Author Topic: Shall We Rewatch Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip Together?  (Read 8645 times)

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: Shall We Rewatch Studio 60 at the Sunset Strip Together?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
I have no desire to revisit Studio 60. None. I watched in its first run and thought it was condescending and contemptible. Everyone involved with that show from the actors to the writers to the caterers should be ashamed of themselves for foisting that piece of pretentious and ponderous dreck upon the American public.

The only thing that was remotely enjoyable about that show was the episode where Sting played the lute. That's it.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

Greggulator

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 01:53:23 AM »
It looks like the Studio 60 tweets may have come to an end after their live tweet of tonight's fantastic episode hosted by Aziz Anzari with music guest Keysha as it appears the show was just CANCELLED while Tom Jeter's brother was captured, released, and then recaptured in Kabul in the matter of 90 minutes.

Whoever is behind this is truly brilliant and has my respect for life. I actually would RATHER not find out but it's pretty spectacular.

In honor, I'm currently on episode 6. Thoughts:

1) The Matt/Harriet/Darren Wells love triangle is the least interesting love triangle in the history of television.

2) I just met Tom's parents from that isolated backwater of Columbus, Ohio -- which is the furthest thing from a sizable metropolitan area with possibly the biggest state university in the country located smackdab in the middle of it.

3) I really, really, really wish that there was a spin-off of Nations.

4) Is it wrong for me to want this old guy to die? Like tragically? And I get to watch it?

5) I don't know who is more annoying: Jordan and her search for "friends" and Timothy Busfield's obsessive WW2 history fandom.

6) That scene w/ Simon Stiles and Matt Albee at the improv is even more painful to watch than it was to read Bill Simmons talking about how he thought he was black as a kid and his name was "La Bill". If I was the dude who got hired, I'd probably at least think of assaulting them for insulting me and then condescendingly talking to me when hiring me.

This show is so sublime. I can't get enough.
Listen to my basketball podcast! www.theholdingcourtpodcast.com

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 07:52:11 AM »
Just finished ep. 2. That Gilbert & Sullivan parody was timely!
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Chris L

• Space Champion!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
Just finished ep. 2. That Gilbert & Sullivan parody was timely!

Show the greatest frat comedians of them all some respect. (I just watched that one too)

Sarah

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
Just watched episode 1.

Sarah

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
Just watched episode 2.

Sarah

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
This show leaves me speechless.  Not because there's so much to say that I can't decide how to begin.  Not because my thoughts about it are too complex for me to put them into words.  No.  It's because, today anyway, I can't bear the thought of wasting my time commenting on such shallow, smug, uninspired twaddle.  Tomorrow, who knows?  I may feel different.  But for now I'm a little embarrassed to have written even this much.

Sarah

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
On the plus side, I feel like crap today, and it's great to have this dumb show to watch, because it's awful and I don't care about it.

A question: What is it exactly about the acting that makes it so very, very bad?  Is it that no one can deliver these lines plausibly?  Or is something else going on?

Christina

• Administrator
  • Space Champion!
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 10:16:11 PM »

A question: What is it exactly about the acting that makes it so very, very bad?  Is it that no one can deliver these lines plausibly?  Or is something else going on?

For me it gives off the same vibe that Rob Lowe in St Elmo's Fire gives off - you can almost physically feel the pressure coming from everyone in the movie and everyone who made the movie basically willing you to think that Rob Lowe is so fucking cool when he's playing that saxophone.

Same thing with this show. It's so horrible it's delightful - everybody in this thing is telegraphing so hard how vital this shit is. Aaron Sorkin probably gave this one note over and over and over again in rehearsal no matter how anyone read their lines.
Remember how he couldn't stop his leg?

Sarah

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 10:30:37 PM »
But it's just a show about a show!  How can it take itself so seriously?  It mystifies me.

Just finished episode 3.  Stray thoughts: 

* Amanda Peet was in way over her head. 

* It's pronounced "ar-tay," damn it.  (The mistake would irk me less if we weren't all supposed to be terribly impressed by the erudition on display.)

* I am having fun seeing Dan Stark in Danny Tripp.  Someday, when/if I finally watch The West Wing, no doubt I'll have just as much fun seeing him in Josh Lyman.

* So far, my favorite character, insofar as such a thing exists, is Cal Shanley.

Note:  I had a three-hour nap after my last post.

wood and iron

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
Other than snark and irony, what are you people getting out of this rewatch? I watched these when they were first run and have absolutely no tolerance to sit through them again.

Is this an MST3K thing where it's so bad it's good and you can just say witty things at the screen?

Greggulator

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
Other than snark and irony, what are you people getting out of this rewatch? I watched these when they were first run and have absolutely no tolerance to sit through them again.

Is this an MST3K thing where it's so bad it's good and you can just say witty things at the screen?

Yes.

Sarah

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:07 AM »
Hey, this is my first time. 

Greggulator

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 02:08:23 AM »
I just got through Nevada Day -- Part 1 AND Part 2.

I think what's really leaping out to me right now is that EVERY character more or less shares the same dry sense of humor. This is a show about the alleged funniest comedy writers and actors in the world -- you'd think that at least one of them wouldn't rely on deadpan reactions to absurd situations. How come the supposed funniest people alive -- and the people around them who all are incredibly well-educated and seemingly well-read people -- NEVER LAUGH?

Seriously -- I think I could actually MAYBE enjoy some of the Nevada scenes if Danny or someone just actually started to laugh at the oddity of it all.  I think that would give the audience permission to laugh at a scene they're supposed to laugh at. Instead, Danny has this smug view of it -- he's pretty much the audience proxy in those scenes and he's looking down on everyone (not just the Judge, but everyone) so why the hell am I supposed to enjoy something that he's bemused by since he's above it all?

The culture wars stuff is so annoying for another reason: Why the hell are you having a discussion about gay marriage when you have to probably rewrite a comedy show in about five hours? I know I'm not a genius along the lines of Matt Albie, but the last thing I ever want to do when I'm on a deadline for work is to quote Leviticus and civil law.

These episodes weren't as left wing as I thought they would be. Team Nevada have the sanctimonious position during these episodes and talk down to people that they have contempt for and power over.

Sorkin's rightfully been ripped for having no idea how to write a comedy sketch. But the scenes with Matt and Lucy show that he has no idea how to write any sort of comedic scene whatsoever.

I will say that the "Cheeses of Nazareth" sketch sounded like it had potential in my eyes.

Also: "Are you crazy about me or are you just crazy?" "I don't know." "Now he says it." That's possibly the worst dialogue ever written. Wow.

I absolutely LOVE this show.

amiright??

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
The feeds are actually DONE. Aren't they? So sad. I loved them.