Author Topic: Baker's brag  (Read 8705 times)

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
Baker's brag
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
I made the yummiest cake this weekend:  Banana Cake Layers with Milk Chocolate Ganache in the middle and Fresh Lemon and Passionfruit Alize Buttercreme icing. 
What did you bake?

Sarah

Re: Baker's brag
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:43:27 AM »
Nothing, but I'm working up the gumption to make coffee ice cream.  I'll steep whole beans and a scraped vanilla bean in hot sugary milk for an hour or two, then cook up that mixture with several egg yolks, and, finally, add a bunch of heavy cream and freeze the whole mess up.  I'm making it decaf, so I can clog my arteries in the evening.

I'm also vaguely considering making a sour cream-based cake of some sort, since I have an extra container of sour cream kicking around.  Moosewood has a good recipe for an orange cake that should work just fine.

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:42:18 AM »
I melted some baker's chocolate and mixed in some coconut cream, put it in a pie pan, and topped it with cherries.  Delicious and very rich.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
Homemade coffee ice cream is the best!  I still mourn my ice maker maker with the busted belt. I might try to fix it with duct tape, it works well on everything else.
I used sour cream in my milk chocolate ganache instead of heavy cream, just add the room temperature sour cream to the melted chocolate and stir til smooth, and use right away.
There is a great sour cream coffee cake recipe in the Cupcake Cafe's cookbook that uses sour cream instead of butter in the cake batter.
I like that chocolate-coconut creme pie, nice vegan option! Did you use the liquid or solid coconut creme?

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
I may experiment with sour cream ice cream.

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
Do that, it's used in European-style ice cream, without eggs and no cooking, just stir and freeze.  Substitute sour cream for some or all of the milk or cream in your recipe. 

Sarah

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Jawohl!

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »
I made the yummiest cake this weekend:  Banana Cake Layers with Milk Chocolate Ganache in the middle and Fresh Lemon and Passionfruit Alize Buttercreme icing. 
What did you bake?

A pepperoni hot pocket.

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
I have an ice cream maker that I got off of senorcorazon when he and his missus moved out of the neighborhood - I was thinking of trying to make ice cream w/coconut water, soy milk or almond milk ... has anyone w/a maker tried this? I guess I could try a straight swap out, cow milk for one of the above, but I'm wondering if I'd need to increase or decrease for whatever reason. Soy milk, for example ... seems like it's "heavier" than cow milk.

Just wondering ...
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
If you  use Edensoy, it has enough emulsifiers for a straight dairy swap.  For other soys, you may need to add 1/4 vegetable oil per quart (be careful to use a flavorless oil or one that will enhance  your flavor, like almond oil).  You will also need more sugar, if it's unsweetened soy, in your recipe, and a little salt to bring out flavors. 
Rice milk and other non-diary milks and creamers can be substituted without changing your basic recipe. 
Sorbets are great too and non-dairy.
Have fun churning! :D

~L

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
Next time you bake brownies try this:
Remove the baked brownies from the oven, place thin chocolate bars (like Ghiardelli's or Lindt, or Hersey's) on top, put the brownies back in the oven for 20 seconds, remove from the oven, smooth out the chocolate to cover the brownies completely, then cool completely and cut with a serrated knife.  "It's like Eating Brownie Ice Cream" says my kid! Not that that makes sense, but the brownies do morph into something amazing!

Sarah

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
I finally made sour cream ice cream.  Yesterday I made the usual custard base (2 c. whole milk, 3 eggs, vanilla (I used one bean, scraped), 7/8 c. sugar) and then stirred a pint container of sour cream into when it was cool.  I churned the ice cream this morning, and I'm eating some right now.  It is delicious.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
I finally made sour cream ice cream.  Yesterday I made the usual custard base (2 c. whole milk, 3 eggs, vanilla (I used one bean, scraped), 7/8 c. sugar) and then stirred a pint container of sour cream into when it was cool.  I churned the ice cream this morning, and I'm eating some right now.  It is delicious.

Next time try french onion dip!

Sarah

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
You make fun, but you would love it, Mr. from Knoxville.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »
That's too easy, though, because I love everything.