Author Topic: off-limits topics  (Read 9111 times)

Tom Scharpling

• I RUN THIS.
  • Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: off-limits topics
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
I don't talk about my work because there are station rules, but I don't do it because just like I didn't want the radio show to turn into a Regular-Caller-A-Thon, I wouldn't want it to be me talking about things other than the show. It would get boring in about five minutes - trust me. I do the show to do the best version of the show, and while I am insanely proud of the things I work on in a variety of aspects of my life, they definitely have a home for discussion in other places. And the radio show is not one of those places.

Besides, I don't want to go to the show and talk about stuff that is essentially my day job. The Best Show is a break from other parts of my life!

Tom.

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
It's sort of staggering to me how Tom and Jon have even resisted plugging the CD releases of their own stuff from this very show all these years, especially when times were less sunny. Even when I hear Tom reference Jon at the end of the Gems podcast I always gasp a little.  Talk about principles, as well as commitment to the bit!

This might be silly on my part, but one of the things I enjoyed about becoming a Best Show fan was finding these things out for myself. Finding out who exactly this Jon Wurster guy was who was mentioned at the end of Gems. Of course it was kind of obvious he was the guy on the other end of the phone, but learning he was the drummer for Superchunk was kind of mind blowing.

I wasn't listening then, but did Tom really not mention his Stereolaffs CDs when they came out? That's impressive though it would have been simple enough to promote a "some of the best calls we've had on this show" type CD without breaking kayfabe or ruining the reality of the Newbridge-verse.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »
It's a WFMU rule to prevent self-promotion or backdoor advertising.

Is Andy Breckman grandfathered in or just tolerated?

Ken actually encourages it, often bringing up Monk or especially Rat Race before Andy does.

Pete from Boston [and NJ]

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 01:08:23 AM »
I think it's good class to just let the show be the show. 

Andy Breckman serves a valuable purpose by making a lazy effort toward class.  But Dave is right -- he's never the one to bring outside stuff up.  On the show he's the one who poo-poos much discussion of his work.

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
By the way: super-psyched about all these upcoming projects. This one has already been posted, yes?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/comedy-central-developing-evil-genius-comedy-starring-paul-f-tompkins/

Yes.  I too am very excited about this.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
By the way: super-psyched about all these upcoming projects. This one has already been posted, yes?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/comedy-central-developing-evil-genius-comedy-starring-paul-f-tompkins/

Yes.  I too am very excited about this.

Don't read the Claire Zulkey interview in that case.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

Trembling Eagle

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 03:50:03 AM »
The one thing I want Tom to talk about that  I've never seen him address on the show or in other media is his process playing Willie Nelson on ATHF.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
Alcohol, Tobacco, Handburgers and Firearms?

Crusherkc

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
Omigod!  Tom is Willie Nelson on The Shaving episode of AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE. I had either no idea or buried that memory.  Time to blow the dust off that dvd and give it a spin again.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

D.JGeorge

• Policemans heel
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »
Omigod!  Tom is Willie Nelson on The Shaving episode of AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE. I had either no idea or buried that memory.  Time to blow the dust off that dvd and give it a spin again.

His voice sounds different than wat we hear on the best show so I can see why people may have missed that one...soli episode and great voice acting by tom!

Boogdish

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
I was rewatching the UCB tv show last night and in the "Saigon Suicide Squadron" episode, I was surprised to see Tom in the audience.  He's a couple rows behind Matt Walsh when Matt is doing his drunken Irishman character.  Rob Cordry, Paul Scheer, Rob Riggle and Nick Kroll are also in the audience in that episode.
If you're not a job creator, you better step the fuck away from that hot dog machine.

Key Loser

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 10:10:37 AM »
I was rewatching the UCB tv show last night and in the "Saigon Suicide Squadron" episode, I was surprised to see Tom in the audience.  He's a couple rows behind Matt Walsh when Matt is doing his drunken Irishman character.  Rob Cordry, Paul Scheer, Rob Riggle and Nick Kroll are also in the audience in that episode.

Vortex! I watched that episode a few days ago! I almost jumped out of my seat.

Steeley Chris

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
Don't forget Tom's ladyfriend Jillian Barberie. She was there too, I think.
"Dad gets mad."

ChronoMojo

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »

His voice sounds different than wat we hear on the best show so I can see why people may have missed that one...soli episode and great voice acting by tom!

That episode of ATHF is actually what got me into the Best Show.

Crusherkc

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »

That episode of ATHF is actually what got me into the Best Show.

And I knew he was involved in the writing of ATHF (didn't know the voice work) and that cemented my high opinion of him and the show.
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!