Author Topic: 10 year reunion....  (Read 5664 times)

Andy

• Space Champion!
10 year reunion....
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
mine is next weekend.  I'm thinking about skipping.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Dan B

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
Re: 10 year reunion....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
My 0 year reunion is coming up.

Andy

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
My 0 year reunion is coming up.
you suck.  I can't believe how old I'm getting.
Breakfast- I'm havin' a time
Wheelies- I'm havin' a time
Headlocks- I'm havin' a time
Drunk Tank- not so much a time
George St.- I'm havin' a time
Brenda- I'm havin' a time
Bingo- I'm havin' a time
House Arrest- I'm still havin' a time

Richard_From_CHI

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »
My 10 year came and went more than a couple years ago. I didn't have much interest in those folks then and I sure don't now. I have kept in touch with the 2 or 3 people I gave a damn about and I have no interest in catching up with the rest. It isn't animosity but a sense of something like: hell I don't have time to hang out with the people I really like, why would I waste money and time to hang out with people I am utterly neutral toward.

Sarah

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:09:48 AM »
you suck.  I can't believe how old I'm getting.
I concur.  I just got an invitation to my thirtieth (college) reunion.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »
I (finally) graduated yesterday.

Donna Shalala makes me look tall.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
I (finally) graduated yesterday.

Donna Shalala makes me look tall.

Congratulations! Donna Shalala makes everyone look  tall.

Who was your commencement speaker? I had George Will.

Josh

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »
César Pelli.
Like him/hate the performing arts ctr.
"Alright, well, for the sake of this conversation, let's say the book does not exist."

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »
Oh god, the PDC is so hideous.

Tyrannosaurus Rocks

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:40:29 PM »
I like seeing the little tape mark on the floor. She is BOXED IN, she can't excape. She's reaching for help, did you pull her out?

I can't wait for when I graduate. I'm moving to Korea afterward. Make some money.
Who ever heard of a dinosaur with a head full of grease and an out of tune guitar?

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
Andy: Don't listen to the bitter.  You should go - I don't know anyone who went who regretted it.  Of those who didn't go, some regretted it later and some didn't.

I found it very interesting.  People who had changed tremendously, and people who hadn't.  Women (and men) who were uninteresting in high school who were now very self-assured and attractive.  Women (and men) who were the shit in high school but now were, errr, shit for real.

It's like people watching, but throw in the element that these are people from your town's past.

One chica got really trashed and wanted to hook up with everyone there.  I wouldn't recommend this option.  Nor would I recommend getting trashed at all on this occasion  - people were too likely to try to "make up for things" that only they remembered, and that's always a mistake.

The other trap - running into people you really were friends with back then, hitting it off again, and then thinking you might hang out with them again after the reunion.  Not going to happen.  A reunion is a funny little break from your real life.  It's no more than that.

NOTE: This applies to high school reunions ONLY.  My college class was 4200 people - I have no desire to go back and try to pick out the 15 people I still remember, if they are there at all.

Hope that helps.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

John Junk

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 12:48:02 PM »
I had a buddy in high school and we would play music together after school all the time.  Our 10 year high school reunion was last year, but we missed it.  We both live in L.A., but we were in the Parsippany High School Class of '96 (North Jersey forever!).  Anyway, we got our two person band back together to celebrate the occasion and to make soundtrack music for the reunion weekend that never happened.  Then, of course, we posted them on myspace: http://www.myspace.com/dodonger

Jon Solomon

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 01:38:08 PM »
Buffcoat = correct.

High school reunion = yes. Fun!

College reunion = no. Confusing!

JS

Andy: Don't listen to the bitter.  You should go - I don't know anyone who went who regretted it.  Of those who didn't go, some regretted it later and some didn't.

I found it very interesting.  People who had changed tremendously, and people who hadn't.  Women (and men) who were uninteresting in high school who were now very self-assured and attractive.  Women (and men) who were the shit in high school but now were, errr, shit for real.

It's like people watching, but throw in the element that these are people from your town's past.

One chica got really trashed and wanted to hook up with everyone there.  I wouldn't recommend this option.  Nor would I recommend getting trashed at all on this occasion  - people were too likely to try to "make up for things" that only they remembered, and that's always a mistake.

The other trap - running into people you really were friends with back then, hitting it off again, and then thinking you might hang out with them again after the reunion.  Not going to happen.  A reunion is a funny little break from your real life.  It's no more than that.

NOTE: This applies to high school reunions ONLY.  My college class was 4200 people - I have no desire to go back and try to pick out the 15 people I still remember, if they are there at all.

Hope that helps.
Hello.

erika

• Space Champion!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:11:25 AM »
mine is supposed to be this year and i'm excited to go, but the girl organizing it is being a total martyr. despite many offers to help, she's taking on all the responsibility herself and not sharing any info... like, for instance the DATE of the reunion. she won't even answer direct questions about it -- just says she's sending out packets of info.

did anyone else take issue with the fact that their high school class president will be the only person organizing reunions for the rest of their lives? maybe i'm just unnecessarily bitchy but i'd hate to see this chick organizing this thing and being all weepy about having to do it herself for our 20, 30, etc.
from the land of pleasant living

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »
A committee of 8 organized mine, not including the class president, who is a good guy but, um, unreliable.

All of them said they weren't going to do it again for the 20th, so that may never happen, but the 10th was great.

Another lesson from the reunion: people with one bad character flaw sometimes reform - but sometimes they organize their ENTIRE LIVES around that one bad character flaw, sort of becoming life-sized shrines to their own awfulness.

Erika, it sort of sounds like your organizer has built such a shrine.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!