Author Topic: Paul Stanley: Painter and "Guitar God"  (Read 7600 times)

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
Paul Stanley: Painter and "Guitar God"
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »

I know Paul Stanley's art has been discussed on the board before, but the caption on this image from the AP bears sharing.

"Kiss guitarist Paul Stanley poses amongst some of his paintings in his home studio in Beverly Hills, Calif., Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2009. Stanley says he was the most surprised guy on the planet when he, an art-class washout from New York City's High School of Music and Art, suddenly began to make the transition from guitar god to serious painter eight years ago."

P.S. I was forunate enough to see his paintings at the Short Hills Mall last year. Wait, what does "fortunate" mean again?
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

nec13

• Space Champion!
Re: Paul Stanley: Painter and "Guitar God"
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »
I don't know if you have heard it or not, but you should do yourself a favor and look for the bootleg album of Paul Stanley stage banter. It's called "People, Let Me Get This Off My Chest." It's hilarious and it's the best Kiss solo album.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
I don't know if you have heard it or not, but you should do yourself a favor and look for the bootleg album of Paul Stanley stage banter. It's called "People, Let Me Get This Off My Chest." It's hilarious and it's the best Kiss solo album.

Seconded.  I have these (there are two) on my iPod and on random they come up quite often (150 total tracks).  Always fun.  So many comments about Sweden.
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

JonFromMaplewood

• Space Champion!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:51:02 PM »

Seconded.  I have these (there are two) on my iPod and on random they come up quite often (150 total tracks).  Always fun.  So many comments about Sweden.

I have heard the stage banter before it got pulled off the web. 

They Might Be Giants have a song off of their podcast called "P.S.O.K." which samples Paul Stanley's stage banter and it is pretty good, even though I maxed out on They Might Be Giants a while back.
"I'm riding the silence like John Cage up in this piece." -Tom Scharpling

masterofsparks

• Space Champion!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 10:13:12 PM »
The second volume of Paul Stanley stage banter is called 'Honey, That Ain't No Pistol' if anyone wants to search the interwebs for it.

I'd imagine they're still out there, but I can share if they're not.
I'll probably go into the wee hours.

courtney

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:51:29 PM »
Gawd, those paintings are so bad ... so bad ...

And I made the mistake of returning to art school so I look at horrible art crap almost every day. It's amazing what people will buy.

nec13

• Space Champion!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »
I think that painting in the lower right hand corner is supposed to be Gene Simmons.
Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor.

dave from knoxville

• Space Champion!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
I think that painting in the lower right hand corner is supposed to be Gene Simmons.

I am pretty sure the one over his right shoulder is Anne Coulter

Spalding

• Achilles bursitis
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:25:28 PM »
I'm more annoyed with his self-description as a "guitar god." Does this make Ace or Vinnie Vincent the "guitar Zeus?"

mcphee from the forum

• Tarsel tunnel syndrome
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
I'm not sure that was a self-description.

This is why I love Paul Stanley:

AVC: You turn 55 in January. Do you ever see yourself retiring?

PS: From what? What is there to retire from? I'm a musician. I write about my life, and I love what I do, and nobody wants me to retire except the people who hate what I do. Guess what? They don't get their way. Nobody at a party ever asks when it's going to end. It's only the neighbors who ask.

from this interview:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-stanley,14028/
My mommy made me boots.

reallynotclever

• Plantar Fasciitis
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 02:16:58 AM »
I'm more annoyed with his self-description as a "guitar god." Does this make Ace or Vinnie Vincent the "guitar Zeus?"
He's "Second To None", track 7 on his latest solo effort "Live To Win".  He is A "guitar god", in the world according to Paul.  I meet him randomly, through A distant relative in 1993.  A very nice person, for whatever that's worth.  I got quite A giggle from the itunes page for his latest solo album "Live To Win".  Every track is insane.  I missed the kiss boat, backwards and forwards.  I have to admit, I would love to love myself as much as Paul loves Paul.  To look into the mirror, and always see superman staring back at me.  I'm petitioning VH-1 right now to sign Paul to an exclusive contract.  I want to see Paul Stanley's "Strutter", or maybe "She's So European".  Now please!   

chrisfoll577

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
His Statue of Liberty kind of looks like something by a brain damaged Leroy Nieman.  The one on the right looks like it could be the cover art for a corporate alt.rock band circa 1996.

buffcoat

• Space Champion!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »
He's "Second To None", track 7 on his latest solo effort "Live To Win".  He is A "guitar god", in the world according to Paul.  I meet him randomly, through A distant relative in 1993.  A very nice person, for whatever that's worth.  I got quite A giggle from the itunes page for his latest solo album "Live To Win".  Every track is insane.  I missed the kiss boat, backwards and forwards.  I have to admit, I would love to love myself as much as Paul loves Paul.  To look into the mirror, and always see superman staring back at me.  I'm petitioning VH-1 right now to sign Paul to an exclusive contract.  I want to see Paul Stanley's "Strutter", or maybe "She's So European".  Now please!   

I believe "She's So European" is a Gene.  At least it's sung by Gene.  That whole album is really, really bad.

At least, it's no "Music from the Elder."
I really don't appreciate your sarcastic, anti-comedy tone, Bro!

Wes

• Achilles Tendon Bursitis
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
At least, it's no "Music from the Elder."

Let's not just outright dismiss Music From the Elder here. I expect more from you, of all people. Are you going to tell me that you don't snap your fingers along to the finger-snapping section on "I"?  And what about "Dark Light", where Ace not only gets to rock out, but also gets to sing the line "a malevolent order" only when he sings it, it comes out as "a malevellin' ow-duh?"
This may be the year I will disappear.

KickTheBobo

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »
he's pretty much just subconsciously (I hope) ripping off Neiman & Peter Max with the palette, and the actual rendering is pretty immature 8th grade art class type stuff, but I don't wanna rip on the dude for trying out a new artistic medium. those abstracts are mighty shitty, but nothing worse than I would occasionally see in art school.

Out of all celebrity painters, the one that irks me the most has got to be Martin Mull, probably because he does actually have talent in the visual arts, but you KNOW that he is totally a dick about it.