Tom's pleasure.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

CaptKarl

• Policemans heel
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »
In keeping with Tom's cruise story last night, I think Tucker Max would make an excellent Hate Pit inductee. I Heard They Serve Beer in Pails or whatever, BOO and HISS.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
At Tom's pleasure, I would love to see him detained for a very long time.

Pidgeon

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
Now I've got Gottfried chanting "McDonalds if we're good, Arby's if we're bad" stuck in my head.

Senator Gothman (D-OR)

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
I still think Roger Moore should not have been set free.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »
In keeping with Tom's cruise story last night, I think Tucker Max would make an excellent Hate Pit inductee. I Heard They Serve Beer in Pails or whatever, BOO and HISS.

Not a very nice fellow, nor much of a contributor to the re-rising of Western Civilization.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Slide over gentlemen, and make room for Ben Weasel.

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
I didn't know who Ben Weasel was, so I googled the name. The Wikipedia blurb that came up said:

Ben Weasel (born Benjamin Foster) is a punk rock musician, best known as the lead singer and guitarist of bands Screeching Weasel and The Riverdales, and hitting women.

...though that's not how the actual Wikipedia entry read.  I don't know how that stuff works.
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
I was at the Screeching Weasel show last night, and I spoke to him at the airport today for a bit.

He overreacted but it wasn't just from heckling or something.  He flipped out after the girl spat her drink in his face (after she had already thrown beer--a lot of it--and icecubes at him).  He's losing money because of the cancelled dates but is making it up to the other bands, crew, etc, out of pocket.

I wouldn't trust anything coming from the management of the place, as they wanted him off stage long before any shit went down (since he kept talking about how dirty the green room was, how they were ripping off the bands and the audience, etc).  The girl left the show but the management called the cops.

Jim DeRogtis's take on what happened is pretty good.

Screeching Weasel was my favorite band when I was 14 and I still think they're good.  I missed the WFMU showcase AND the Goner party because I went there, and I didn't like the opening acts.

It is odd, the different attitude different bands have towards beer-throwing.  I saw a Personal & the Pizzas show where their shit shorted out from all the beer, so they just stopped playing.  I also think they were too drunk to continue.  Also I've seen plenty of obnoxious Gallagher-style bands that made me almost throw up from all the disgusting shit they spat at the crowd.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
The same Jim Dergoatis who did the totally unfair, unreasonable hatchet job on poor Ryan Adams?
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

wood and iron

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:27:48 AM »
I was at the Screeching Weasel show last night, and I spoke to him at the airport today for a bit.

He overreacted but it wasn't just from heckling or something.  He flipped out after the girl spat her drink in his face (after she had already thrown beer--a lot of it--and icecubes at him).  He's losing money because of the cancelled dates but is making it up to the other bands, crew, etc, out of pocket.

I wouldn't trust anything coming from the management of the place, as they wanted him off stage long before any shit went down (since he kept talking about how dirty the green room was, how they were ripping off the bands and the audience, etc).  The girl left the show but the management called the cops.

Jim DeRogtis's take on what happened is pretty good.

Screeching Weasel was my favorite band when I was 14 and I still think they're good.  I missed the WFMU showcase AND the Goner party because I went there, and I didn't like the opening acts.

It is odd, the different attitude different bands have towards beer-throwing.  I saw a Personal & the Pizzas show where their shit shorted out from all the beer, so they just stopped playing.  I also think they were too drunk to continue.  Also I've seen plenty of obnoxious Gallagher-style bands that made me almost throw up from all the disgusting shit they spat at the crowd.

To be fair, Ben Weasel has displayed dickish behavior in the past (reforming the band without John Jughead).

Also, I heard reports that he was saying misogynistic stuff to the lady before she started acting a fool. True or false?

yesno

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
He certainly did say misogynistic things.  He had promised to give $20 to whoever pointed out who had thrown beer in his face, so that he could beat up said individual, or get beat up trying.  When it turned out to be a girl, he first promised to give the $20 to whichever girl beat up that girl, but then veered into more rude territory involving taking his dick out on stage for the first time in 20 years.  (I have a hard time believing the last time he did that was 1991.)

He had the $20 because someone threw it on stage after he bitched about not getting paid much for the show.  (The nighttime sxsw showcases, which have biggish headlining bands, charge non-badgeholders $20 to get in, but only give the acts a token amount.  I suppose they would point to the free daytime shows in defense.)

The Jughead-less band is sort of lame--everyone prefers "classic lineups"--but they were really good.  I understand they got into some sort of legal fight.

hardweek

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
I dunno, I just think that someone like Ben Weasel, who has spent a lifetime in punk rock and written and played volumes on the subject, should:
A) be at a place in his life where if there's things he doesn't want to do (ie play SXSW), don't do them.
B) have somewhere along the way developed strategies on how to deal with belligerent audiences.

Can't have it both ways. Can't complain about playing it then play it, can't goad people then complain about the response.

More than anything, I'm just getting sick of 50ish white dudes whose stars are fading acting like menchildren, calculated or not. It's the same thing, over and over, and it makes me spend alot less time in the world of pop culture.