Author Topic: New Listening Party - Meet Scharpling AND Wurster.  (Read 21997 times)

Sarah

Re: New Listening Party - Meet Scharpling AND Wurster.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:47:32 PM »
I can't believe I'm really so unusual--although perhaps I am unique among FOT in this regard (or at least among frequent FOT posters/chatters). 

I also must note that I'm more precisely a stick-in-the-mud than a shut-in.  I do still venture outside from time to time.  For now.

Jason

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 12:48:39 PM »
Laurie keep looking.

Really, I can't stress how much of a one off this. After the last meet-up the tentative plan was to have another one towards the end of the summer but unique circumstances dictated next tuedsay.

Martin

• Space Champion!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
Even though it would only set me back about $1,000 (what, you're not made of money?), I probably won't make it.

I am jealous though.

Dorvid Barnas

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 02:10:36 PM »
I'm still on the fence; a ride-along buddy/gas-chipper-inner would make it more feasible.
Or perhaps there's someone rolling through Northern Virginia who could pick me up? I'm half a mile off of 95.
I can't afford a hotel so I'd either be returning that night or staying at the Chateau Lombardi.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
Unfortunately, flights to Newark and La Guardia are ridiculous.  Philly's OK but is a 90 minute to 2 hour drive, and I gotta be back at work. 

You all have a great time, though.

Reminds me of the time I was going to see Wurster do comedy at the Cat's Cradle - I got sick about 4 hours before.  I was on the floor in agony still saying, "I think we can make the show - he never does standup!," but the throwing up got in the way.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Laurie

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
I have a feeling my boss will say NO if I ask for two more days off next month, especially since one of my co-workers will also be off on Wednesday of that week (and possibly Tuesday, as she has jury duty on Monday).

WAH. I'll call Triple A, see if I can't get a roundtrip price of around $100. If someone can hook me up with couchspace for Tuesday night, and my boss will say yes to Tuesday and (maybe part of) Wednesday off, I will be good to go. I might be able to get her to say yes if I agree to come in on Wednesday from, like, 1 pm-7 pm, depending on when my return flight comes in.

bobby.

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 04:53:35 PM »
Wurster do comedy

I did not know this! Any recordings or whatnot?!
BEST SHOW: EXERCISE AND EATING WELL

Rainer

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
Friggin' figures.  I'm flying back home on the 8th to decommission my Baltimore rowhouse.  Oh well, next time.

You in attendance: pictures please.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 09:19:29 AM »
B,

I think he only did 10 minutes or so.  There's an account elsewhere on the net where he talks about doing standup - apparently he kept changing his appearance (shaving off his beard between sets, etc.) and the audience completely didn't get what he was doing.

He's also done a couple of bits on the Conan O'Brien show, but I've never seen those either.

buffcoat
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Laurie

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »
MY BOSS SAID OKAY! YAY!

I need to figure out where I'm staying before I book any plane tickets. If some generous FOT wants to let me stay at their house overnight on Tuesday, please speak now. I don't need a bed or even a futon. I'll take a couch, gladly. I will be leaving on an early, early flight out of Newark on Wednesday, if everything goes according to plan, so, uh, what Josh said. Don't worry, I'll make taxi arrangements or something, and I'll try to be quiet as I exit.

Jason

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
Wow, good show. I may be able to pick you up from the airport at least.

Laurie

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »
Wow, good show. I may be able to pick you up from the airport at least.

Thanks, that would be great. Based on the flights I looked at yesterday, I would probably get in by around noon-ish...

I'm going to call AAA today and see what I can do re: flights. I don't want to spend more than $200-250MAX, so we'll see what can be done with that. God, I hope I didn't wait too long and they're all booked. Shouldn't be too hard, as I only need one seat.

Josh, or anyone else traveling and staying over night, let me know if you have a place to stay. If I get my flight sorted and everything else figured out, I may wind up booking a room at the Hyatt right by the Iron Monkey for convenience. Hotels.com has a cheaper rate than the one on Hyatt's official website, and maybe I can get a better deal elsewhere... If someone wants to shack up with me and knock a quarter of the room rate (that's $57.25) my way, that would be fine. Please private message meeeee.

This is still just a maybe. I'll know more later tonight or tomorrow.

CRAP: Now both the departing and returning flights are $174... I'll see what AAA can do for me. Still, I can afford it. I just got my tax refund back, so it's still possible.

Jason

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2007, 01:13:25 PM »
There's also a Doubletree and a Candlewood suites very close by although they didn't have availability last time I checked, might be worth checking anyway.

Also the Holland motor lodge - http://www.hollandmotorlodge.com/

I'd gladly let everyone crash on the floor of my tiny apartment if I was on my own or if I'd moved into my new house sooner.

Grimlock

Da Floor
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »
Hey kiddies: I checked with Grimlocka and she ok'd a limited FOT sleepover.

Here's the problem(s):

1. We can fit one person (on a foldout couch.)

2. We are not too far from the Iron Monkey, but far enough that you will need to get a ride/take a cab to our place. I have a two-seat hybrid which precludes guests from sitting anywhere but on the stick shift, which I discourage heartily. If an FOT can offer a ride to you to my apartment (which is right by the Holland tunnel on Manila Ave) that would rock.

3. We have two cats. If you are allergic, they will make you sneeze.

4. We're close (10 minute walk) to PATH train, so if you need to go back to airport/whatever, you can do it pretty easily, if you allow for a lot of time. There's also a $25 cab back to EWR. A1 taxi.

5. We both have work on Wednesday, so will need to throw you out end our sleepover early AM.

And that's it.

I don't know who to pick, and I hate not to pick everyone, so I guess I'll let you all fight it out.

Perhaps a dance-off is in order? Or an Acrowar challenge to the death?

Grimlock

PS: Those with Star Wars jammies take precedent.

Laurie

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »
Plane tickets PURCHASED! Am I CRAZY? MAYBE!

I'm so hardcore, I should put X's in front of my name!