Author Topic: Underrated Best Show Strengths  (Read 22768 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Underrated Best Show Strengths
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
Hey! Fantasy Island was no sitcom! Show some respect!

I was young.  Perhaps I misinterpreted the nyucks between Tattoo and Mr. Roark and Don Rickles... err, Adams.

I only got to see the first few minutes of FI if we had a babysitter.  The end of Love Boat generally meant the end of the night for me.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Eric Fishlegs

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
I want to re-point out the HervĂ© Villechaize impression from this week's show.  Who would do an Villechaize impression in 2012, much less characterize him as such a brutal villain?  I replayed that part three times and couldn't stop laughing.

I think it's great that so many younger people listen to a show that's so full of references to 70s sitcoms.  Yer gettin' yer histry lessons right chere, Junior.

I'm 22 and most of my friends and I grew up on 70's sitcoms anyway because of Nick at Nite.

Thanks to Nick at Nite I even got Tom's impression of Joe E. Ross.

Dan of Orange

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
Apart from the awesome entertainment, I have personally talked to quite a few FoTs who have taken Tom's set of values (as near as we know them from the show anyway) to fine tune their existence in a most positive way...and isn't that grand?
Of all the guys, I am one of them.
http://danoforange.blogspot.com/

InspectorHound

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:01 PM »
Tom's knowledge of every zip code in New Jersey

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
When he hangs up on people who are nice to him or when they start off a call with praise and he simply responds "What's on your miiiiiiiiiiiiiind"
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

cavorting with nudists

• Space Champion!
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
The way Tom will interrupt himself in the middle of a five-minute rant about what a total jerk somebody is with "Look--I'm not gonna get down on this guy."
"Another thing that interests me about The Eagles is that I hate them." -- Robert Christgau

Dennis

• Policemans heel
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:31 AM »
tom is a true patriot.  who else is brave enough to address obama's control of gas prices?

roman

• Policemans heel
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
Whenever Joe Rogan gets brought up, I can't help but laugh.  Don't remember what episode it was, but Tom describing Rogan's isolation tank had me laughing out loud on public transit.

Lawrence Orbach

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
Tom's laser-accurate impersonations, with the exception of when he does AP Mike. It's so intentionally bad, which makes it incredibly hilarious.

fonpr

• Space Champion!
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:02 PM »
Tom's laser-accurate impersonations, with the exception of when he does AP Mike. It's so intentionally bad, which makes it incredibly hilarious.
He sounds like a Scare-Crow.
"Like it or not, Florida seems dedicated to a 'live fast, die' way of doing things."

Sashamak

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
The power of Tom's "catch phrase" "Who da thunk it?".

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
Whenever Joe Rogan gets brought up, I can't help but laugh.  Don't remember what episode it was, but Tom describing Rogan's isolation tank had me laughing out loud on public transit.

I wanna say on Marc Maron's first appearance...when they were talking about the guests on WTF that were less forthcoming or were frustrating.  Maybe?

then I wanna say...Mason? no Clifford!
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

AllSussedOut

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:29 AM »
I think the greatest strength, as pointed out by a Podmass reviewer earlier in the year, is that Tom comes up with this stuff even though there's no writing and no preparation whatsoever involved in his show.

Nope.  None.

nrt4

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »
The show's ability to make me sing "Boat!" in-place of "Jet" during a family road trip.
Damn you Philly Boy Roy!

Barry in Ireland

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
"Let me paint."