Author Topic: Sound collage samples  (Read 128814 times)

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
Re: Audio Collage Pieces
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
I assume that was Tony Curtis talking about John Lennon. You know who I wonder about?  That guy backstage that Paul Stanley was talking to, who told him that a lot of the audience members like drinking vodka and orange juice. How did this person know this?  And are all of Paul Stanley's backstage conversations this fascinating?

He seems to have this particular conversation a lot. Also, nearly every night he has a conversation with "a reporter from your local newspaper" about how KISS is all washed up.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Crusherkc

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
"I heard a lotta you PEOPLE out there like the taste of...mo-HEE-tos!" (cloppity-cloppity clop, clop-clop, cloppity-cloppity clop, clop-clop)
Vandalism! Sick vandalism! When I get my hands on the little punks I'm gonna hang them by their Buster Browns!

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2013, 04:18:45 AM »
What's the guitar riff that goes "Wha Woo"?

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2013, 05:07:59 AM »

First few seconds of "I want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News ... unless you're talking about a different part of the collage.
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2013, 05:09:25 AM »

First few seconds of "I want a New Drug" by Huey Lewis and the News ... unless you're talking about a different part of the collage.

That was it!

Bernard

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure unless memory fails that the original stereo pressings of White Light/White Heat had the spoken word part of "The Gift" all the way over on one channel and the instrumental "Booker T" all the way on the other.

That's true! A few months ago during the Invisible Man / Invisible Hipster monologue, I threw together 90 seconds of audio from the movie with the right channel of "The Gift." Maybe I should take the Invisible Hipster dialogue and put it on the left channel! When you have the instrument track isolated, the possibilities are endless!

Here's "The Gift" vs. "The Invisible Man" if you're interested:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upueie46psp2p81/The%20Gift%20Vs%20The%20Invisible%20Man.mp3

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #186 on: November 07, 2013, 03:00:39 AM »
This week's version of the collage featured: "It's Over", by Roy Orbinson, and a very brief snippet of Freddie Mercury singing "goodbye, everybody", "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Also featured: The hushed scatting intro to Bowie's "Queen Bitch" ... ("Bowie was a great Velvet Underground fan and wrote the song in tribute to the band and Lou Reed"):

David Bowie - Queen Bitch

And also AP mike's rendition of "Fish Heads" by Barnes & Barnes

Fish Heads - Barnes and Barnes (1979)
"He didn't sound like a human when I was talking to him ... he sounded like a shape ... what's that shape of that building ... you know, where the Army lives?" -- Bryce, 11/24/2009

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #187 on: November 07, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure unless memory fails that the original stereo pressings of White Light/White Heat had the spoken word part of "The Gift" all the way over on one channel and the instrumental "Booker T" all the way on the other. So it was a simple matter for some genius to reproduce the instrumental on both channels and come up with a monster mono jam. Wow.

The part with the isolated John Cale brought back some memories for me. When I was in college I roomed in a place with a bunch of stoners, and one of them was a really funny dude named Jim. People liked to hang out in Jim's room and listen to LPs. The experience was enhanced by sitting in the "energy dome" which was a vintage beauty store blow-dryer chair that Jim had trashpicked. There were a few weeks where one of the speakers on Jim's stereo was blown out. This had a pronounced effect on listening to records with gratuitous channel separation.

So I have a memory of listening to The Gift while sitting "under the dome". It was pretty much an isolated track of Cale's narration, with a very faint, almost subliminal hint of the left-channel instrumental. And all these years later, Tom has brought a facsimile of this experience to a larger dome of listernership(s).

Its like that on the Box set, too.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #188 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but what is the clip with the British guy? Is that Steve Coogan?

paul

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #189 on: November 07, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »
which is better: the Collective Soul "Yeah!" or Smash Mouth "SOME-"?

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
There was an angular rhythm guitar sample in ths week's collage that sounded like Gang of Four's "Not Great Men", but I'm not sure that's what it was.

daveB from Oakland

• Space Champion!
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »

SILVERBEARS

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »
I am really disappointed. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( 

On the 10/22/13 at 1:55:25  a dude called in and did this like crappy impersonation solo of Coheed and Cambria.  Tom said it would be in the audio collage but I haven't heard it yet.  It was hilarious and I would love to see it used.

Also he seems to have forgot about
"Hi I'm Dennis"

Shaggy 2 Grote

• Space Champion!
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure unless memory fails that the original stereo pressings of White Light/White Heat had the spoken word part of "The Gift" all the way over on one channel and the instrumental "Booker T" all the way on the other.

That's true! A few months ago during the Invisible Man / Invisible Hipster monologue, I threw together 90 seconds of audio from the movie with the right channel of "The Gift." Maybe I should take the Invisible Hipster dialogue and put it on the left channel! When you have the instrument track isolated, the possibilities are endless!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/upueie46psp2p81/The%20Gift%20Vs%20The%20Invisible%20Man.mp3

This is cool.
Oh, good heavens. I didn’t realize. I send my condolences out to the rest of the O’Connor family.

Joe Rogaine

• Space Champion!
« Reply #194 on: November 08, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »

This is cool.

What's the invisible hipster?